The D&D thread

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That makes sense, I think it is a good crunchy way to get players immersed in actual camp set up since location is pretty important.

It also let's the dm encourage or discourage resting by fiddling with the environment and not just throwing random encounters at them, seems interesting.

Do you find it slows the table down or have your players mostly bought in? I can see a lot of options for players to have fun with it but also a quick, we do what we did last night *rolls dice*
My players love it and they're completely on board, but when I first introduced it, it did slow things down a bit until they got the hang of it. However, a group isn't likely to take more than one long rest during a session so even with people new to it it's not going to slow things down dramatically. Usually, the players are only responsible for figuring out the mods for the own character while I work out the mods for the group.

The few minutes it takes to calculate a long rest is more than off-set by the time I save by not having to throw a pointless, time-consuming random encounter at the party. That had a lot to do with why I went down this path. I absolutely loathe combat as a mechanical deterrent and/or method of resource depletion. Combat should resolve (or advance) a conflict or piece of narrative. Fighting shit for the sake of fighting is boring as hell. Particularly in 5e, but that's an entirely other topic (which I have also endeavored to improve at my table).

In all, the concept is really simple - healthy characters in a safe, comfortable environment aren't going to find it too difficult to rest, but characters in an inhospitable, dangerous environment are going to struggle to find a place to recuperate. Particularly if the characters are low on resources, wounded, and dealing with other problems.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
all you gotta do is make ONE door a mimic and they will never treat doors casually again.

I don't trust any inanimate object after running into one mimic couch. Now, when I see a treasure chest, I shoot an arrow at it. My wife's character has a very pretty hat we found next to that couch ... with a hole in it from where we shot it.

but players can roll their dice "in the tower" which makes the result only visible to the DM.

Not a DM so I can't advise you on your dilema, but I have a question about this tower rolling. What about inspiration? If you have a DM inspiration you can roll again if you don't like your roll. If you have bardic inspiration you can choose to use it after you see your roll but before the DM tells you whether it passed or failed. As a player I don't think I'd like removing inspirations from important rolls.

even if they are good at not metagaming, it's hard to take the response the dm gives you seriously.

My group is actually pretty good about this. We have gotten information we knew was bad because of a roll of 1 from the only person who spoke the language needed, and just ran with it. Right into the fiasco. We grumbled about it OOC, but we knew we had no choice. But I do like the idea of trying to determine if someone is lying and having everyone do a secret check, then going around the table and letting them all know what they picked up on.

You think he's a lying liar who lies
YOU think he's nervous about being seen with mercenaries
YOU think he seems trustworthy
YOU think he seems shady
YOU think we make him nervous.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I posted this in the BG III, but it's a bit more relevant here. Anyway, the way Long Rests are handled in 5e is pretty lame and DMs basically have to force players into combat to interrupt one or tell them "No, you can't rest here." Neither of those solutions is great so I got inspired from something I read a couple years ago and created this system for resting. It seems incredibly awkward and fiddly, but it's really not. It only adds about 3-4 minutes to a rest.

Anyway, tell me what you guys think.

Interesting. What about elven trances? They only need 4 hours to gain the benefits of a LR. Does that basically bump them up one category on that final table? Seems like it would also remove the penalty for being on watch.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
My players love it and they're completely on board, but when I first introduced it, it did slow things down a bit until they got the hang of it. However, a group isn't likely to take more than one long rest during a session so even with people new to it it's not going to slow things down dramatically. Usually, the players are only responsible for figuring out the mods for the own character while I work out the mods for the group.

The few minutes it takes to calculate a long rest is more than off-set by the time I save by not having to throw a pointless, time-consuming random encounter at the party. That had a lot to do with why I went down this path. I absolutely loathe combat as a mechanical deterrent and/or method of resource depletion. Combat should resolve (or advance) a conflict or piece of narrative. Fighting shit for the sake of fighting is boring as hell. Particularly in 5e, but that's an entirely other topic (which I have also endeavored to improve at my table).

In all, the concept is really simple - healthy characters in a safe, comfortable environment aren't going to find it too difficult to rest, but characters in an inhospitable, dangerous environment are going to struggle to find a place to recuperate. Particularly if the characters are low on resources, wounded, and dealing with other problems.
I may steal this and test it out in my next 5e game. I am running an open legends game currently which I am hoping to wrap up soon (first time with the system it is meh). I like this better than trying to force the gritty realism resting system I have tried in the past (8 hours for a short rest, 3 days for a long rest). I was running that game in real time so it was basically a free long rest between sessions but players were getting grumpy about it heh.

I remember you have said before you give a big binder of house rules for your players do you give them this info in detail or just a summary?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I may steal this and test it out in my next 5e game. I am running an open legends game currently which I am hoping to wrap up soon (first time with the system it is meh). I like this better than trying to force the gritty realism resting system I have tried in the past (8 hours for a short rest, 3 days for a long rest). I was running that game in real time so it was basically a free long rest between sessions but players were getting grumpy about it heh.

I remember you have said before you give a big binder of house rules for your players do you give them this info in detail or just a summary?
I have a detailed houserules file in my Googledrive that every player in my campaign has access to. It's nearly 100 pages, but I'm constantly adding to it and iterating on existing mechanics when play shows it needs tweaking.

I haven't really removed anything from stock 5e, but I have layered a lot of stuff on top of it. Especially areas that are almost entirely ignored in WoTC material. Furthermore, it's not just a collection of houserules, it also serves to inform the players which of the optional rules I use from the official rulebooks.
Interesting. What about elven trances? They only need 4 hours to gain the benefits of a LR. Does that basically bump them up one category on that final table? Seems like it would also remove the penalty for being on watch.
If an individual character needs less (or no) rest, then the modifier won't apply to them.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In 5e, poisons, disease, curses, etc. ALL fucking suck because they're incredibly easy to remove. That sucks because it deprives the DM of some powerful and interesting narrative tools. As is, there's almost no point in using those kind of conditions because players literally remove them almost instantly. Sure the DM can create one that the players can't remove as easily, but that just pisses the players off and creating a 'tough' every time you need it is just cringe and contrived.

To fix that I set the precedent that ALL afflictions are much more challenging to remove. My players loved this. In fact, in the past, none of them had any fear of those conditions and considering getting cursed, poisoned, or diseased to be more annoying than threatening.

So here is what I did about it.

This is a copy/paste from my houserules document.

Disease and Poisons (updated)
Many, many types of disease and poison exist throughout Faerun.

Most afflictions can be diagnosed and treated, but not necessarily before they become symptomatic and manifest in illness, but others are so incredibly rare or dangerous that little is known about them.

After first contact with a disease, it will typically develop over 3-5 stages that worsen as it progresses. Each stage can last between a few days to several weeks. However, some afflictions manifest much more quickly and can mature in a matter of hours, minutes, or even seconds.

As previously mentioned, some forms diseases have no detectable symptoms in the early stages of progression and, unfortunately, as a disease progresses it typically become more difficult to treat. Additionally, once cured, the after-effects can sometimes persist until the individual has time to rest and recuperate.

Poison, on the other hand, typically manifests much more quickly than a disease and the symptoms are, generally, more serious.

Magic, such as Lesser Restoration, can cure many ailments, but spells that remove afflictions require a spell 'attack' roll against the DC of the disease or poison. It is also important to note that particularly virulent diseases (and poisons) may require multiple successful casts to remove the affliction. Furthermore, there are afflictions that also require specific spell components that must be used in conjunction with restorative magics to cure the affliction.

• Curative spells of levels 1-4 make their 'attack' (cure) rolls normally and rolls that are >= to the DC of the affliction count as one successful cast.
• Curative spells of levels 5-7 make their 'attack' (cure) rolls with Advantage and rolls that are >= to the DC count as two successful casts
• Curative spells of level 8-9 remove any disease, poison, or curse except those imposed by an exceptionally powerful source or entity (typically CR 25+).

For example – Eddie has Black Fever (DC 14) which requires 1 success to remove. So, Eddie has paid a Cleric to cure the disease. The Cleric casts Lesser Restoration which has no standard attack roll, but for the sake of diseases (and poisons) we can easily calculate one.

The Cleric casting the Lesser Restoration spell is level 3 (+2 proficiency bonus) and has a Wisdom of 15 (+2 WIS modifier) so the Cleric has a +4 to his Lesser Restoration 'attack' (cure) roll.

The Ceric would need to roll a 10 or higher to remove the Black Fever (DC 14). Given that Lesser Restoration is a level 1-4 spell, the spell receives no modifier to its roll and a 'hit' counts as one success which is enough to remove Eddie's Black Fever.

As you can see, disease and poisons have the potential to be serious problem. Particularly, in cases where the DC of the virulent affliction is high and requires multiple successful uses of curative magic. The difficulty is further compounded if the affliction requires a specific material component.

However, expanding the scope of afflictions make them far more interesting and allow groups to engage in meaningful narrative events rather than effectively hand-waving potentially dangerous situations with a simple cast of Lesser Restoration. While that can still happen, it's no longer a forgone conclusion.

Curses
Curses exist in many forms. There are the classically cursed items all the way to physical manifestations like Vampirism, Lycanthropy, or worse. Curses and cursed items are not always easily remedied with a simple cast of Remove Curse which may only suppress the curse temporarily. Some curses are much stronger and require exhaustive measures in order to remove them permanently.

Removing a curse functions in almost exactly the same way that curing a disease or poison does. The curse's DC must be beaten by a spell 'attack' roll and some curses require multiple successes in order to be removed. Particularly dangerous curses can require specific types of weather, regions, locations, etc in addition to the necessary magic and material components.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of the major systems/mechanics that I have introduced/tweaked are:

1. Creature harvesting for mundane/magic item creation.
2. A detailed system for the creation of magic items and high-quality non-magic items.
3. Combat Maneuvers for all martial (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian, Monk) characters. The maneuvers are fueled by their Hit Dice.
4. A massive upgrade to the non-magic gearing system with dozens of new weapon/armor properties.
5. I greatly expanded on the skills system by adding sub-skills (essentially specialties) and giving all characters the opportunity to improve a proficiency to expertise and then mastery. And a lot of opportunities are gated behind expertise and mastery.
6. All characters have a stat called Fate that diminishes each time a character dies and once the character's Fate is gone the character cannot be brought back from death.
7. Mental Exhaustion.
8. ALL weapons and armor have a minimum strength or dexterity requirement.
9. A collection of tweaks that makes the game more deadly. One example - being taken to zero HP automatically induces two levels of physical exhaustion.
10. Some nerfs and/or level adjustments to certain spells that completely undermine elements of the game. For example - Goodberry still heals, but it doesn't provide food-like sustenance.
11. A detailed social encounter system.
12. This is a recent addition, but I introduced a hex-travel system that actually makes travel interesting and fun.
13. My own take on the Piety system from the Ravnica guide.
14. The previously mentioned change to afflictions.
15. Introduced and changed some of the standard conditions. For example - I added bleeding and burning. Both range from annoyance to deadly.
16. Completely re-worked base weapon stats so weapons have a tangible difference beyond just their names. This took a lot of time and effort because it's incredibly easy to destroy balance.

I'm currently trying to adjust AC so there's a tangible difference between avoiding damage and mitigating damage. This is taking a lot of effort because it's complicated and destroying balance with AC is even easier than destroying it with weapons.

Anyway, those are just some of the many, many additions I've made. However, very few of them are uniquely my own. I have a massive RPG library and from it I've cherry picked the systems/mechanics that I like and shaped them to my preferences.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm currently trying to adjust AC so there's a tangible difference between avoiding damage and mitigating damage.

I'm new to this stuff, but I always thought what made sense was if the attack was lower than the AC of the armor itself, then it would be a miss, but if you needed your other bonuses then it just mitigated damage. For instance, lets say you have half plate, which gives you 15 AC plus a dex modifer (lets say +2 in this case). If the attack roll is less than 15, its a miss. If it's a 16, then it would just mitigate.

But I see what you mean about balance. If you did that, you'd have to give everyone extra bonuses as a start and then who knows what that would cause. I'm not really suggesting the above, I'm just saying that at one point as a new player, that's how I thought it worked. At the time I knew it was possible to mitigate damage sometimes but I didn't know how. So that's what made sense to me.

Do you run simulation fights with just you to see how your changes are affecting balance?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you run simulation fights with just you to see how your changes are affecting balance?
Kinda.

I have an excel spreadsheet that I've been running numbers on. The problem I've found isn't that I can't find a solution, it's that I am having trouble finding a simple solution. For now, every way that I've managed to make it work is just too complicated and the bookkeeping would get missed fairly often.

I'm trying to work out a much better, fire-and-forget, solution.

Right now I'm testing flat, non-magical damage reduction for heavy armor, but DR is super hard to balance. Too much and it trivializes things, too little and it's pointless.

Ultimately, I want heavy armor wearers to get hit more often, but have the armor mitigate a fair amount of the damage. However, I'm not sure what a reasonable amount of DR is per point of AC because it changes significantly between tiers of play. 5 DR at level 1 is broken as hell, but it's a drop in the bucket at level 15. Tying DR to proficiency bonus or level could work, but it still doesn't solve the AC-to-DR ratio problem.

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm going to playing in a Pathfinder 1e campaign. It seems like the hardcovers are all out print, rip. Going to try some of the pocket edition and see how I feel about them. Any recommendations on books worth picking up?

Also, is there a good compilation of PDF somewhere so I have everything on hand?

Any recommendations for a good app for an ipad for character sheet type stuff?

I would really advise against playing 1e at this point. Even if your group is math people who love customizing characters and synergizing, there's still plenty of that in 2e, and it's a much better system.

But if you're really dead-set on doing 1e, the best adventure paths are:
  • Rise of the Runelords (Anniversary revised edition. The original edition was written for 3.5, I believe.)
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne (Revised edition. The original edition was written for 3.5 as well.)
  • Kingmaker (This never received an updated version for 1st edition so it might be a little rough but this is arguable the best of all the 1e adventure paths. Do not buy the recently "updated" 1e Bestiary; it's a scam. Just buy the PDFs of the original six books and the original player's guide.)
As far as rules and mechanics go, you can find them all on d20PFSRD or Home - Archives of Nethys: Pathfinder RPG Database.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would really advise against playing 1e at this point. Even if your group is math people who love customizing characters and synergizing, there's still plenty of that in 2e, and it's a much better system.

But if you're really dead-set on doing 1e, the best adventure paths are:
  • Rise of the Runelords (Anniversary revised edition. The original edition was written for 3.5, I believe.)
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne (Revised edition. The original edition was written for 3.5 as well.)
  • Kingmaker (This never received an updated version for 1st edition so it might be a little rough but this is arguable the best of all the 1e adventure paths. Do not buy the recently "updated" 1e Bestiary; it's a scam. Just buy the PDFs of the original six books and the original player's guide.)
As far as rules and mechanics go, you can find them all on d20PFSRD or Home - Archives of Nethys: Pathfinder RPG Database.
Can confirm that those are three of the best APs. I have every 1e AP softcover, but I have those three in hardback.

• 1Solidarity

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Well gents. It's thst time of year again for me to plan my Halloween event. I was originally going to use a bagman as the antagonist of the one shot. Having them go into their bag and then go through an old Ghostbusters episode where they are in the land of lost things. And find the monster in a stronghold with the captured person.

But thata off the table now. Since I'm going to do somthing kind of like that with them in a few months. So it's too similar. So back to the drawing board I guess.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Some of the major systems/mechanics that I have introduced/tweaked are:

1. Creature harvesting for mundane/magic item creation.
2. A detailed system for the creation of magic items and high-quality non-magic items.
3. Combat Maneuvers for all martial (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian, Monk) characters. The maneuvers are fueled by their Hit Dice.
4. A massive upgrade to the non-magic gearing system with dozens of new weapon/armor properties.
5. I greatly expanded on the skills system by adding sub-skills (essentially specialties) and giving all characters the opportunity to improve a proficiency to expertise and then mastery. And a lot of opportunities are gated behind expertise and mastery.
6. All characters have a stat called Fate that diminishes each time a character dies and once the character's Fate is gone the character cannot be brought back from death.
7. Mental Exhaustion.
8. ALL weapons and armor have a minimum strength or dexterity requirement.
9. A collection of tweaks that makes the game more deadly. One example - being taken to zero HP automatically induces two levels of physical exhaustion.
10. Some nerfs and/or level adjustments to certain spells that completely undermine elements of the game. For example - Goodberry still heals, but it doesn't provide food-like sustenance.
11. A detailed social encounter system.
12. This is a recent addition, but I introduced a hex-travel system that actually makes travel interesting and fun.
13. My own take on the Piety system from the Ravnica guide.
14. The previously mentioned change to afflictions.
15. Introduced and changed some of the standard conditions. For example - I added bleeding and burning. Both range from annoyance to deadly.
16. Completely re-worked base weapon stats so weapons have a tangible difference beyond just their names. This took a lot of time and effort because it's incredibly easy to destroy balance.

I'm currently trying to adjust AC so there's a tangible difference between avoiding damage and mitigating damage. This is taking a lot of effort because it's complicated and destroying balance with AC is even easier than destroying it with weapons.

Anyway, those are just some of the many, many additions I've made. However, very few of them are uniquely my own. I have a massive RPG library and from it I've cherry picked the systems/mechanics that I like and shaped them to my preferences.
Well now I want to spend a day reading all your homebrew, it sounds great. Any chance some forum bros can get our grubby hands on more? :D

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Whenever I want inspiration for a campaign or character I go check old issues of Dragon Magazine. 80s and 90s fantasy revs my engine.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone have any experience getting stuff printed onto cards? Like size of an MTG card, want to get some printed up for different spells, features, etc. Looking for a good place to do it at a reasonable price

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone have any experience getting stuff printed onto cards? Like size of an MTG card, want to get some printed up for different spells, features, etc. Looking for a good place to do it at a reasonable price

You write that shit on a 3x5 card like a real gamer.

• 1Like