The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Amazing space phenomenon? Or universe record holder in largest crop-dusting fart of all time?

why not both?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NASA to Reveal New Discoveries About Oceans Beyond Earth Thursday

On Thursday, April 13, NASA will hold a press conference that will "discuss new results about ocean worlds in our solar system," according to a press release from the agency. The discovery will involve findings from the Hubble Space Telescope and NASA's Cassini spacecraft, which is orbiting Saturn.

"These new discoveries will help inform ocean world exploration — including NASA's upcoming Europa Clipper mission planned for launch in the 2020s — and the broader search for life beyond Earth," NASA officials wrote in the same press release.

Since this involves Cassini mission people, it's probably related to Saturn's moons. Maybe new subsurface ocean information on Enceladus or Dione?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

We should get some answers about this when the next period happens next month.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
That's a really interesting channel. It's not hard to adapt to his impediment either. He's kinda easier to understand than the pilot waves guy.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
That's a really interesting channel. It's not hard to adapt to his impediment either. He's kinda easier to understand than the pilot waves guy.
Interesting articulation pattern of "r"...imprecision in initial position, after vowels, especially open front and open central/mid vowels, hard/voiced back blends (gr) but not at all on complex front blends (str). I had to go back and listen to it for the content as I was very (Vewy) distracted. Also, now I want to watch The Princess Bride again.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, the impediment is whatever. I try to not shit on people for things they can't really help (unless I am good friends with them, then the gloves are off!). Definitely a good vid though.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Love this, via APOD.

GS_20170410_MoonJupiter_7435.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

khorum

Murder Apologist

We should get some answers about this when the next period happens next month.
I've seen a couple of his videos but I struggle to place his accent. Is it like Georgia or Panhandle Florida or something? It's like an oldey-time genteel southern drawl.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
NASA to Reveal New Discoveries About Oceans Beyond Earth Thursday

Since this involves Cassini mission people, it's probably related to Saturn's moons. Maybe new subsurface ocean information on Enceladus or Dione?

NASA finds more evidence that the ocean on Enceladus could support alien life

Hydrogen detected in plumes, conclusion is hydrothermal events must exist or there is some other mechanism causing parts of the ocean on Enceladus to warm, further increasing the probability the ecosystem could support known life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cool. I'm starting to think that the true answer to the Fermi Paradox might be one that we haven't really considered - that life may be so common that it's not worth seeking out. There aren't any biologists studying the ants in my back yard...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Europa also has plume(s) or cryovolcanism, discovered at the warmest part of Jupiter's moon by Hubble.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Cool. I'm starting to think that the true answer to the Fermi Paradox might be one that we haven't really considered - that life may be so common that it's not worth seeking out. There aren't any biologists studying the ants in my back yard...
Fermi paradox only addresses intelligent life.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fermi paradox only addresses intelligent life.

I know. It might be common as dirt as well.

We used to think of the Earth was the center of the universe and that humans were created by the divine. It was only a few decades ago that serious astronomers argued that the existence of planets might be something unique to our solar system. Every step we've taken along that path of discovery has knocked our ego down a few pegs. If you extrapolate from that, we might well find that we are nothing special and not worth studying among countless other intelligent species.

It's just speculation of course, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

• 1Like