a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
1.67 star(s) Rating: 1.67/5 3 Votes
Title: The I-Land

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2019-09-12

Creator: Lucy Teitler, Neil LaBute

Cast: Kate Bosworth, Kota Eberhardt, Sibylla Deen, Anthony Lee Medina, Ronald Peet, Michelle Veintimilla, Kyle Schmid, Alex Pettyfer, Natalie Martinez

Overview: Wiped clean of memories and thrown together, a group of strangers fight to survive harsh realities -- and the island that traps them.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I particularly enjoyed this one. Don't want to say anything to spoil it for now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Interesting. After the Another Life disappointment, I had written this off as garbage. Might have to check it out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

on 2nd show now. main chick is terrible
would be better if i had not seen the trailer it has big spoilers
-
ok idea, but below syfy channel level acting and story.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What a time to be a Light Skinned Female of Ambiguous Ethnicity! They are just killing it landing leading roles.

Yeah, so I watched the whole thing, and while I gave it a thumbs up, I can't really say you should all rush out and binge it. It wasn't terrible, as obviously I watched all 7 episodes in a row and I felt ok about continuing to watch, but it wasn't very good. Decent premise as Goatface Goatface said, but not really executed anywhere near as well as I would have liked. Better than Another Life though!

EDIT: Oh, and main chick is an inferior imitation of this chick, which is all I could see through the entire series:
erica6jpg[1].jpg

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
We binged like 5 episodes of this last night. I agree with the critics that the dialogue is somewhat clunky and some of the plotlines are predictable, but the tomatometer was a bit harsh imo (only 26%) and all in all feel it's worth a watch.

I got a "Lord of the Flies" vibe from it at first (the conch shell) but it's progressing into something a bit deeper, which I'm enjoying! I feel that the spoilerish reveal of what's going on could've been delayed by a few episodes though; the show revealed its hand too soon imo, but that's a relatively small criticism. If you enjoy sci-fi mystery with a splash of Twilight Zone creepiness, this show can work for you.

So far, B- rating. It's quite decent but has obvious flaws.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
What a time to be a Light Skinned Female of Ambiguous Ethnicity! They are just killing it landing leading roles.

Yeah, so I watched the whole thing, and while I gave it a thumbs up, I can't really say you should all rush out and binge it. It wasn't terrible, as obviously I watched all 7 episodes in a row and I felt ok about continuing to watch, but it wasn't very good. Decent premise as Goatface Goatface said, but not really executed anywhere near as well as I would have liked. Better than Another Life though!

EDIT: Oh, and main chick is an inferior imitation of this chick, which is all I could see through the entire series:
View attachment 222944
Oh is that the Girl from Eureka? Definitely no sharp elbows there!
She also reminds me of Shaw girl from "Person of interest" which was a decent show too.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I tried, I couldn't do it. Tapped out about halfway through the first episode.

I'm not gonna say it's bad because i didn't watch enough to know. It seems like that's where it was heading though.

Might be ok if you really enjoy survivor.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I tried, I couldn't do it. Tapped out about halfway through the first episode.

I'm not gonna say it's bad because i didn't watch enough to know. It seems like that's where it was heading though.

Might be ok if you really enjoy survivor.

We watched two full episodes. I was tapped out after one but wife wanted to keep going. It continued with bad writing, bad acting, people being completely unlikeable etc. Terrible.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
2 ep in. I strongly suspect the story ends up being shallow and dumb. But that ass. I'm still watching.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The reason everyone is unlikable and insufferable is part of the story. Get through episode 3.

But yeah, it's Survivor, Matrix on an island, mixed with future-prison.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
So since this appears to suck, I wont feel bad about a detail. With so much amazing SciFi that has been written, why does so much of our SciFi TV and movies suck so bad. I honestly cant figure it out. Can they not buy rights to the majority of books/short stories? Are screenwriters unwilling to just follow the great source material and feel the need to "make it better"?

Intersteller isnt a 10 but it's still really fucking good. Inception is great. But for every 5th Element we get mountains and mountains of Jupiter Ascending. How can it be this hard to write, act and direct good science fiction? Now I get budgets can be an issue for SciFi TV and that is understandable. But shitty writing and acting is never excusable.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah I dunno either. There's so much garbage.

Afraid to go for the niche markets I guess? I mean Primer is HARD sci-fi... but good lord it's almost unwatchable. Ex Machina is wonderful, but it takes movie shortcuts in order to be as good as it is.

So little sci-fi is actually sci-fi. Something like that movie "Her" is actually sci-fi even though it's set in the "not very distant" future. But a lot of these sci-fi movies are just reskinned regular old stories that have nothing to do with the genre. If your story COULD take place in another era then it's not science fiction. It's just fiction.

Seen a lot of that too. Some are not bad stories, but it sure wasn't a science fiction story.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wife and I actually suffered through the whole thing and it some how manages to get even worse by the end. Take away the main actress constant cleavage and not I'm not sure it's possible to sit through this. I get bad acting, but I'm always baffled by stories that don't require a degree in rocket surgery to see that they are nonsensical garbage. I want an insider documentary that follows a show like this through it's entire creation process so I can at least come to some understanding on why story lines weren't fixed to even the most basic level.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Wife and I actually suffered through the whole thing and it some how manages to get even worse by the end. Take away the main actress constant cleavage and not I'm not sure it's possible to sit through this. I get bad acting, but I'm always baffled by stories that are don't require a degree in rocket surgery to see that they are nonsensical garbage. I want an insider documentary that follows a show like this through it's entire creation process so I can at least come to some understanding on why story lines weren't fixed to even the most basic level.
I'm just glad you're not the lead writer on anything, ever.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So since this appears to suck, I wont feel bad about a detail. With so much amazing SciFi that has been written, why does so much of our SciFi TV and movies suck so bad. I honestly cant figure it out. Can they not buy rights to the majority of books/short stories? Are screenwriters unwilling to just follow the great source material and feel the need to "make it better"?
I think you nailed it exactly. They genuinely think they need to make it better. A good screenwriter gets the fuck out of the way and just translates the story from book to film. A good screenwriter is invisible. A bad screenwriter "has something to say" and wants to "update the story for 2019 America" or some shit. A bad screenwriter wants attention.

Its like if the translator at a UN meeting decided that instead of just translating what the President said, he was gonna do an interpretive dance and recite a poem about climate change. Its like, sit down bitch, no one cares about what you've got to say -- youre just the translator.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database