The Documentary Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

On Amazon Prime.

Man, I really wanted to like this one. In my opinion Randy is the best guitar player ever, or at least in the conversation. And even if you don't agree, he definitely holds his own with icons of the era like Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Brian May, and Clapton.

First 2/3 of the movie is basically a Quiet Riot early years documentary with incredibly garbage footage (or, mostly, narration over photos). I can't fault the film makers too much there just because there probably isn't any. They talk up Randy's talent but there's basically only one incredibly bad video of him playing with Quiet Riot (a solo), with his roadie interjecting every 10 or so seconds about it.

Then they talk about him auditioning for Ozzy and joining the band, but I guess they couldn't get the rights to any of his music so they just...talk about it?

The closing credits we get Crazy Train played by a bunch of random YouTube guitarists. And that's it. That's the movie. For a movie about a musician, you'd really hope they'd actually have something to showcase that. If you're going to make a documentary like this, maybe secure the music rights first.

You can go on YouTube and just search for "Randy Rhoads Solo" and get a much better appreciation for how good he was in a 5 minute clip than this 90 minute documentary gave. Or literally any Ozzy Osbourne live show when Randy was still alive.

It's a damn shame, because he died so young, most people don't even know who he was. Had this been a better showcase of that (had they gotten rights to literally any of his music), it could've introduced a much wider audience to him. I suppose if you're a die-hard fan this might be neat to watch, but otherwise it really missed for me.

Edit: Was talking to my wife about it, and I remembered that I was wrong. They did have a couple solos in it, but they were Van Halen ones. I guess Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen had a bit of a rivalry and he played some of the solos to learn, recording them. So now I'm thinking Ozzy must own the rights to all of Rhoads' music, not just the Ozzy stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Watching the And 1 documentary on Netflix

Screenshot_20220827-215610.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
looks good. i was a big Dio fan back in the day, he had some cheese lyrics in his songs, but overall great songs.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

This was interesting. HBO does a good job with their doc's, showing both sides of a story.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Watching this now, it reminds me of early Louis Theroux when he toured wacky American sub cultures.

This is mostly focused on the 2020 election and whilst there's some wacky leftist types most of the interviewees are qanon types

Edit: 99% of FOH won't like this. It focuses on Alex Jones, Qanon, Proud boys with some Antifa clashes, building up to Jan 6th

Last edited:

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider

I was working for a production company at this time, and we sent one of our satellite trucks there to shoot concerts for the duration. The EIC for the truck barely got it out of the compound during the riot. They were destroying everything. Normally we very carefully coil all the cables and put everything in its place. He said 'Fuck it... they're not getting our truck and they just threw everythimg iinside and put pedal to metal. I was supposed to ho but managed to get out of it since there was someone else who really wanted to go.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The Shaq documentary is really good. Almost as good as The Last Dance.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

On Amazon Prime.

Man, I really wanted to like this one. In my opinion Randy is the best guitar player ever, or at least in the conversation. And even if you don't agree, he definitely holds his own with icons of the era like Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Brian May, and Clapton.

First 2/3 of the movie is basically a Quiet Riot early years documentary with incredibly garbage footage (or, mostly, narration over photos). I can't fault the film makers too much there just because there probably isn't any. They talk up Randy's talent but there's basically only one incredibly bad video of him playing with Quiet Riot (a solo), with his roadie interjecting every 10 or so seconds about it.

Then they talk about him auditioning for Ozzy and joining the band, but I guess they couldn't get the rights to any of his music so they just...talk about it?

The closing credits we get Crazy Train played by a bunch of random YouTube guitarists. And that's it. That's the movie. For a movie about a musician, you'd really hope they'd actually have something to showcase that. If you're going to make a documentary like this, maybe secure the music rights first.

You can go on YouTube and just search for "Randy Rhoads Solo" and get a much better appreciation for how good he was in a 5 minute clip than this 90 minute documentary gave. Or literally any Ozzy Osbourne live show when Randy was still alive.

It's a damn shame, because he died so young, most people don't even know who he was. Had this been a better showcase of that (had they gotten rights to literally any of his music), it could've introduced a much wider audience to him. I suppose if you're a die-hard fan this might be neat to watch, but otherwise it really missed for me.

Edit: Was talking to my wife about it, and I remembered that I was wrong. They did have a couple solos in it, but they were Van Halen ones. I guess Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen had a bit of a rivalry and he played some of the solos to learn, recording them. So now I'm thinking Ozzy must own the rights to all of Rhoads' music, not just the Ozzy stuff.
I was pretty baffled by that too. It's really unfortunate because he deserved so much better.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Considering he's the lead actor in the top two of my top five favorite movies (BTTF and BTTF2), I'll watch. I always liked Doc Hollywood and Secret of My Success, too. Watched Family Ties growing up, but was really too young for it.

So yeah, I'm in. I'll definitely check it out.

• 1Like