The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Update: I spoke to the DM and brought my concerns to him and the players. We decided to press on with our original schedule and if #5 is not there, his loss. DM has decided to build games for 3-4 people and not rely on the #5's character for challenge rating and whatnot.

Ended up going well. Case closed for now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
When I was in High School I met a group who introduced me to Star Wars and D&D. We played Every weekend from Friday after school until Sunday late night, pretty much with minimal stopping for sleep or eating. Life long friends. I've role played in the military, and on the west coast, but since coming back to my home town I hadn't done any table top gaming other than 40K or the occasional Magic the Gathering stint. Recently I've met back up with the same group of guys (23 years later) and slipping back into gaming with them once a week is like putting on a favorite jacket. The rules are plenty different. I'm used to the backwards math of a Thac0, but it's a much better rules system. They've been steeped in it the entire time, and know the ins and outs. 3.5 is their system of choice, but they do all admit Pathfinder is fantastic.

I'm just happy to be back at it. Level 8 Half-Elven Hexblade. Good times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
Starting a pathfinder campaign in a couple weeks. My girlfriend is DMing for the first time since no one else wants to and I damn well don't have the time or energy for it right now.

Building a cleric who is barred from healing due to some act of cowardice in his past. Mostly to troll my friends. It was either that or "mute bard". Should be fun, aiming at a combat centered build with polearms. So glad they got away from those weapon limitations. I can't wait to go all giantbro and fuck goblins up from 15 feet away.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm kind of curious about what most people use to represent their characters. Our group uses painted mini's for the characters, and our DM uses the Pathfinder pawns now for the monsters.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm kind of curious about what most people use to represent their characters. Our group uses painted mini's for the characters, and our DM uses the Pathfinder pawns now for the monsters.

Painted minis are a good way to go, as a DM I encourage this by allowing a single reroll a game, a one time bonus XP, or one additional minor magic item depending on the type of game if they brought their own.

That said I don't always use minis as they can detract from a descriptive story adventure, in those cases I ask for a picture self drawn or otherwise.

As a player my favorite mini was s goblin pirate I painted. Worked perfectly for my goblin alchemist fire bomber, used the blunderbuss for my "flask and bomb throw action.

Last edited:

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep my games almost always use minis, I have bags and boxes of them so there is usually a good range for characters and monsters, I like Hates idea of giving bonus if they paint and bring their own.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yep my games almost always use minis, I have bags and boxes of them so there is usually a good range for characters and monsters, I like Hates idea of giving bonus if they paint and bring their own.

I also allow throw in a minor bonus for bringing themed items, relevant tshirts, drinks, and food mainly. Extra starting cash, have them find a useful item near the start, bang a hot NPC, just whatever that player is interested in.

This one women a play with always brings alcholic potions that look red or blue, if you want some healing you have to chug one, her house rule and no one seems to mind :)

• 1Like
This one women a play with always brings alcholic potions that look red or blue, if you want some healing you have to chug one, her house rule and no one seems to mind :)

Stealing this idea. Might not be a great idea as there are two minors in the party. Oh well. NO heals for them.

Also, I have Improved Familiar on the Hexblade and got an Imp....those things are BAD ASS!!!!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Stealing this idea. Might not be a great idea as there are two minors in the party. Oh well. NO heals for them.

Also, I have Improved Familiar on the Hexblade and got an Imp....those things are BAD ASS!!!!

Copy of Drunkards and Flagons Ran a drinking version of a pathfinder mythic campaign a while back, not all rules will apply but most of them can be used for any pen and paper RPG. Was insanely successful, week one we had 4 players, by week three we had eight steady players. I was black out drunk week five when they all ganged up on me, I was slaughtering fools near the end all in good fun but they learned not to get the DM hammered too soon.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have been running Pathfinder pretty much since it came out and I have ran everything that came before it. I have locked in a set of rules that I try to follow every secession to ensure the group has fun.

1. As GM my job is for the group to have fun above all else not to advance my own story or fall in love with an NPC and punish them with it.
2. Just like in a TV series always give a recap before starting a new secession with heavy focus on anything related to the current game.
3. Every game I try to give the group real choices on the campaign direction and at least one moment where they have to formulate a plan.
4. Every game I offer a chance for role play and I try to focus on a different player each week.
5. Players min/max when DM's run campaigns lacking dimension. I try to make use of skill rolls every game ( not just monster KS and perception).
I require back ground stories ( this often will give you adventure ideas)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My oracle is a bona fide fucking damned good healer. My AC went from 21 to 30 in one game because I finally spent pretty much all my gold. I upgraded my entire team's weapons and armor, too, with my feat. Not to mention, my channel is 7d6+1, I can swift channel thus channelling twice per round.

Just trying to figure out a good level 5 spell. Ugh. -.-

Duncan Moir
Male the mysterious ones oracle 10 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide 42)
CN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 30, touch 14, flat-footed 28 (+9 armor, +2 deflection, +2 Dex, +3 natural, +4 shield)
hp 77 (10d8+25)
Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +10
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
Melee +1 morningstar +10/+5 (1d8+3)
Ranged light crossbow +9 (1d8/19-20)
Special Attacks channel positive energy 5/day (DC 19, 7d6+1)
Oracle Spells Known (CL 10th; concentration +14)
. . 5th (3/day)—breath of life (DC 19), mass cure light wounds
. . 4th (6/day)—blessing of fervor[APG] (DC 18), cure critical wounds, freedom of movement, restoration
. . 3rd (7/day)—archon's aura[UM] (DC 17), cure serious wounds, communal delay poison[UC], neutralize poison, prayer, searing light
. . 2nd (7/day)—burst of radiance (DC 16), calm emotions (DC 16), cure moderate wounds, grace[APG], instrument of agony[UC], lesser restoration
. . 1st (7/day)—bane (DC 15), bless, cure light wounds, detect evil, detect undead, shield of faith, stone shield[ARG]
. . 0 (at will)—create water, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, light, mending, purify food and drink (DC 14), read magic
. . Mystery Life
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 23
Base Atk +7; CMB +9; CMD 23
Feats Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Extra Channel, Extra Revelation[APG], Quick Channel[UM], Reach Spell[APG], Selective Channeling
Traits blessed touch, friend in every town, touched by the sea
Skills Acrobatics +3 (+7 to move through a threatened square or enemy's space), Bluff +7, Climb +4, Craft (ships) +10, Diplomacy +20, Heal +9, Knowledge (geography) +5, Knowledge (history) +6, Knowledge (local) +8, Knowledge (religion) +13, Linguistics +5, Perception +10, Profession (sailor) +7, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +14, Swim +14, Use Magic Device +5
Languages Abyssal, Aquan, Chelaxian, Common, Dwarven, Infernal
SQ defiant mind, interaction bonus, mark of slavery, oracle's curse (legalistic), revelations (energy body, life link, channel, safe curing), vow to self
Combat Gear potion of water breathing, sandals of the lightest step[UE], scroll of divination, wand of cure light wounds (16 charges), wand of summon monster iv; Other Gear +3 glamered mithral chainmail, +3 buckler, +1 morningstar, light crossbow, amulet of natural armor +3, bag of holding ii, belt of tumbling[UE], besmara's tricorne, cloak of resistance +1, headband of alluring positive action, helm of underwater action, ring of protection +2, ring of the iron skull, rod of swift channel[APG], bedroll, belt pouch, candle (10), flint and steel, hemp rope (50 ft.), masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], pot, soap, torch (10), trail rations (5), waterskin, 317 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Defiant Mind At 10th level, you can make a new saving throw each minute to resist mind-affecting effects as your subconscious searches for loopholes.
Energy Body (1d6+10, 10 rounds/day) (Su) Elemental subtype and deal 1d6+10 to undead who touch you or heal 1d6+10 to allies who enter your square.
Interaction Bonus +3 bonus to one-on-one Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks.
Legalistic The shackles of Hell impose savage consequences should you violate a covenant, but also imbue you with remarkable guile. Whenever you break your word (either purposefully or unintentionally), you become sickened for 24 hours or until you meet your ob
Life Link (10 max bonds, 100 feet) (Su) As a standard action, establish bond that drains your HP to heal other below -5 hp.
Mark of Slavery -2 to skills and attacks after failing a skill check, unless you're retrying the skill check,
Oracle/Oracle Channel Positive Energy 7d6+1 (5/day, DC 19) (Su) Positive energy heals the living and harms the undead; negative has the reverse effect.
Quick Channel Channel energy faster by expending more uses
Reach Spell You can cast a spell with a range of touch, close, or medium as one range category higher.
Safe Curing (Su) Casting healing spells does not provoke AoO
Selective Channeling Exclude targets from the area of your Channel Energy.
Swimming (30 feet) You have a Swim speed.
Vow to Self (1/day) +4 morale bonus to one role to keep a promise.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Depending on what your team needs here is what I would pick for 5th level spells:
Constricting Coils-hold monster plus a DoT is nice.
Ghoul Army-Send in the fodder!
Hallow-Holy locations are a pain in the ass for anyone that doesn't like them.
Hymm of Mercy AoE non lethal damage only, amazing for when you need to take down a bunch of things but not kill them.
Breath of Life-Heal or rez

My favorite though is:
Wall of Stone, million and one uses.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I might post my current 5e toon and get feedback. Feat coming up at 8 and not sold on what to get yet. Been playing an Elf wizard and doing mainly crowd control and diplomacy/city building. Very low magic world, the number of arcane users in the world ad likely under 10.

Also, the guy who was throwing the wrench into our game schedule wise has quit the group, which works out I think. He was not invested.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I might post my current 5e toon and get feedback. Feat coming up at 8 and not sold on what to get yet. Been playing an Elf wizard and doing mainly crowd control and diplomacy/city building. Very low magic world, the number of arcane users in the world ad likely under 10.

Also, the guy who was throwing the wrench into our game schedule wise has quit the group, which works out I think. He was not invested.

You should, sometimes the +2 to a stat is better than a feat.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

When I DM (up until this point, just for Adventurer's League at a local store), people use minis they bring and I have basic ones of my own for new players to use.

eBay and online stores like CoolStuff are a good source of minis. Common ones can be fetched for a buck or 2, bigger stuff in the 3 to 5 range and only really rare stuff is more than that.

Another good thing to look for on eBay or game stores is people dumping Warhammer armies. For example, up until recently, there was no official WInter Wolf mini, so I bought some Warhammer Dyrewolves for like a buck fifty a pop and put them on 2" bases and they worked great. Also at GenCon I scour the broken wargame mini booth to get some great stuff. Chipped, small breaks, etc on already painted and based minis (even metal ones) are like a dollar and take like no time to fix (or dont even need to be fixed at all). Its how I was able to get a bunch of generic thugs and human guards on the cheap.

On another topic, anyone ever use Fantasy Grounds? I'm about to start running an adventure for some friends of mine who are scattered around the country, so any tips would be appreciated.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Reaper Bones is a cheep way for those new to mini's to get into it without feeling like they are spendng alot, also a very inexpensive way to fill out monsters and NPC for the GM, some of the big kits are so cheap. they are not the easiest to work with though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
When I DM (up until this point, just for Adventurer's League at a local store), people use minis they bring and I have basic ones of my own for new players to use.

eBay and online stores like CoolStuff are a good source of minis. Common ones can be fetched for a buck or 2, bigger stuff in the 3 to 5 range and only really rare stuff is more than that.

Another good thing to look for on eBay or game stores is people dumping Warhammer armies. For example, up until recently, there was no official WInter Wolf mini, so I bought some Warhammer Dyrewolves for like a buck fifty a pop and put them on 2" bases and they worked great. Also at GenCon I scour the broken wargame mini booth to get some great stuff. Chipped, small breaks, etc on already painted and based minis (even metal ones) are like a dollar and take like no time to fix (or dont even need to be fixed at all). Its how I was able to get a bunch of generic thugs and human guards on the cheap.

On another topic, anyone ever use Fantasy Grounds? I'm about to start running an adventure for some friends of mine who are scattered around the country, so any tips would be appreciated.

I do:
Fantasy Grounds Curse of Strahd campaign is the current game but I have been rolling deep in FG about twice a week for about a year now. It is awesome, I have spent over 500.00 bucks at this point but I regret nothing :) If you want to see how it plays we can setup something, the more DMs the better.

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any chance we could do a marathon gaming session on Sunday? Get the band back together!