The Al`kabor Project (EQMac) - PoP 1/5

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have never started multiple characters at once before and it's kind of rough. Any tips on where to go or what to do early on? Places to get filler armor drops?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Definitely some serious bugs with this client. I have had far too many deaths that were purely due to shitty client issues like you mentioned or the numerous disconnects. I think they are far too frequent to consider this a Beta state of game. I feel this is something that should have been resolved before this Open beta period. It is going to leave a sour taste in many people's mouths and I am just barely tolerating the playability myself.
I've asked numerous times for the community at large to help with the netcode. I am not the best at resolving that type of issue, but I was the only one in the community willing to tackle these issues (disconnects, netcode, etc)
I reached out to other EQ emulation projects for help fixing the project's netcode. My requests went ignored. The code, database, and quests are on Github for anyone who wants to fix this issue. Short of finding a major breakthrough, I don't know if I will ever find a resolution to them myself.

I don't have a lot of time these days to contribute. So I am sorry if it's not up to par with your standards.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I apreciate the work you have done, honestly. I have no clue how to code a damn thing myself.

I was simply stating that for the success of the server, it probably would have been better to delay it vs release it in its current state and then watch the server die as the stability / playability just isnt there. I actually uninstalled it myself this morning. If it is this much of a pain at the lower levels, I can only imagine trying to deal with it later on in deeper and more dangerous dungeons at higher levels.

It's just not worth the hassle in this state of the client. (my 2c)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I used to have a lot of disconnects in alpha, tons of sync issues, etc. Since the beta launch on the first, I have had ZERO crashes or disconnects, and I've been 3 boxing, which I never did previously. Issues like stuck alt keys on the Windows client can be fixed with Surron's hotkey program, and mouselook issues can be solved by limiting fps. They couldn't continue to develop with the small amount of people they had playing, they had to open up to keep delivering.

Try testing trade skill recipes and every item moved in-between your bags forced a desync and required a logout. That was rough.

TL;DR - it's not that bad and stating that you uninstalled... who cares?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I used to have a lot of disconnects in alpha, tons of sync issues, etc. Since the beta launch on the first, I have had ZERO crashes or disconnects, and I've been 3 boxing, which I never did previously. Issues like stuck alt keys on the Windows client can be fixed with Surron's hotkey program, and mouselook issues can be solved by limiting fps.

To me it feels just as buggy as the eqmac client, so it's replicating that authenticity. I've had a couple issues with random desyncs buy other than that, nothing major.

My only complaint is having to level a three box crew again. I hate the first ten to twenty levels cause you can't really set up a camp.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to have a lot of disconnects in alpha, tons of sync issues, etc. Since the beta launch on the first, I have had ZERO crashes or disconnects, and I've been 3 boxing, which I never did previously. Issues like stuck alt keys on the Windows client can be fixed with Surron's hotkey program, and mouselook issues can be solved by limiting fps. They couldn't continue to develop with the small amount of people they had playing, they had to open up to keep delivering.

Try testing trade skill recipes and every item moved in-between your bags forced a desync and required a logout. That was rough.

I was using the PC client. Specifically, it was issues when 3 boxing. I figured out the spell gems getting stuck fix by simply alt-tabbing away and back again. Annoying yes, but I could work through that. The issue specifically I have is the random disconnects when zoning or during normal play in a zone. The weird thing would be my lag bar looks perfectly fine but if you hit an assist macro nothing would happen. I could move one of my other toons and see it moving on the lagging box, but no inputs will take. I can't even log out without a "too busy" message. Most of the time I wouldn't even know it was coming and the boom.. disconnect. I could nearly instantly log back in, which was the weird part. For clarification, this would never happen to all toons at once. Just any random of my 3 at any given point. Sometimes as frequently as every 20-30minutes, sometimes I could go an hour or more without issue.

These disconnects have caused far too many annoying deaths though and theres just no way I will continue on with it. I know I am not the only one, as theres a lot of similar complaints.

Yea, I uninstalled.. but it is something that should or hopefully can be fixed. The server has promise, just not for me in this current state.

FWIW, I was using the client linked in this first post and used Torrid's batch file to remove all the unneccessary junk further.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd honestly rather see a stable connection for a Beta. Secrets actually admitted the netcode is fucked and he has asked for help from other Emu devs. Is it too much to ask for this to be resolved? I just think it tarnishes people's expectation of what the server could be. You have a ghetto as fuck version of WinEQ, window relocation / sizing bugs, gems greying out / inputs locked after alt-tabbing, significant disconnects.. these are Alpha issues in my honest opinion. I think Beta is for finding in-game issues like out of era items, quests, pathing issues, etc. Basic playability though?

Maybe my expectations are too high... I just dont have the patience for it like this.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I asked above but any tips for boxing? I've never done 3 before.
I've just always used alt tab and after a while you get in a rotation of knowing which screen you need to be on. I'll likely try out that program linked just to make it easier since it does suck having alt get stuck.

Herv_sl

shitlord
I asked above but any tips for boxing? I've never done 3 before.
It's just an anecdote but on EQMac I just ran a duo (Enc/Dru) up to a decent level (like 35-45?) and then leveled a Cleric rather quickly after that. I think it was just a day or so of relatively chill leveling the cleric... once the druid got good thorns/heals and the cleric has a pbaoe. The CH was in at 39 and it was game over for the charming effort.

I would think that a single lvl 50 (good PL class) could make whatever other class they want once they are high enough but there are probably different opinions, here of all places.

I have been lazy for years and usually just do the Druid ----> whatever class is melee or pbae when I start up...as a single character or (fuck kiting) charming with an Enc.

I was a huge fan of AK and am looking forward a chance at it for a (another) victory lap but I have to say the OSX client was really biting it with the greyed gems/disconnects.

e: Oh this took maybe a couple/few of weeks playing like the usual stoner, before I had a few 50's.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Downloading now

There is really demand for an EqEmu server without the insane item saturation that is on p99

Let's hope all goes well

Crell_sl

shitlord
I'm probably dumb but how do I box with EQW? Everytime I launch EQW with it already running it just closes what I currently have.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Get one session/account to server select, then start another session and get it to server select also. Click play on one, immediately switch and click play on the other - worked for me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Use the updated 2.2 EQW patch, I can open 3 at once and log them all in at once np.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The source code and instructions for use are on the TAKP forums, but here is a link to the .exe I compiled myself:EQW Switcher

Instructions for use:

No more fucking around with alt tab, 0/1/4 will auto switch to the same windows each time.
any way to get this program to use keys other than the numpad? playing on a laptop, no numpad.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hm never did much coding before but i bet i might be able to figure it out

or i might just go spend $10 on a full size USB keyboard

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
every day there are a bit more people in Alliance chat and a bit fewer forum posts on TAKP's forums.

that's a good sign, right?
smile.png

game on.