The Documentary Thread

xzi

Mouthbreather
Exit Through The Gift Shop is one of my favs of all time, seen someone post it earlier. Banksy made another docu basically about how people have behaved in public. It was a neat little watch. I know it's now on netflix

davejay_sl

shitlord
Don't think this has been mentioned but Channel 4 showed a brilliant documentary all about what happens to you during & after a plane crash.

A group of pilots & scientists took & old plane destined for the scrap heap, filled it full of computers, sensors & cameras & took it to the middle of the Mexico desert & for the first ever crashed it on purpose to gather data.

http://youtu.be/X3R1SDVx8nM

Well worth a watch.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
started watching "afterlife" on netflix because it was recommended based on the crazy ratings my step dad gives terrible films (I use my parents login because I'm cheap). One of the worst docs I've ever seen, soooo full of shit, and I had to turn it off with about 40% remaining on the status bar, and I can normally tough it through any hunk of crap

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
Can anyone recommend any good documentaries on serial killers? They fascinate me in some way. Already seen the iceman stuff.

This is an interview with Jeffery Dahmer and his father which is pretty informative and creepy.

This isn't a documentary per se but it's a collection of original photos, news footage and videos surrounding the Manson family murders. It's also really easy to find documentaries and interviews with the cannibal, Issei Sagawa. Due to legal loopholes he was released from jail and since then he's become something of a celebrity.

http://www.skcentral.com/infusions/f...s.php?cat_id=1

This is a pretty comprehensive list of Serial Killer Documentaries. I find them really fascinating as well and this has been my go to site for a number of years.

Charles_sl

shitlord
I watched 'Kumare' recently. It's about a guy who transforms himself into a "Guru" and tries to influence people. What the actual point of his film is I don't know, he doesn't seem to want to make fun of these people, at least not most of them, he genuinely seemed to care and worry about how they would feel after he revealed his true self. He does seem to have wanted to debunk the whole guru thing and show people that it's pretty outrageous. It reminded me a bit of how Houdini would debunk psychics and the like back in the day, basically just to show that these people are big fakers who take advantage of the vulnerable, while at the same time being concerned for those who are being brought in by there schemes.

It's pretty entertaining, funny, and interesting. Here's the trailer:

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't think this has been mentioned but Channel 4 showed a brilliant documentary all about what happens to you during & after a plane crash.

A group of pilots & scientists took & old plane destined for the scrap heap, filled it full of computers, sensors & cameras & took it to the middle of the Mexico desert & for the first ever crashed it on purpose to gather data.

http://youtu.be/X3R1SDVx8nM

Well worth a watch.
damn it's gone for me. anyone have another source

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just watched "The World According to Dick Cheney" on Showtime. Really interesting, I suggest checking it out if you have Showtime.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed this The World According to Monsanto GMO Documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEZYQF9WlE
Don't think I can say I enjoyed it, because frankly it's just... scarey when you consider the consequences, but yeah, very informative doc, and I especially appreciate that she went and actually interviewed a lot of the original researchers, journalists, and government employees whose information, research, and articles she uses. The section detailing the mutated Mexican corn, and the smear campaign against the Berkley professor was just... I don't know. We joke about this kinda stuff on this site, but, to have actual proof that giant corporations hire PR firms to come to sites like this and smear people and ruin their reputations, for doing nothing more than telling the truth, it's kinda surreal. The doc really reminds me of the thread not terribly long ago where everyone was saying "GMO is fine and there's no proof it's bad!" Anywho, don't want to get all political in here - thanks for linking the vid! As good or better thanFood, Inc,even though they did focus on different subjects.

xzi

Mouthbreather
This one is all about the sperm whale. They actually cut him open and show off how the organs work properly. (It was obviously dead already).
This is pretty goddamn interesting me, well worth the watch. I have learned at least 10 new things about sperm whales.

Rime

<Donor>
I know it is available on Netflix, I watched it the other day.

Interesting enough. A bit crazy.