The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess I'm so invested in this race after all that bullshit microsoft tried to pull when they announced it. All that DRM/NSA spying shit really hit me.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DRM I can understand I guess, quite a few companies out there that do it now and I despise always online shit(hi2u d3/sim city etc) but people still love and slobber all over blizzard. The spying stuff just makes me laugh, better go hide in a cave and never use a computer again, only way to avoid it.

regret_sl

shitlord
I don't think Sony has released hard numbers to NPD for quite some time. I think it had something to do with Vita or PS3 numbers (though they didn't admit it) and I imagine it'd look silly if they started doing it now simply because they're selling a ton of PS4s.

Anyway, while the speculation re the Xbox's demise was amusing to read I think all things considered Sony is probably happy that MS stepped on their dick so hard allowing them to pull ahead this early in the new console generation.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Haven't commented on anything recently because:

1) I've been busy.

2) There's nothing to comment on. The PS4 is ahead both in NA and Worldwide. The Xbone's "fastest selling" nonsense is pure spin and meaningless. The gap is probably going to widen after the first of the year.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U] - NeoGAF

Super Mario 3D World's sales are sad.
I think part of it is that Super Mario 3D came out at the wrong time. I want to play it but the PS4/Xbone came out at the same time and they took precedence for me. I am going to buy Super Mario 3D. The reviews are way too good for me to pass it up. If the game came out on the 12/13/13 I think sales would look a lot better for it. You also have to take in to account most first party Nintendo games have a very long sales shelf life. Most other game publishers taper off to near zero very quickly but most first party Nintendo games tend to have decent sales numbers months after release.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm late to the 3dsXL party, but I'm here now. I refuse to buy a PS4 or Xbone until a good RPG/Strat game comes out as an exclusive, because PC Master Race. But I will buy them, just like I purchased a Wii, a 360, and a PS3. Because eventually, something exclusive is the shit, and I have to get a system to play said "the shit." Luckily gaming is actually a pretty cheap hobby if you play RPGs and Strat games and crap.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Column, you've been consistently saying embarrassing things in this thread, so you're excluded from any kind of smug hindsight or schadenfreude!
But I'm not! It is pretty awesome to see Sean be 100% completely wrong about basically every prediction he has made so far, lol.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Super Mario 3D World's sales are sad.
A lot of people are missing out. It's an all-time great.

cinge_sl said:
I still find it very odd that people even care so much what system wins or who out sells who.
I'm personally pleased when I make a good purchasing decision for something that is important, and often expensive, to me, like a house, truck, or lawn equipment.

I don't feel the same about video games and sytems, which I see as disposable. But for a person who lives and breathes video games, or can't afford much, I suppose caring about consoles becomes important.

Sean_sl

shitlord
But I'm not! It is pretty awesome to see Sean be 100% completely wrong about basically every prediction he has made so far, lol.
The PS4 is ahead in the US and Worldwide. Yes, I'm totally 100% wrong! I said that they would be ahead in the US and crush the Xbone globally, and it's going to happen.

Gaige doesn't know how to be anything but wrong, it's sad.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
If there was an infinite supply of PS4s and XB1's the PS4 would be winning by a much larger margin. If XB1 is the only thing in stock (and they are literally everywhere, I went to Target, Wal-mart, and Gamestop this week for various things and all had 2 to 5 in stock) when a Parent or other giftgiver is looking to buy then they are more likely to buy it than possibly never getting the PS4 before Xmas.

Personally I don't see why people are buying either console because the game lineups blow and will continue to blow for another 3-5 months at least.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Wish we could know what % of initial sales were resellers. On Craigslist here there are many XB1 listings for cost with tax, while PS4 seem to be moving for about $100 profit. I'm going to keep both of my PS4s - one for kids, one for me - but could trade one straight up for an XB1, just makes sense to be able to share games with my son.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't have a PS4 or Xbone and do not plan to buy either anytime soon. However, I care about this debate because it shows how ridiculous blind loyalty is. It is clear that pretty much regardless of what Microsoft did, people were going to buy the product.

I mean, you have a case hear of a company releasing a product that has worse performance, costs $100 more, and has more restrictive policies. Yet people still bought it in almost the same numbers as the competitor's product. It is crazy.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Btw, it's now being reported that the 8 Nordic countries (& Russia) that were cut from Microsoft's initial launch of 21 arenotgoing to be receiving Xbones until late 2014. So Microsoft isstillsitting at only 13 countries until who knows when.

Meanwhile Sony has now launched in 48 countries and will add Japan in February. Expect their production to ramp up.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I don't have a PS4 or Xbone and do not plan to buy either anytime soon. However, I care about this debate because it shows how ridiculous blind loyalty is. It is clear that pretty much regardless of what Microsoft did, people were going to buy the product.

I mean, you have a case hear of a company releasing a product that has worse performance, costs $100 more, and has more restrictive policies. Yet people still bought it in almost the same numbers as the competitor's product. It is crazy.
Brand loyalty is a part of it, but some people valued the kinect being bundled with it (yes there are people who like it) and XBONE had the better exclusives...

Sean_sl

shitlord
Said they'd have yield problems. They do not. Said they'd sell 900k in NA by March, they did that in the first week. Etc etc.
They do have yield issues, otherwise they'd have not cut their release regions by almost half (and have only 1/4th of Sony's now) and they wouldn't be delaying releasing elsewhere until late 2014. If you think that their abysmal number of release regions and their delays on releasing elsewhere are anything but manufacturing shorts then you are truly a dipshit.

And the contest numbers weren't something I put any real thought into.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
If there was an infinite supply of PS4s and XB1's the PS4 would be winning by a much larger margin. If XB1 is the only thing in stock (and they are literally everywhere, I went to Target, Wal-mart, and Gamestop this week for various things and all had 2 to 5 in stock)
This is literally the opposite where I live. I've seen PS4s in stock, but never XB1s.

They do have yield issues
Do you have some proof of this? Maybe they want to focus their rollout in countries that are big supporters of Microsoft and the Xbox brand. Why waste units in countries where Xbox doesn't sell well anyway?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And the contest numbers weren't something I put any real thought into.
It's easy to make vague and unprovable claims which is why I enjoy contests like this. It cuts through the bullshits, forces big talkers to stake a claim and later we can see who the bullshitters are.