The Green Knight (2020)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I watched this a couple of days ago I thought it was fantastic. Have still just been thinking about it. It's a little off putting with the Indian dude being Gawain, but he's good enough and it works.

I know I know I shouldn't have to suspend my disbelief that much, but it's so well shot and for the couple of hours or whatever, I was totally caught up with it.

Really took me out of this world, and I guess a good movie should always be able to do that. I thought the ending was fantastic, too.

Is this is my favorite Arthurian literature adaptation, of course not, we all know the true king, Excalibur.

However, this was a wonderful movie, and it's easily better than most of the BS that you see in the theaters or streaming. At least they tried to work their asses on off to make something artistic and interesting.

Probably one of the best movies I've seen all year. I know it's been out for a while, but God damn, it was great! This is sort of shit we should be championing as opposed to some dumbass Star Wars movie, fast and furious, etc...

Reminds me there is a couple hour interpretation video on the ending I meant to watch. Lost all my tabs and forgot about it so I appreciate the bump.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I need to read up on it. I still don't get stuff with the mom. Briefly reading up on the lore there is a few takes on the story, I have no idea what one to beleive

If it wasn't for Dev being a solid actor I would never give it a chance. I don't fully understand the horse and fox and other characters.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
It's Gawain and the Green Knight. I think pretty classic Arthurian literature.

I remember the first film adaptation I had seen was Sean Connery as the Green Knight, I'll be back in the very early 80s. Saw it as a kid and I didn't necessarily understand it when I was super young.
From the literature standpoint, I believe there are different versions, much like most of Arthurian literature, but it's a pretty cool story. I haven't read her study that stuff since high school or college, and I guess maybe that's why the movie was so interesting.

Had to study the story in high school. Fucking hated it. Would probably enjoy it a lot more now.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Gawain was the guy who was supposedly descended from Jesus, right? He was the one who was able to retrieve the holy grail for Arthur if memory serves.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You're probably right. It has been a good 30 years since I read anything Arthurian related.
Yeah I want to say the last time I read any of it was back in college, it seemed like a lot more in high school.

At A&M in college station, there was an Arthurian literature class, and the guy who taught it was Wyatt from the movie Weird Science. I didn't take the class but one of my best friends did. I don't know if he still teaches there. I think he was only in that movie and one other.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Gawain was the guy who was supposedly descended from Jesus, right? He was the one who was able to retrieve the holy grail for Arthur if memory serves.
Pretty sure thats Percival. Gawain was the guy who was super strong at sunrise and got weaker as the day went on if i recall correctly.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Galahad was also known as a knight who found the Grail

I believe Percival, Galahad and Bors the Younger were all involved

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Galahad was also known as a knight who found the Grail

I believe Percival, Galahad and Bors the Younger were all involved
I guess that's why I was saying a lot of the Arthurian legends changed over time, or there are different versions.

It really is such a neat pocket of History and mythology. Even as a kid that just scoops you up. Better than God damn Star Wars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hard for honor in high school and this legend was like a motto; this movie is hard for something else, many say penises

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I don't watch bollywood movies.

1715402881324.png

• 1Like