The Astronomy Thread

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They couldn't be responding to our transmissions if they are 95 light years away.. Our first radio broadcasts would have just reached them. We have to account for round trip travel time in that case, which means we would have had to start broadcasting strong radio signals in 1826.

What if they have subspace repeaters?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, see my edit.

Unless they have some sort of faster-than-light way to tell when a civilization discovers radio broadcast.

Currently science says that would be impossible.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
They do if they detected our radio transmissions. WE don't know they're there.

Marvel at my proper use of 'there', 'their', and 'they're'.
I took Gravel's post to mean that they intentionally targeted Earth with their signal because they know we're here.
(The quotes around "they" was because I don't think there is a "they" at all; I'm sure it will end up being some other natural phenomenon and we can all be disappointed as usual)

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I took Gravel's post to mean that they intentionally targeted Earth with their signal because they know we're here.
(The quotes around "they" was because I don't think there is a "they" at all; I'm sure it will end up being some other natural phenomenon and we can all be disappointed as usual)

If it is actually a civilization, it'd also mean they're close enough to probably know we're here if they're listening.

Eh? I don't know how what I said would imply that. I was just saying that if we're 95 light years away, and radio waves travel at light speed, and they're listening, they probably know we're here.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Eh? I don't know how what I said would imply that. I was just saying that if we're 95 light years away, and radio waves travel at light speed, and they're listening, they probably know we're here.

Right. My brain added the other bit on me

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One particularly noteworthy thing about this discovery is the fact that the signal was apparently observed in May, 2015 (it seems that this was the only time in 39 tries that they saw this signal). The discoverers didn’t alert the SETI community to this find until now, which is not as expected. According to both practice and protocol, if a signal seems to be of deliberate and extraterrestrial origin, one of the first things to do is to get others to attempt confirming observations. That was not done in this case.

The signal was first detected in May 2015 and has not repeated since. Unfortunately, although international protocols call for alerting the astronomical community to the detection of a mysterious signal, the observers chose not to do so. Sadly, their failure to observe this simple protocol likely hindered our ability to clarify exactly what caused the signal.

Fucking Russians, man...

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It really doesn't make sense we're alone in the universe. I remember reading that,if a civilization spread out in a paltry .5 the speed of light they could colonize the entire galaxy in a few million years. There has been plenty of time for that.
The signal only last 2 seconds as well.

I guess the best we can do is point some radio telescopes that way and listen intently for any anomalous activity. I've always been highly dubious of the expectation that aliens would be intentionally firing signals at us.

• 1Like

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Why? Some scientists want to do just that. And Hawking was like "are you guys fucking morons?"

Plan to broadcast messages to alien worlds leaves cosmologists

He is not alone in his concerns. Professor Stephen Hawking, the Cambridge cosmologist, warned in 2010 that humans should keep as silent as possible because alien civilisations may be attracted to Earth and have the technology to travel here and exploit its resources. “If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans,” he said.

Maybe there's an alien civilization out there that's either really stupid, or is all like "we're pretty awesome, we'll be the Conquistadors, holla!"

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Why? Some scientists want to do just that.

Because it's a waste of time and energy. The idea that we can beam a signal at a star with the expectation that a recipient is activity listening in our direction at that moment in time is ludicrous.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
It really doesn't make sense we're alone in the universe.

It doesn't, but it also doesn't make sense to assume we'd be able to communicate with it in any meaningful way. How many species are there currently on Earth? How many are we able to effectively communicate with? Every species on Earth has had the exact same amount of "evolution time", yet we're the only ones to ever exist that communicate the way we do. And from a reproductive standpoint, we aren't even the most successful branch of evolution on our own planet. Insects are far more successful than we are. Grasses are more successful than insects. If there were grasses and insects on another planet, we'd have no idea. So even if there was life elsewhere in the universe, it seems incredibly anthropocentric to think they'd be like us in any way.
I also find the search for "Earth-like planets" as a first step to finding life to be misguided. The Earth sustains life now, but life isn't forming on it in its current state. Whatever the state of the Earth 3.8 billion years ago is what's important. We should be looking for "proto-Earth-like planets". There's no reason to assume a planet like Earth today had the same chemical and geological history. And even if it did, only one proto-cell ever survived on Earth to procreate, which is fucking mind boggling when you think about it

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No one panic please, just a tax deduction being fired off this morning.

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No one panic please, just a tax deduction being fired off this morning.

Depending on what went wrong this could delay them for months :/ Plus it might undermine them flying humans to the ISS in the next couple years. Hopefully it was something really stupid and nothing wrong with the rocket itself.

• 1Like

Ryanz

<Banned>
It's gonna be funny when we contact a type II civilization and their all like, "Oh hi, that's a nice planet full of resources you have there.".

• 1Like