Tenet (2020)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I mean, that's like the entire premise of the movie. Your complaints are kind of like watching Dracula and then complaining about how it sucks because vampires aren't real.

Any time travel at all is a causality violation. This one was interesting mostly for a different take on that and how it could work, rather than the usual handwaving around predestination or multiple timelines. Having changes propagate backwards through time with no respect to a privileged viewpoint is a bit of a mindfuck - cause and effect become irretrievably scrambled when from your point of view, what happened 5 minutes ago suddenly changes to reflect something that hasn't happened yet. It does make for some amazing action sequences though.

We all know time travel is fiction, and requires a certain suspension of disbelief. But this movie goes beyond that and just ignores science to support the premise. Go watch the explanation scene again. They don't really explain anything. He fires the gun and catches the bullet, no problem. But, when he tries to catch the bullet on the table, it doesn't work at first. She says "you have to already have dropped it." So, he thinks for a second, and tries again and it works. He mumbles something about it having to be instinctive. They don't tell us why it worked the second time. It's implied that the inverted bullet is reacting to, what? Human thought? Intent? And why did he have no issue catching the bullet with the gun?

Yeah. there's some cool scenes, but it's all style, no substance. All I said was the movie would have been better if the science made more sense. The fact that it doesn't, and is based on hand-waving timey-wimey bullshit, is just a bit distracting and dissapointing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go watch the explanation scene again. They don't really explain anything. He fires the gun and catches the bullet, no problem. But, when he tries to catch the bullet on the table, it doesn't work at first. She says "you have to already have dropped it." So, he thinks for a second, and tries again and it works. He mumbles something about it having to be instinctive. They don't tell us why it worked the second time. It's implied that the inverted bullet is reacting to, what? Human thought? Intent? And why did he have no issue catching the bullet with the gun?

She then says "don't think about it too much" which doesn't really help.

• 2Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
She then says "don't think about it too much" which doesn't really help.

I think what she says is "Don't try to understand it." Basically the writers telling you, yeah, it doesn't make sense and we're too lazy to do anything about it, let's move on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think what she says is "Don't try to understand it." Basically the writers telling you, yeah, it doesn't make sense and we're too lazy to do anything about it, let's move on.
Correct, it's "don't try to understand it. Feel it." Which is worse than I remember.

• 2Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I think that sums this movie up perfectly. After you've watched it, it "feels" like you just saw a really good movie. It's only when you start thinking that you realize it was bad.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Correct, it's "don't try to understand it. Feel it." Which is worse than I remember.

And it's kind of a weird choice for how to explain it. 2 humans interacting with an inverted object, instead of inverting the protagonist. Well, yeah, then they wouldn't be able to do the cool stuff with the magic bullet. On a slightly more subtle angle, they could have chosen to explain it backwards to go with the movies theme.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
We all know time travel is fiction, and requires a certain suspension of disbelief. But this movie goes beyond that and just ignores science to support the premise. Go watch the explanation scene again. They don't really explain anything. He fires the gun and catches the bullet, no problem. But, when he tries to catch the bullet on the table, it doesn't work at first. She says "you have to already have dropped it." So, he thinks for a second, and tries again and it works. He mumbles something about it having to be instinctive. They don't tell us why it worked the second time. It's implied that the inverted bullet is reacting to, what? Human thought? Intent? And why did he have no issue catching the bullet with the gun?

Yeah. there's some cool scenes, but it's all style, no substance. All I said was the movie would have been better if the science made more sense. The fact that it doesn't, and is based on hand-waving timey-wimey bullshit, is just a bit distracting and dissapointing.

The entire movie fucks with our understanding of causality and is one of the themes. It's not "just ignoring science" it's a required and integral part of the premise.

I also don't think you're understanding the inverted gun scene

• 1Picard

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The entire movie fucks with our understanding of causality and is one of the themes. It's not "just ignoring science" it's a required and integral part of the premise.

I also don't think you're understanding the inverted gun scene

Ok, then. Explain to me what the protagonist does that allows him to catch the bullet on the table.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok, then. Explain to me what the protagonist does that allows him to catch the bullet on the table.

The first time he's trying to force lift it like a jedi, the second time he's reverse dropping it.

Do you understand how retarded it is to be hung up on causality on a movie that's all about non-linear time? That's the entire point of the movie, jesus christ.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The first time he's trying to force lift it like a jedi, the second time he's reverse dropping it.

Do you understand how retarded it is to be hung up on causality on a movie that's all about non-linear time? That's the entire point of the movie, jesus christ.

Reverse dropping it? Explain that. Is it just a specific hand movement? Or is he just thinking about it a certain way?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Reverse dropping it? Explain that. Is it just a specific hand movement? Or is he just thinking about it a certain way?

Keep telling yourself you're a scientific genius because you identified the "BUT TIME DOESN'T GO BACKWARDS!!!" flaw in a movie about time going backwards. Just wait until you realize they're all actors and are just pretending

Expecting big scientific breakthroughs from you.

• 1WTF

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Well I'm glad some people like it enough to discuss it this much. There are way worse things than being polarizing.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Keep telling yourself you're a scientific genius because you identified the "BUT TIME DOESN'T GO BACKWARDS!!!" flaw in a movie about time going backwards. Just wait until you realize they're all actors and are just pretending

Expecting big scientific breakthroughs from you.

Just answer the question, Claire.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just answer the question, Claire.

I already did. I'm not playing the stupid game of "and then what?" over and over so you can feel smart about disproving time travel in a fucking movie.

You're not smart for realizing that any time travel movie has problems with causality, which is why it's one of the first things brought up and even touched on it again at the end. You're just another retard who thinks nobody should make a movie involving time travel unless they invent it first.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I already did. I'm not playing the stupid game of "and then what?" over and over so you can feel smart about disproving time travel in a fucking movie.

You're not smart for realizing that any time travel movie has problems with causality, which is why it's one of the first things brought up and even touched on it again at the end. You're just another retard who thinks nobody should make a movie involving time travel unless they invent it first.

You could just admit that you can't answer the question, it's really not a big deal.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You could just admit that you can't answer the question, it's really not a big deal.

I told you, he reverse dropped it. You even quoted it, so how you can you pretend I didn't answer it? You having a stroke or are you literally retarded?

You asking me to "explain how" is, again, you thinking you're too smart for something you actually don't understand. It's a meaningless question because reversing entropy isn't a real thing. It is a real thing in the movie, and is clearly shown and explained what's happening yet somehow you didn't grasp any of it.

There's a lot of confusing things in the movie, you're can't get past one of the things it actually spells out for you.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well I'm glad some people like it enough to discuss it this much. There are way worse things than being polarizing.

First time or two I watched it I was in the "Wtf is this?" camp. Then started figuring out a lot of the things that didn't make sense actually did, and it became a cool little puzzle putting it together. I can definitely understand people not enjoying it. It's not something you're going to put on and relax to, or in the background and get a lot out of it. But what it does try and do it does amazingly well

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I told you, he reverse dropped it. You even quoted it, so how you can you pretend I didn't answer it? You having a stroke or are you literally retarded?

You asking me to "explain how" is, again, you thinking you're too smart for something you actually don't understand. It's a meaningless question because reversing entropy isn't a real thing. It is a real thing in the movie, and is clearly shown and explained what's happening yet somehow you didn't grasp any of it.

There's a lot of confusing things in the movie, you're can't get past one of the things it actually spells out for you.

Reverse dropping isn't a thing. It's a phrase you cobbled together to try to explain what he does, while at the same time refusing to define it. I asked you to explain what it means and you resort to insults instead. You claim the movie spells it out, when I've already pointed out that it clearly doesn't, it's just lazy handwaving.

Continuing this argument is pointless, since you can't even admit the possibility that your head canon might be wrong.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The arguing makes me glad that I bumped this thread after being inactive for over a year. I plan on watching the movie maybe over the weekend.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users