The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Yup. And the even better news is that Astronomy tends to not be a very political subject. So information sharing won't be (at least shouldn't be) contentious.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NASA Viz: Colossal Glow

cover-1920.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wow.

W00107142.jpg

Cool raw shot of Enceladus too.

N00280321.jpg

Edit: w/ color:

C-ow9-_VYAEl-QM.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Muslim in space oh my. It clearly puff piece devoid of any facts.

Space Mining: The Final Frontier For Oil Countries | OilPrice.com

In this new quest for resources, the Middle East oil-exporting countries, which have long been considered the swing crude oil suppliers on Earth, could play a role in mining for water and platinum group metals on asteroids in space, according to Tom James, Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Partner at energy consultant Navitas Resources.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That was some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. Did you see that posted on Reddit?

Does anyone put some objective thought into these types of articles? Absolutely nothing in that article supports what it talks about other than saying middle eastern countries invest in the space industry. I hope no one paid Tom James for that info.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Space X launching Spy satellites and sticking landings all day. At 14 minutes you can see first stage tumble back to land. Quite the watch. Great footage since this was not a barge landing. Additionally, they stop the cast on the second stage because its secret sauce. So really a first stage showcase. Highly recommend.

Watching the nitrogen boosters pulse is amazing shit. 19 minutes...also fucking sick.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
We need more classified launches to get that kind of spectacular views. Much better than the usual "well, here's an animation of the second stage going around earth".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Is that a new gantry? Don't think I've seen that large white crane-arm thing before.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was pretty amazing seeing the stage one separation and watch it orient itself for landing.

• 1Like

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That was some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. Did you see that posted on Reddit?

Does anyone put some objective thought into these types of articles? Absolutely nothing in that article supports what it talks about other than saying middle eastern countries invest in the space industry. I hope no one paid Tom James for that info.

Was posted on realclearenegery. Shit like that make you really doubt the other new stories posted there.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Space X launching Spy satellites and sticking landings all day. At 14 minutes you can see first stage tumble back to land. Quite the watch. Great footage since this was not a barge landing. Additionally, they stop the cast on the second stage because its secret sauce. So really a first stage showcase. Highly recommend.

Watching the nitrogen boosters pulse is amazing shit. 19 minutes...also fucking sick.

I wonder why they're hiding the second stage landing.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

It's something they just started to attempt and don't want to show what approach they are taking I would guess.

Anyone else surprised at how routine this shit has become? They achieved consistency real fast.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's something they just started to attempt and don't want to show what approach they are taking I would guess.

Anyone else surprised at how routine this shit has become? They achieved consistency real fast.

It's not a huge surprise. The trick is that computers take a heavy load off of iterative testing. It's simply a balance between computing time to discover flaws vs. one launch with mountains of data to tease out dozens of issues and fix them in one go. Compared to "ye olde rocket programme" videos of countless rocket explosions, of course it seems super fast - but they had such limited ways (and time) to compute solutions that trial and error was the only real option.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So Cassini surprisingly detected few particles ring material between Saturn and the innermost rings. This means they'll be able to do science as normal on all but 4 of the 21 remaining orbits (4 of them are ring-grazing, the dish will be positioned to protect the craft as it was during this first dive). The next closest approach is in a few hours from this posting and it'll reestablish contact on the 3rd.

Cassini: The Grand Finale: Cassini Finds 'The Big Empty' Close to Saturn

• 1Like

Cybsled

Because they don't want foreign intelligence to get freebie intel on what the US is doing. It is quite possible the 2nd stage itself had some additional things that required classified additions inside.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Muslim in space oh my. It clearly puff piece devoid of any facts.

Space Mining: The Final Frontier For Oil Countries | OilPrice.com

In this new quest for resources, the Middle East oil-exporting countries, which have long been considered the swing crude oil suppliers on Earth, could play a role in mining for water and platinum group metals on asteroids in space, according to Tom James, Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Partner at energy consultant Navitas Resources.

Once/If Muslim astronauts actually start exploring space then it's going to get really lulzworthy around Ramadan. Living in a northerly climate I can tell you some of them have a tough time fasting between sunset and sunrise while Ramadan lands in the summer, though there are different interpretations of it. The hardcore take it literally, meaning you can't eat from the time the sun rises til it sets where you are. Others are a bit more pragmatic (or cheaters, depending on who you ask), and either track the time in a more "respectable" place farther south, while others use Mecca time.

So, if we ever see Muslims on the Moon with its ~12 Earth day "days" or, in orbit with ~45 minute "days", I'm sure there'll be a whole lot of lulz with respect to how they're going to adapt Ramadan to that shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users