The Great Wall (2016)

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
pretty sure I won't believe anything more positive than "could be the worst movie ever, but awesome monsterz"

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hmm comes out in less than 2 weeks.
Didn't know Matt Damon did a movie about a bunch of immigrants trying to overcome a wall. Trailer I caught looked good.
Literally every time I hear about this movie my first thought is Trump.

That's called branding, folks.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Literally every time I hear about this movie my first thought is Trump.

That's called branding, folks.
Went to see my dad Friday recovering at home from his week long hospital stay. He said if he was well enough we'd hit a movie this month, except that "wall" movie. I had no idea what the was talking about. I just said ok. He mentioned Matt Damon and creatures and the damn wall. Now he is very anti Trump so not knowing this movie existed yesterday you can imagine what sort of movie I was picturing in my head. Then I saw a commercial tonight and was like oh. Not that wall.

Thinking back on it and his love for history. He wasn't upset about it being a "wall" movie. He was pissed off they ruined it by adding in fantasy shit. I think he would have rather had a real great wall movie.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think my favorite thing about the trailers/lead up to this movie is explaining to people that this is not a Hollywood movie, but Chinese. Like, they made this on purpose. My brother and I may go see it out of morbid curiosity and honestly I've watched way worse things more than likely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
having a twitter argument with a journalist who I accused of including spoilers in his review. IMO explaining storyline details = spoilers. He claims there are no spoilers, what do you guys think?

Matt Damon stars as a medieval Irish mercenary who finds himself in Song Dynasty China on a quest to find gunpowder – the fabled substance that “turns air into fire” – which he hopes to bring back to the West. His search takes him not to a city or a busy port, as you might expect, but the middle of a vast and almost entirely uninhabited desert, where one night he and his travelling party are attacked by a monstrous beast. Damon kills it and its body tumbles down a hitherto-unseen bottomless pit, but he manages to lop off a paw, which a local Chinese garrison identifies as belonging to a Tao Tie – a man-eating, four-legged Orc thing, seemingly millions of which live inside a nearby crashed meteor. Every 60 years they emerge en masse and lay siege to the Great Wall of China, in the hope of reaching the nearby ancient capital of Bianliang and feasting on the residents.

Siliconemelons

I had to give a review of every main plot point and its progression in order to review it! sheehs bra!

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Please tell me this is part of a training montage somewhere in the movie...
If not... 0/10

Szlia

having a twitter argument with a journalist who I accused of including spoilers in his review. IMO explaining storyline details = spoilers. He claims there are no spoilers, what do you guys think?

Matt Damon stars as a medieval Irish mercenary who finds himself in Song Dynasty China on a quest to find gunpowder – the fabled substance that “turns air into fire” – which he hopes to bring back to the West. His search takes him not to a city or a busy port, as you might expect, but the middle of a vast and almost entirely uninhabited desert, where one night he and his travelling party are attacked by a monstrous beast. Damon kills it and its body tumbles down a hitherto-unseen bottomless pit, but he manages to lop off a paw, which a local Chinese garrison identifies as belonging to a Tao Tie – a man-eating, four-legged Orc thing, seemingly millions of which live inside a nearby crashed meteor. Every 60 years they emerge en masse and lay siege to the Great Wall of China, in the hope of reaching the nearby ancient capital of Bianliang and feasting on the residents.

My take is that, if you are writing a review, everything that is in the exposition is fair game. That being said, the idea is to give a sense as to what the movie is about and here it seems to me some of the details are not really needed to achieve that. If you are writing a critique though, everything is fair game.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
ok 3 MAJOR POINTS HERE: Quick Side note we really sucked china dick hard. And turns out China way back when was all about the EoE.

1)Chinese Matt Damon was godawful.

2)However, StarCraft set in China way back when was fucking awesome the zerg look great the Zerg Queen looked ok the hydras look decent. I like how they zerg rushed that terrain wall YOU don't get to see the lurkers who do the digging that sucked

3)everything else blows hard fucking CHINA DICK!'

In conclusion, the movie was a visiualy appealing movie the 3d imax was fucking great the storyline and propaganda was on par with dog shit.

a solid 2.5 out of 10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
you do know the movie was made by chinese, financed by china, directed by chinese, the entire crew is chinese, and the movie is already profitable having made $180m in china (budget was $150m)

why they picked matt damon though will always be a mystery

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
you do know the movie was made by chinese, financed by china, directed by chinese, the entire crew is chinese, and the movie is already profitable having made $180m in china (budget was $150m)

I assume because he said "yes" although that itself is a mystery because I feel like he can still get whatever role he wants in the U.S.

Maybe he has ancestors who died on the wall fighting the demon hordes, back in the day.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Because hes huge in china

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

It's kind of spoilerish, but kind of not. It tells roughly what happens in the first 10 minutes, but doesn't give anything of importance away.

Don't worry.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Because they are doing what Hollywood does in reverse, i.e., marketing a chinese movie to the rest of the world while having a known Hollywood actor.

• 1Like

Szlia

I find it more mysterious that John Cusack and Adrian Brody find themselves in Dragon Blade (a Jackie Chan vehicle directed by B list HK director Daniel Lee), than Matt Damon finding himself in a chinese blockbuster directed my Zhang Yimou, who has been internationally acclaimed since the early '90s, first for his social drama (Ju Dou, The Story of Qiu Ju) and then for his epics (Hero, House of the Flying Daggers, Curse of the Golden Flower).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

I might have liked this more than terrible Kong, so it's now up to Brei Larson and Jing Tian to decide

4e95bc4f34d696fc3b21969ea1b278de.jpg

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
Watched at home today, really enjoyed it. Reminded me of the 80s action/adventure movies I grew up on that have kinda disappeared from Hollywood. Very high production values, simple but fun and by the numbers story, all the leads were fantastic If this is an indication of the kind of movie that China is going to start putting out for world wide audiences, I think Hollywood should be a bit scared.

Lead actress was pretty smoking and cool, I totally understand too why Matt Damon took this role (besides the money). Its an interesting peek at what may be the future of big blockbuster movies. Cinematography was gorgeous, the landscape looked very different from Hollywood movies which are usually shot in western USA, canada, or europe and have a recognizable look. Also interesting how it fills in a rich and strong backstory for chinese history.

8/10 for me.

Homsar

I wouldnt give it an 8/10 but its definitely more entertaining than all the terrible action movies that came out.