Terminator Zero

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Terminator Zero

Genre: Animation, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2024-08-29

Creator: Mattson Tomlin

Cast: Timothy Olyphant, Rosario Dawson, André Holland, Sonoya Mizuno, Ann Dowd

Overview: 2022: A future war has raged for decades between the few human survivors and an endless army of machines. 1997: the AI known as Skynet gained self-awareness and began its war against humanity. Caught between the future and this past is a soldier sent back in time to change the fate of humanity.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
From the studio behind 1995 Ghost in the Shell and got Timothy Olyphant voicing in it? Sign me up

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I love all things Terminator so of course I'm excited for this (and Alien) while not getting my hopes up too much.

That said it's kind of bizarre to me that this isn't a future war show. The obstacle to doing anything with the future war has always been budget, and we've never gotten a movie or show really showing Cameron's version of the war. Salvation was its own thing and had more in common with Mad Max.

An anime is a chance to do future war stuff despite the budgetary requirements, and instead they're just doing the same old thing Terminator always does, with an assassin and time travel and yada yada.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That movie cover makes my dick softer than Nutella. What is this shit?
15287-xVuha9yrNZY9JE8c5sEuCIFwsJt.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I can endure The Sarah Conner Chronicles, I can endure this. Anything Terminator, Aliens, or Predator I consume. It's like an addiction.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
If I can endure The Sarah Conner Chronicles, I can endure this. Anything Terminator, Aliens, or Predator I consume. It's like an addiction.

Endure the SCC? That was top tier Terminator - it ignored T3 and picked up as a sequel to T2, and the second season had a storyline from the first terminator that never made it to filming. I would have loved to see it go the planned 4 seasons.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Agree - TCC was the last time we got great Terminator media. It was also one of the only installments to really explain away the time travel paradox stuff and delve into Skynets plan

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Agree - TCC was the last time we got great Terminator media. It was also one of the only installments to really explain away the time travel paradox stuff and delve into Skynets plan
Also, it was on the wrong TV Station. In my opinion, Fox isn't the best channel to try and run a sci-fi, serial TV show.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, it was on the wrong TV Station. In my opinion, Fox isn't the best channel to try and run a sci-fi, serial TV show.

True - the show also got screwed by the writer strike at the time. It has a truncated season, then came back after a long gap and didn't retain much of the audience. Which is a shame because it really felt like it was hitting its stride as it went on. The concept of T-1000 units starting to become independent of Skynet and having different goals was a cool one to explore.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Endure the SCC? That was top tier Terminator - it ignored T3 and picked up as a sequel to T2, and the second season had a storyline from the first terminator that never made it to filming. I would have loved to see it go the planned 4 seasons.

What was the storyline that never made it to filming?

True - the show also got screwed by the writer strike at the time. It has a truncated season, then came back after a long gap and didn't retain much of the audience. Which is a shame because it really felt like it was hitting its stride as it went on. The concept of T-1000 units starting to become independent of Skynet and having different goals was a cool one to explore.

I feel like that T-1000 concept popped up somewhere else as well but I can't remember where. Probably just the show. I remember something about there only being two T-1000's ever constructed because it was so advanced that it could turn on Skynet, plus it was pretty much the only thing on the machine side that could potentially infiltrate Skynet's mainframe and wreck it. Much like the plasma weapons, Skynet was good at creating things that could destroy it effectively.

As far as this series goes, I heard it got leaked online. Google's showing nothing. Anyone have a link?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yo, I think this is a new trailer.

Bad?: This doesn't seem to follow the established lore at all. You've got skin-wearing T-800s in 1997. Unless they're all sent back in time. But also you've got this army of T-200s (or whatever) patrolling the city streets and I don't think that's in the lore either. Like almost all the terminators were developed after Judgment Day, while this makes it look like everything's already developed.

Good: They went all in with the horror elements that characterized the original Terminator. T-800s are actually horrifying again and crush people instead of just flinging them or being kindly draperie salesmen. Also, this just plain looks good.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Terminator lore is effectively multiple timelines as a result of time travel fuckery - stuff conflicting with movies isn’t a huge deal so long as they acknowledge why it conflicts

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yanno, I wanted to see a Terminator Zero for years. Michael Biehn reprising his role and having a future war setting. Sounds like this could have happened with Cameron's planned T3 in 1999, before he lost the rights. Ship has long sailed now though. Most of the future war props got used in Aliens, at least.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database