The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Forbin_sl

shitlord
Talking about how good oculus rift is, and how crazy it would be for sony's vr to be comparable at the price point they would likely be aiming at, would mean having to side with column. Nope cant do it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sony's a company that's well known for high end display tech and have a very long history of it. They've always made some of the best displays in the world.

It wouldn't be surprising considering they have considerably more resources and experience than the Rift startup. Sony's also been tooling around with HMDs for many years.
On the other hand their hmds have been awful. A big question is whether the dinosaurs responsible for zero innovation are also responsible for morpheus.

I think we will know today if that's the case.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
One thing I liked reading about Sony's is it also incorporates 3d sound which I've thought rift should be working on as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
the Rift team isn't worried about that because it would jack the prices way the fuck up. It's supposed to be affordable...
Not to mention it works with every Headset out there. I sure as fuck wouldn't want to give up my astro A50's for some cheap headset embedded into a VR helmet.

Which is another reason why I hate Sony's design for that headset. It doesn't even allow you to buy better headphones.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thought that these days speakers are more about software than hardware past a point? I know for a fact a number of audiophiles that I talk to feel that way at least.

Column_sl

shitlord
Thought that these days speakers are more about software than hardware past a point? I know for a fact a number of audiophiles that I talk to feel that way at least.
And what exactly is your point with that statement?

Do you not understand they are trying to keep the cost down on the Rift... Doesn't matter if it's software, or hardware they would be adding another layer of cost on a product that is supposed to be affordable.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
HMD stuff really gets me excited. The tech is going to advance rapidly over the next few years with all the players, big and small, bringing products to market and competing. We are watching the next big thing in gaming develop right before our eyes.

Szlia

A number of significant technical challenges may be about to be overcome, but my feeling, since the '90s, is that the main problems are not technological, but of usability and of game design. By its very nature, by the very goal it tries to achieve, it is condemned to be a niche, a temporary distraction. To make a movie analogy, it's not technicolor, it's smell-o-vision.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I love that putting a screen 2 inches from your eyes is "THE NEXT THING!" but using your whole body to play games is "LOL KID STUFF".

Makes sense!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's not just about putting the screen 2inches from your eyes, you can do that yourself, it's the motion detectors in the headset that transcribe your head movements into movements in the game, creating a better immersion. I don't think it's the next big thing but it's definitely something interesting, for some games. Would most likely suck dicks to play dota with VR for example. Playing Elder Scrolls VI on VR though... Kinda looking forward to it.

Doesn't really compare to kinect either, that replaces your entire control schemes with an equally irrelevant control scheme, but involving your entire body instead of just your hands. VR changes a part of the control schemes, all the vision related stuff, by making it actually natural and controlled by your head movement rather than your fingers. It makes sense. I guess kinect makes sense for dance games too in that regard, but that's about it.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The headset looks like shit, and apparently, feels like shit.

Ihighlydoubt Yoshida-san has anything up his sleeve that the Occulus Rift + Carmack don't already.

?We Just Tried Sonys PS4 Virtual Reality Headset. We Like It.

After our demo, Stephen and I spoke with Sony head of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida and Richard Marks, chief researcher at Sony's Magic Lab. We talked about their plans for the headset and the future of VR on PS4. A few specifics:p

They gave no price, not even a ballpark for the final version.P

They described a pretty cool scenario where you'd run a cable out of the headset's A/V box to your TV and see a single-screen version of the VR game on that screen. A second player could then grab a controller and play a game along with the VR player. As an example, Yoshida said that in The Deep, a second player can control the path of a turtle that swims around the diving cage. He said that VR offered a lot of possibilities for asynchronous gaming similar to the Wii U, with several players playing on the TV taking on the VR player. The setup will allow for four controllers, and while the headset currently counts for one of them, Marks said that they're still figuring out whether it'll always be that way.P

They're not distributing advance or prototype headsets for PC indie developers, for now it'll be only for developers making games on PS4. P

Yoshida confirmed that the commercial release will not happen in 2014. P

Yoshida said that Sony is working on dedicated gaming experiences for Morpheus, indicating that Sony's approach will involve making games that are just for Morpheus and would also explore allowing there to be Morpheus-only modes for non-VR games. They specifically said they don't want to just port PS4 games to Morpheus, for example, a normal PS4 FPS that would also be playable in VR.
Yawn.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's not just about putting the screen 2inches from your eyes, you can do that yourself, it's the motion detectors in the headset that transcribe your head movements into movements in the game, creating a better immersion. I don't think it's the next big thing but it's definitely something interesting, for some games. Would most likely suck dicks to play dota with VR for example. Playing Elder Scrolls VI on VR though... Kinda looking forward to it.

Doesn't really compare to kinect either, that replaces your entire control schemes with an equally irrelevant control scheme, but involving your entire body instead of just your hands. VR changes a part of the control schemes, all the vision related stuff, by making it actually natural and controlled by your head movement rather than your fingers. It makes sense. I guess kinect makes sense for dance games too in that regard, but that's about it.
I agree. Both completely different arenas. Just imagine the game that brings them both together. It will happen and it will be glorious.

Szlia

The PS4 should, in theory, be able to do that using Morpheus + Move + PS Camera (see through the eyes of a character, manipulate an object - sword, gun, racket, control the whole body). In practice, I am not sure what kind of processing power is needed for Head tracking + Move tracking + Body tracking. Full body tracking is also silly if the character is supposed to move around.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Ubisoft said Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus will need to sell 1m+ VR headsets to make development viable. Not sure that's happening with the first iteration of them. Hopefully by the time they do become more popular (if ever) they aren't 'PC accessories' or 'PS4 accessories' and a bit more universal consumer electronic devices.