Thats Racist ! (Rich old man in LA buys and sells black folks)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is such a rule, though it is broader that your specific hypothetical; conduct detrimental to the League.

Forcing him to sell is actual doing him a favor, believe it or not. If they said, "Keep your team Donald, we're just not going to schedule any of our teams to play yours. Have a nice life." just how much value would you imagine the standalone LA Clippers to have going forward? Aside from the physical property the team owned and any merchandising the team could still muster, not very much. A sports team is not a standalone entity, in terms of it's value. That value is, largely, based upon it's relationship to the other franchises. Requiring him to sell it while maintaining that relationship preserves it's value for him to capitalize on.
Such a ruling would also devalue all the other teams immensly as it would show that the people in charge would and could destroy your entire investment over a petty sleight.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Such a ruling would also devalue all the other teams immensly as it would show that the people in charge would and could destroy your entire investment over a petty sleight.
It isn't a petty slight, it's the loss of revenue resulting from owner behavior. It doesn't devalue the other teams any more than forcing the sale of the one team does. When MLB acted against Marge Schott for her racist statements (mostly made in private) and she ultimately ended up selling the Cincinnati Reds, valuations across the league did not drop as a result.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This is pretty much why I stopped giving a shit about the NBA. Look at the clippers, an absolute shit team for three decades and the owner still saw a profit. Owners have zero incentive to properly manage a team because at the end of the day they make money no matter what.
That's different than NFL and MLB how?

Its worse than that seeing as how very few universities make any money on their athletics program.
Hahahaha

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I never really gave a shit about the NFL and especially the MLB to begin with. I was actually pretty into basketball and the Suns growing up.

Royal

If the courts end up saying the League has the right to remove your husband from ownership Shelly,they can get rid of you at the same time:

Under the NBA Constitution, if a controlling owner's interest is terminated by a 3/4 vote, all other team owners' interests are automatically terminated as well. It doesn't matter whether the owners are related as is the case here. These are the rules to which all NBA owners agreed to as a condition of owning their team.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I may be wrong but the team is owned by a trust that they both co manage. Can't it be argued that there is no 1 controlling interest since they own 50% of the team each? At least I am assuming that they each own 50% of the team.

Royal

I may be wrong but the team is owned by a trust that they both co manage. Can't it be argued that there is no 1 controlling interest since they own 50% of the team each? At least I am assuming that they each own 50% of the team.
There has to be a controlling owner. This is the person who has the right to vote at ownership meetings. If they were publicly owned in some way, like the Green Bay Packers, then that might be a different matter.

joz123

Potato del Grande

Apologizes for being racist then says more racist shit. Dude needs his mouth sewn shut.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider

Apologizes for being racist then says more racist shit. Dude needs his mouth sewn shut.
that interview was awesomeeeee

what has magic Johnson done? he has aids!

who goes around the country sleeping with everyone catching HIV is that a role model?

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Im disapppointed when he said "The African American... no, never mind, Im sorry."

One can only imagine the goodness he was about to say, but yet still had enough loose connection to reality to pull back.

Royal

Nah he needs to go right on talking ... not about people mind you, since he doesn't do that, but about more of those "ideas" he usually discusses. Pull back the curtain, let people know what he's really about, and let them decide for themselves if he is what he says he isn't (not that there's much mystery as to what the result would be).

Royal

I don't think that anyone is necessarily immune to having the circumstances of life take a sufficiently dramatic turn and make them subject to experiences they've never fathomed or show them things they've never imagined and end up changing their beliefs, even those of the deeply long held variety. Being in a position of privilege such as he is tends to narrow the possibilities in that regard. Those sort of beliefs don't fall away all that abruptly either.