The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
well even in her ted talk Tabby said, "It's probably comets. But still, that would be a LOT OF COMETS. Aliens is way cooler."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
15-22% dip in luminosity, interspersed as random unpatterned events. Planet the size of Jupiter in comparison would cause a 1% decrease in luminosity.

If it is comets that must be one crazy-looking star system from the inside.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Planets don't really get any bigger than Jupiter, they just get denser as you add more mass. Same reason Saturn is nearly the same size as Jupiter despite being less than a third of its mass. Not sure how you'd get a planet that is five times bigger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Planet sizes
About as good as it gets for no BS info on the planets in our neighborhood.
Escape velocity of that sun though and it isn't even near many suns.
Reptile crazyman time- We think of everything in terms of light, but when something is faster than light it appears as a black hole sucking light away. Escape velocity would be much greater than light speed meaning we may not be able to comprehend many things that exist and are no different than the things we can see that are. IOW life past speed of light is not only possible but possibly not harmful either. We just don't know. If we ever did though and figured it out, getting around GotG style wouldn't be so hard eventually.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I uploaded the high res photo from Flickr, it was $20 for a 4x2 print at Officemax/OfficeDepot. I did crop it in Photoshop first to make it better align w/ the dimensions because their upload tool is kinda ass.

It scratches easy, so probably try another one with the outdoor vinyl treatment, hopefully more durable. Smell of the print has given me a bit of a headache, will be a while before I put it up in the office or something.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I didn't know susan sarandon did a dune movie.

Yea just like Sarah Jessica Parker keeps appearing in war films

War-Horse_Poster.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Yesterday SPACEX launched and landed another first stage, they reused a dragon capsule for the first time.

They seem to finally be speeding up the launch rate, third launch in about a month over all. Good stuff.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
It does fit the bill...only question I have is why it has taken so long to nail this down? Seems like a very likely (and obvious) source with readily testable samples floating around all the time. Unfortunate it is something so mundane, but good to know.
He first had a theory about the comet and cloud gas last year but it took them a year to verify it. As to why it went from 1977 to 2016 before any real ideas came about I don't know.
I have some questions I am going to ask him over time on this.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
He first had a theory about the comet and cloud gas last year but it took them a year to verify it. As to why it went from 1977 to 2016 before any real ideas came about I don't know.
I have some questions I am going to ask him over time on this.

Well, someone has to write the paper and it isn't that sexy of a topic when compared to the other opportunities professional astronomy offers. The telescopes have been searching for black holes, exoplanets, more data on stellar formation, and more detailed data on largest scale gravitation. As well as simply compiling detailed maps.

That wow signal was a non repeating event. Someone could have gotten their doctorate with it, but there are Easier and more useful ways.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Well, someone has to write the paper and it isn't that sexy of a topic when compared to the other opportunities professional astronomy offers. The telescopes have been searching for black holes, exoplanets, more data on stellar formation, and more detailed data on largest scale gravitation. As well as simply compiling detailed maps.

That wow signal was a non repeating event. Someone could have gotten their doctorate with it, but there are Easier and more useful ways.
There is another document inside the one I posted that goes into much more detail. Basically they were able to replicate the signal on a smaller scale to basically match the 77 event.
My questions would be why certain gas nebulas and comets with certain gas compositions give off such a signal and if it is a matter of frequency, do all comets somewhat at different levels?
With better tech we could track all sorts of things long range in such a way.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean probably. If you spin a magnet in the presence of a conductor you generate electricity. And that goes for all sorts of energy on the em spectrum.

Everything radiates. If you took a time lapse video of a rock in deep space subject to no known destructive forces you could watch it melt like a snowball. If for no other reason than you were watching it. Literally it's energy would be transferred into your representation of it.

Take a pretty long time though, I think. We do assume that it would melt even if you aren't watching, just the energy goes to a different place. That's entropy, basically.

• 1Like