The Grand Budapest Hotel

Szlia

This thread is not very lighthearted all of a sudden!

And to help sike navigate the Andersonverse, it should be said that I can't think of another movie of his that maintain such a frantic pace from start to finish. The closest are probably some parts of Moonrise Kingdom (also the closest film stylistically) and some parts of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Nevertheless, all of Anderson films are worth seeing. Even if some are darker and slower, nothing is quite like an Anderson movie.

Feien

Ploppers
Column has given this thread a perfect 180 degree camera pan. Wes Anderson would be proud. Specially since Column seems to be a flawed character yet he can't see it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Saw this movie tonight. Absolutely fucking loved it. One of the best movies I've seen this year and last.

Haka

N00b
Took the lady to see this and we both loved it. His movies are so engrossing, you're just lost in them - in a good way. Such excellent characterization, pacing, and humor.

Would recommend.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Is this ever going to get a wider release, or do I just have to wait for it to be on dvd/blu-ray

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the recommendations all, I'll definitely have to check out some of his other films.

Northerner

N00b
You forgot Fantastic Mr Fox, which is also awesome.
Hell, I'd say it is the best he has done.

I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone but seriously, I went in thinking I would hate it and ended up loving the damn thing to death. Easily a top 50 movie of all time for me at least.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just saw this tonight. I really liked it.

Even though all the actors did an amazing job, I still find myself wishing Wes wouldn't always use the same group of actors for every film. I know it adds a certain unique quality to his films, and further lends itself to the idea that his films are all encapsulated in their own world--but I'd love to see more variety.

Szlia

That's a little unfair when you consider five of the lead characters (Gustave, Zero, Agatha, Moustafa and the young writer) are interpreted by actors that never were in an Anderson movie before (Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori - obviously -, Saoirse Ronan, F. Murray Abraham, Jude Law). Now it's true the huge cast is packed with old acquaintances , but it's mostly in bit parts (and some of the bit parts are also given to well known actors new to the Andersonverse - Mathieu Amalric, L?a Seydoux).

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Going to see this during the weekend. What sold it for me was not Wes Anderson (since I honestly didn't know who the fuck he was) but that it's loosely based off of Stefan Zweig stories. Yes, I know I'm fucked up.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife and I caught it last weekend. Loved it. It really is a comedy from another era, though, like most of this guys movies. Fiennes knocked it out of the park in this one.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
What a strange movie. The tone and style are devoid of life. Everything is clean and precise and proper. He turns actors into mannequins.

What the fuck did I watch?

The humor was good. The plot kept me engaged and the constant stream of cameos was fun. Decent movie, but I feel really disoriented watching it. Who the fuck shoots movies in 4:3 aspect ratio??????????????????????

Szlia

The aspect ratio changes through the movie. I think it depends on the layer of the onion (the reader - the writer talking about his book - the writer meeting the owner - Monsieur Gustaf - etc) but I am not 100% sure.

About who still shoots in 4:3... it's not *that* uncommon. In recent weeks I saw a very good polish movie (Ida) and a japanese romantic slice-of-life film (Hotori no Sakuko) in that format.

For Ida I suspect it is a matter of picture composition and to anchor the film in its post WW2 era (the film is also in black and white - though a 1950s movie would rather be in 1.66 I believe). For Hotori no Sakuko my guess would be that it is to make the events of the films less cinematic, less dramatic, more "natural", only worth of a smaller form instead of the bombastic excess of a 2.35 scope or even 1.85 wide screen.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Not a huge Wes Anderson fan as a lot of his films feel drawn out or slow to me but absolutely loved this. Girl and I saw it last night. Don't get the comments saying it all lighthearted comedy though... Sure the "story" itself is but it's about a lonely old man hanging onto the memory of his dead wife and friend in a dilapidated hotel that only exists because of his attachment to the memories of his dead wife. He tells an amusing story about how he came to own the hotel and gain his wealth but the movie closes with him sad and alone with only his memories for company. Maybe I focused too much on it but I was kind of sad for him by the end.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Going to go see this today.

I'm not the biggest Wes Anderson fan, and don't love everything he's done, but I've never seen one of his movies and felt like my time was wasted.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya just saw it earlier. Weird but awesome at the same time. When they were chasing willem dafoe on the sled i was laughing my butt off. Great movie.