The Auto Repair Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Do you hear a clicking the first time you try to start it and then when it finally starts does it not click?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Do you hear a clicking the first time you try to start it and then when it finally starts does it not click?
When it happens on Mom's car this is what happens. The first time it happened to me it clicked but did not start to turn over. Now mine sounds like it tries to turn over repeatedly and then starts up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wait, now I remember what shitty movie this plot device was in:

rrr_img_119773.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When it happens on Mom's car this is what happens. The first time it happened to me it clicked but did not start to turn over. Now mine sounds like it tries to turn over repeatedly and then starts up.
Clicking is the solenoid trying to engage the drive to engage the flywheel. The starter won't spin over until the solenoid moves the drive gear forward. The solenoid is on top. If it's clicking it's either worn and the plunger is sticking which is why it sometimes does it when it's hot, or it no longer has the power to engage the lever arm to get the starter drive out of the case to engage the flywheel.

On todays car it basically means you need a new starter. I don't think they sell new solenoids for new cars separately. They used to sell them for chevy's by the boatload back in the day. They would wear and get hot next to the engine. Ford had a solenoid that was mounted on the innner fender where it was much cooler. You could bypass it with a screwdriver in a fix.

Been a long time tho. I sold auto parts in high school almost 30 years ago and then moved onto building race cars on the side for a few years out of high school. Olden times. I miss having class till noon as a senior, and had auto mechanics till 11am then a single english class lol.

starter_motor_2.jpg

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I've experienced the clicking with a dead battery
Thats just because you hear the solenoid click but the battery doesn't have enough power to move the starter/flywheel. So it just clanks rather than moves anywhere. Hook up a jumper or new battery and it works fine.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Check the battery. If it's good, then put your head under the hood and check where the clicking noise comes from. If it's from the starter (bolted to the engine block) then the solenoid is bad, need new starter. If it's from the side by the fender then it's the relay I described earlier.

I went with the relay with my original suggestion because the guy said he brought it to a mechanic. Any mechanic who doesn't have downs will test the battery and can figure out if the starter if busted.

What throws mechanics in a loop with an intermittent starter problem is usually a bad relay or a ground fault.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Solid piece of advice everyone needs to know. If your starter ever seizes, you can hammer on it lightly to unseize it enough to get it working again. Had my starter seize once on a road trip and that saved me from a very costly tow/mechanical bill.
They don't bind up like this only when they're hot, either...you can get a little moisture in one as well and they'll freeze up overnight. I spent a lot of time in the Army banging on frozen starters in the morning, but hey, it works.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
The clue here is that 3 cars in the neighborhood are experiencing the same problem. Three cars with faulty starters, solenoids or relays is possible but unlikely. Three cars with old and weak batteries made worse by cold winter weather is more likely. I'd work that angle and also check, clean and tighten all battery/starter wire connections.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Three cars, three points... clearly Illuminati. Crap wrong thread.

Seriously though I'd agree with environment causing battery issues. Do the free check and clean contacts.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Looking like it was weather related. It has since stopped happening. Thanks for all of the advice!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Looking like it was weather related. It has since stopped happening. Thanks for all of the advice!
Your car starting should be weather independant. If it was "weather related" you should probably still figure out why it was happening and make sure the issue gets fixed.

Outside of extreme cold it probably is battery related exasperated by the weather.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I replaced all 4 tires on my '13 Accord on Saturday. I put 90k miles on the original tires, so it was time and the car drives so much nicer now.

Problem is my TPMS indication light won't shut off. Manual says they need to recalibrate the TPMS on a tire change and could take 30-60 minutes of driving to clear. I've driven a good few hours on the tires now and it's still lit up. Also I checked the tire pressure and it's still good.

What could they have possibly fucked up? Is it a disconnection issue?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Can usually just reset the TPMS in the dash/NAV. Unless they somehow just didn't put the sensors back which I seriously doubt. They do these things every day all day.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Can usually just reset the TPMS in the dash/NAV. Unless they somehow just didn't put the sensors back which I seriously doubt. They do these things every day all day.
Some vehicles you can't reset yourself, for whatever reason. My 5 series BMW I can reset after swapping tires or changing pressures. But the GM Yukon needs to be reset at a dealer. And with the girlfriend's Matrix, you're supposed to be able to reset it by pressing a button, but that shit never works for some reason.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'll have to find a manual, I don't think it's on the dash
Every vehicle I've had with TPMS, the reset has been in the glove box and even if the pressure is currently correct the light won't turn off until you do something with that button.