The 80s kid thread

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'll get to the pics later but... the 80's and early 90's was just the best.

Nintendo/SNES
WWF (I was an insane Hulkamaniac)
Saturday Morning Cartoons (Captain N the Gamemaster lol)
Movies... (If not for Lord of the Rings what would the recent decades even offer? 80's movies were awesome)
Music (From Michael Jackson to the Power Bands and all the obscure 80's music to early 90's garage bands)

There's a lot I wish my kids could grow up with but it's gone. Surprisingly they like a lot of the older stuff, especially the early 90's but man, the entertainment industry as a whole really lost its way.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Don't worry seb, I remember the 80's too

title.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I was in second grade when this happened. The school I went to basically had each grade in a pod type set up; one large domed room with about 6 classes connected around it. Each grade had a couple of pods. All classes in our pod were in the main domed area watching that. When it exploded, the teachers just kind of sat there in bewilderment, then one walked over and said "I think the show is over." And turned it off. Then we started singing songs. I never really knew what happened until I got older.
Same here, 2nd grade. It's the only thing I remember about 2nd grade to this day other than getting my whole stack of Garbage Pail kid cards stolen out of my desk while we were out at recess. I was too scared to tell the teacher so she could find who did it, because we weren't supposed to have them at school to begin with(we generally traded them on the playground at recess)

RIP Challenger Spaceshuttle and my Garbage Pail Kid cards.
GPK_8a_adambomb.jpg

Terial

Trakanon Raider
This thread is pure awesome! everything here giving me the memory chills!

Dungeons & Dragons cartoon!

Superfriends!

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Broke out my saved toys or some of them!

Image from Internet..
o6OvF5U.jpg

Images taken 5 min ago..
COeQbom.jpg

ETkJ4xX.jpg

br6ZCgh.jpg

x860zOn.jpg

xHn1e2I.jpg

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Remember the FUCKING AWESOME playgrounds of the past?! Bee-filled, splinter giving Temples of pure insane childhood fun?

rrr_img_67465.jpg

Or those massive slides kids would occasionally panic on the top of? Sometimes your legs fry like bacon if it has been sunny? Half way to the damn stratosphere, baby

rrr_img_67466.jpg

The shit I take my kids to now has nothing on this stuff

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Doesn't all that wood shit form the 70s and 80s have arsenic in it? Around my area they took all the wood play structures down and took away like 2 ft of topsoil around them.

And those big ass 20 ft tall slides are still around. Ran into a couple of them on the beach on lake Michigan.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
Treated lumber from the 80's had arsenic in the mixture, so yeah most of it was taken down. And I remember the first time I got burned on one of those metal slides. Was a partially covered one that twisted on the way down. Hurt like hell, but didn't stop me from doing it again.
rrr_img_67467.jpg

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
This thread is pure awesome! everything here giving me the memory chills!

This show was on so sporadically where I lived and I could never catch more than a few episodes but it was one of my favorites.

disgruntled_alien

Molten Core Raider
Or those massive slides kids would occasionally panic on the top of? Sometimes your legs fry like bacon if it has been sunny? Half way to the damn stratosphere, baby

Fuck yes! We had one of those rocket ship slides at a park near our house. It had to have been 25-30' tall. Basically like this one but the slide started at the top. So much fun - I have no idea how I never broke a bone or concussed myself.

rrr_img_67472.jpg

Speaking of which; I was in 4th grade when the Challenger blew up. I also happened to be in the young astronauts 'club'. The teacher that was in charge of said club was in the running to be a part of that mission. Rumor had it she made it to the final 200 or so. She definitely made it through the first few cuts. I hated that bitch. Everyone did. It's too bad she didn't 'win'.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Everyone is too busy playing on their stupid smartphones now.

Remember the FUCKING AWESOME playgrounds of the past?! Bee-filled, splinter giving Temples of pure insane childhood fun?

rrr_img_67465.jpg

rrr_img_67466.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Everyone is too busy playing on their stupid smartphones now.
Meh, you would be surprised. My kids still go outside and fuck around and I see all kinds of kis playing basketball, soccer, etc.... Especially this time of year when they are sick of being inside the whole winter. Then in the summer we open up the pool and they are out there daily.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, there was one of those huge ass slides near to where I lived once when I was about 6 or 7. It felt epic when I finally tried it out and climbed all the way to the top. It was so tall that my 1.85 m father couldn't reach me when I was at the top. Now everything is so full of safety codes you can't build shit that's fun (cos a kid might fall off and scratch his knee, boo fucking hoo!). Oh, and another favourite passtime of mine when I lived in the UK as a kid, climbing trees. Last I hear, can't do that now cos it's against the law. Why? Cos the parents of kids who fell out of trees and hurt themselves would sue the owner (usually a local council) for damages. Fucking morans!