Tequila

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
rrr_img_125118.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Isn't most cheap tequila (stuff not labeled 100%) like 51% agave tequila and 49% vodka?
I haven't heard that. There is definitely some cheap tequila that's 100% blue agave, but they use younger plants.

But this is from Wiki and I didn't know this.

The blue agave plant has spiked leaves and a round, fleshy core (the pi?a). The leaves are chopped off and the core is cooked and crushed to create juice, which is fermented and distilled to make tequila. The resulting unaged, clear tequila is then diluted with water to bring the alcohol content down to around 40%.[19] Pure tequila is distilled 100% from the sap of the blue agave plant, while mixto tequilas only need to be at least 51% blue agave in order to legally be called tequila.[13] In 1964, tequila makers were allowed to obtain up to 30% of the sugars in tequila from sources other than the agave plant.[12] During a blue agave shortage in the 1970s, Mexican regulations were further revised to require that tequila contain only 51.5% agave.[14] Agave plants take 10 to 12 years to mature and become ripe, while sugarcane can be harvested every year, so blending the agave spirit with sugarcane spirit is a cheaper method, while using 100% blue agave plant is more expensive.[6]

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I only heard about it because on reddit someone posted this "new" spirit which is advertised as tequila + vodka. Sounds pretty rough right? But then a bunch of people were basically saying that is just pretty much the same as cheap tequila. Only difference is this brand was straight up telling you about it and was claiming to use "ultra premium triple charcoal filtered quadruple distilled" vodka. But from your link it sounds like it isn't cut with vodka just generic sugar liquor.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Am I just a liquor noob but wtf is the difference in all the liquors that are 40% ABV? I always hear "I make bad decisions with tequila" or "vodka is hardcore shit" but aren't they all the same in terms of get-you-fucked-up? I have never noticed any difference whatsoever, but I'm hardly a big drinker.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I find it extremely, extremely easy to drink 80 proof tequila compared to whiskey or scotch. Tequila can go down like water and it seems to hit you all at once. The worst drunk of my life was off tequila. I was puking for like 8 hours straight. Where with vodka I'd throw up a few times and then just pass out.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Am I just a liquor noob but wtf is the difference in all the liquors that are 40% ABV? I always hear "I make bad decisions with tequila" or "vodka is hardcore shit" but aren't they all the same in terms of get-you-fucked-up? I have never noticed any difference whatsoever, but I'm hardly a big drinker.
I think all it comes down to is that some people prefer certain spirits or particular mixed drinks and end up drinking more of them than they would otherwise. There's no scientific or biological reason that drinking X amount of rye vs. Y amount of gin is going to fuck you up any more or less, assuming the actual amount of ethanol consumed remains the same. I mean yeah, I'm going to get a lot more fucked up drinking triple vodka Red Bulls than beer, but that's mainly because I can down 20+ ounces of vodka in an hour or two if I'm mixing it with Red Bull. Not a fucking chance I can drink beer that quickly. Not to mention that the caffeine in Red Bull will also keep you vertical longer, allowing you to consume more booze before you pass out or become completely incoherent.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Dude...are you seriously a vodka Red Bull drinker? I figured you were kind of a bro, but not that bro.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
haha, only if/when I'm getting shit faced and looking to cause problems. Most of the time I just drink beer, sometimes I'll drink jack and water with a squeeze of lime. But otherwise I very rarely drink much spirits, cocktails or highballs. I'm not a bro at all, and am deeply hurt that you would suggest such a thing.