The Astronomy Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
Not till tomorrow midnight. The high-rez images wont arrive till then.

They'll be stereographic (for depth) images 10x the resolution of what we've seen tho.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Not till tomorrow midnight. The high-rez images wont arrive till then.

They'll be stereographic (for depth) images 10x the resolution of what we've seen tho.
It'll take a year and a half to send back all the data. I'm sure a nice generic pic is #1 priority, but there's a good chance we'll be getting better and more specific pictures for quite a while. I'm not sure the full capabilities of the craft- but hopefully it took pictures that allow it to make one hell of a 3d model of the system. Technology from when this was launched would of (bring the negs bitches) been sufficient.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's got like 4 more years till it gets to the next big object in the Kuiper belt so I guess that's plenty of time. Supposedly the antenna isn't aimed at earth until midnight tomorrow or something though.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think it has a fixed position antena, and the probe is likely turned around to study pluto against the black body of the sun to detect atmosphere spectral lines. I doubt there's much of an atmosphere, but there probably is a very light nitrogen one.

Brad2770

I remember how much I loved Pluto when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade. I really wish the child version of me could have seen these pictures.

rrr_img_103533.jpg

rrr_img_103536.jpg

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Probe phoned home, everything nominal, images 10x better than anything we've seen and in color in the morning.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Get Hype, what a neat day to enjoy. I watched the simulation live, from about 100,000 miles out. It was very fascinating to watch them orient the craft to scan/turn on all the different instruments. Including pointing at the other moons besides Charon and seeing their orbits in real time. Can't wait to see what comes up next. Pluto's Orbit 248 years, Time since pluto discovered 85 years. The first human saw this object only 85 years ago, and yet here we are. I cannot wait to see what kind of relief we can see on the surface.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Voyager is still functioning and is able to still send back scientific data. They are using it to help study the heliosphere and I think it is technically in interstellar space now.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think it went interstellar a while ago, then they started debating the definition of interstellar and I lost track of the conversation.

Just feels odd there are multiple sites communicating with it at one time. Could be redundancy to eliminate interference etc

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The first high quality image of pluto.

Color will be calculated from other instruments and composited later.
rrr_img_103598.jpg