The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh any mission to Mars is 100% pipe dream unless its back up with a Apollo style program.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
SpaceX will be the first group to Mars, not NASA. The budget cuts and republicans will see to that.

Rime

<Donor>
This is fun. The bill that was used to getCISApassed included abudgetincrease for NASA.

Now that CISA is passed, the budget (which went from $18.01 Billion to $18.7 Billion is being slashed down to $18.4 Billion)

I will be shocked if it is anything higher than the 2015 Budget by the time 2017 rolls around.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do you think for one second that a republican congress would increase NASA spending over say the military? If a republican gets voted in as the pres, NASA is done since they dont believe in science.
Yea those Repubs sure hate the military industrial complex. They'd never award more money to Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon and Aerojet Rocketdyne, Teledyne, Northrop Grumman, Booz Allen, Honeywell and others.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dont forget things like SDI. Democrats loved to mock Reagen over that.
Do you think for one second that a republican congress would increase NASA spending over say the military? If a republican gets voted in as the pres, NASA is done since they dont believe in science.
You realize this is a matter of fact, notfeelsright? Here ill help you out;

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They do believe in SLS, though. So much it's nicknamed Senate Launch System, because even NASA doesn't believe in it (but they have to make it because they get told to).

Cybsled

Republicans would fund NASA if they got rid of those pesky data generating climate monitoring satellites orbiting the Earth!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Republicans would fund NASA if they got rid of those pesky data generating climate monitoring satellites orbiting the Earth!
BUT "climate scientists" say those are wrong... now back to the gravitation thingy..

that is so cool. and shows that einstein (provided the paper is right etc) was awesome- well more awesome.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
BUT "climate scientists" say those are wrong... now back to the gravitation thingy..

that is so cool. and shows that einstein (provided the paper is right etc) was awesome- well more awesome.
Yeah, the satellite data keeps contradicting the land based data all the time. If anything republican's should fund NASA more and cut off funding to the people doing the models.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
First Detection of Super-Earth Atmosphere | ESA/Hubble

For the first time astronomers were able to analyse the atmosphere of an exoplanet in the class known as super-Earths. Using data gathered with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope and new analysis techniques, the exoplanet 55 Cancri e is revealed to have a dry atmosphere without any indications of water vapour. The results, to be published in the Astrophysical Journal, indicate that the atmosphere consists mainly of hydrogen and helium.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The results, to be published in the Astrophysical Journal, indicate that the atmosphere consists mainly of hydrogen and helium.
So basically, it's a slightly smaller version of Uranus with the small traces of H2O that we found in Uranus boiled off by its proximity to the star.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So this documentary is difficult for me to chose a category. I love astronomy so I'll make the post here. I found it well worth my two hours, the visualization of the data is remarkably well done. PBS Spacetime is so boss, PBS I feel has earned more shilling from me on this one.

A trip through 12,000 years of development, this two-hour special shows how seemingly small flashes of innovation have changed the course of civilization. As our global population soars, humanity will face numerous challenges in order to survive.
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365530573/

The youtube link is not a PBS user, the video is also clipped. I wasn't sure if international people can access the pbs website, as it did ask for my local station identification.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Russias New Ballistic Missiles to be Tested on Asteroids - Universe Today

In a shocking announcement, Russian scientists say they want to test improved ballistic missiles on the asteroid Apophis, which is expected to come dangerously close to Earth in 2036. If this doesn't send chills down your spine, you haven't read enough science fiction.

In a February 11th article in the Russian state-owned news agency TASS, Sabit Saitgarayev, the lead researcher at the Makeyev Rocket Design Bureau, says Russian scientists are developing a program to upgrade Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) to destroy near-Earth meteors from 20-50 metres in size. Apophis' approach in 2036 would be a test for this program.
What could possibly go wrong?