The Economics Thread, Bootstrappin' Since 1776.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No. Some shitty poster did. Then after years of regret and several broken up relationships it turns out the lazy bastard is worthless later in life because it can't even stay on the first page.

Should we sticky it to combat the privilege it didn't have as a baby thread?

Yea, let's give it sticky privilege. Then all the other threads will be jealous of it. This thread can then call all the rest lazy SJWs and tell them all to "get a job and stop stealing my hard earned bits".

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You know you don't really need bootstraps if the boots are perfectly fitted.

Nutcrusher_sl

shitlord
I have an actual economic question. With the falling price of gas, will we see prices going down on other things since a large amount of goods throughout the country is shipped by 18-wheeler? Are there any dangers to having prices on many fall accordingly with the price of gas?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why charge less when you can charge the same? I don't think the downward effects are universal, unlike upward price swings. Some competitive market areas sure, but airlines are all "hey, more free money yay!" and I'm pretty sure that describes a lot of industries.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have an actual economic question. With the falling price of gas, will we see prices going down on other things since a large amount of goods throughout the country is shipped by 18-wheeler? Are there any dangers to having prices on many fall accordingly with the price of gas?
Way too many factors go into cost per case to be that effected by just gas prices.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have $30k with of goods come in per month via truck. When gas was high they tacked on a $5 per delivery charge to compensate for the increase gas prices. So now that the price of gas is cheap again I'm saving $20 a month on $30k worth of purchases. I'm going to guess that no, falling gas prices will not result in any noticeable price drop in goods due to reduced shipping costs.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have $30k with of goods come in per month via truck. When gas was high they tacked on a $5 per delivery charge to compensate for the increase gas prices. So now that the price of gas is cheap again I'm saving $20 a month on $30k worth of purchases. I'm going to guess that no, falling gas prices will not result in any noticeable price drop in goods due to reduced shipping costs.
lol, a 5$ per truck surcharge? I'm assuming big trucks and old diesel prices(which were around 4$ for me), so that gets them what? 10-25 miles depending on what you call a "truck"? Seriously shit like that pisses me off. Why charge the fucking surcharge? It's so fucking stupid. If they really want their delivery to be associated with gas then they should charge delivery fee(X) + cost of fuel to get there(Y). Then they are never responsible for changing gas prices, it's like an expense report for business travel almost at that point.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
lol, a 5$ per truck surcharge? I'm assuming big trucks and old diesel prices(which were around 4$ for me), so that gets them what? 10-25 miles depending on what you call a "truck"? Seriously shit like that pisses me off. Why charge the fucking surcharge? It's so fucking stupid. If they really want their delivery to be associated with gas then they should charge delivery fee(X) + cost of fuel to get there(Y). Then they are never responsible for changing gas prices, it's like an expense report for business travel almost at that point.
That is way too much of a pain in the ass. The majority of trucks aren't just delivering to you and other customers and going home. They are picking up backhauls to return to their warehouse. Then you have the problem of getting overloaded with work because people will wait till the cheap day of gas prices, totally fucking up trying to figure out your man hours needed. It's the same shit that happens when stupid consumers think if they wait the fucking day before a holiday the produce they get is fresher.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
allegedly airfare is dropping due in part to lower fuel prices, but jet fuel was already lower than average a bit ago, so it's not a dramatic shift in most cases. I don't have time to travel, and don't care to verify, but I read it was a thing.