The Astronomy Thread

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Someone has to be trained to pilot those space jalopies. We all know Russia isn't capable.

yeah.

cs-pg088-001-cs-pg088-001-sf-cn-ksi-qli-1-1-1-02-02-03.JPG

let me know if this is enough rope.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
i wonder how much of this would be real color to the human eye and how much is just imagined through filters

Some of the layers are pretty fucking amazing, especially X-Ray.

This is what it looks like via optical and something like Hubble.

Fig11_13Crab_Nebula_hs-2005-37-a-full_tif.jpg

' In the nebula's very center lies a pulsar: a neutron star as massive as the Sun but with only the size of a small town. The Crab Pulsar rotates about 30 times each second.'

Also, this video is really cool.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
got a space tank but no way to get to space.

no worries.

NASA to keep paying Russia to send astronauts to space station

This is from 2015 and says Nasa is unlikely to do a new space shuttle.

I imagine that once Boeing or SpaceX gets going that we won't do this any longer.

SpaceX recently tested the engines on an actual Falcon Heavy core, so that's looking like the Falcon Heavy will be taking off in the not too distant future.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is from 2015 and says Nasa is unlikely to do a new space shuttle.

I imagine that once Boeing or SpaceX gets going that we won't do this any longer.

SpaceX recently tested the engines on an actual Falcon Heavy core, so that's looking like the Falcon Heavy will be taking off in the not too distant future.

Yep, will be good to see US back to putting people in space.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

Are you fucking kid me, I didn't know we had a SPACE TANK.

It's too bad it's just a marketing gimmick and not a real prototype =\

First thing I thought when I saw that was: "Wait, did they just simultaneously discover advanced intelligent life and oil on Mars, and now we have to bring them 'freedom'?" :eek:

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I think it is more for harsh environment than defeating space aliens as witnessed by the "tires" of the rovers shown before. Lots of sharp rocks, windstorms and sandblasting going on. It's one thing to be a rover, it is another when you have people inside it 6 months away from the nearest medical center.

Also noted in the video the tires are a major design improvement over the rovers on Mars now.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ahhh, SecureTeam 10. Found them out by accident some time ago...

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
It cracks me up when I see an article like this, see the imagine and think it just looks like a boulder.

But somehow people might think it's an alien tank. Because aliens are just roaming around in tanks on the moon.
If you were alien and got within radio signal of Earth's broadcasts would you continue or land on the moon instead and save campaign?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you were alien and got within radio signal of Earth's broadcasts would you continue or land on the moon instead and save campaign?
If i did a flyby of the sol system and received @Tolan s posts id crash into luna.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
got a space tank but no way to get to space.

no worries.

NASA to keep paying Russia to send astronauts to space station

Soon we'll be paying Musk to do it instead.

And that'll actually sort of suck. We may use russian rockets, but they're not shooting any mars landers off. This is specialization of labor in a real way that works to mutual benefit. If we had to maintain the shuttle program that would be less budget for SPACE ROBOTS.

• 2Like