The Little Things (2021)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I agree with what everyone wrote. It had potential to be really outstanding and instead ended up sort of middle of the road. One positive thing my wife pointed out. We know a bunch of cops and she always hates the "cop comes back years later and everyone gets all pissy even the new guys". It was more realistic that Maliki would be like "hey they may think you're a dick, but if you can help me catch a killer then get the fuck over here".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Agree with consensus here. It's the Anti-Seven. Lots of great set up, and I thought it was going to be 7.5-8.5 movie, rather than ending as a 3-5 at best. Absolutely terrible ending. Lots of great acting. I just gd love Denzel on the screen.

I went back and watched the last 30 min again and then wiki'ed to be sure I was getting it right. The whole movie wastes all this time setting up this serial killer crime junkie with all of this access and inside info coincidently close to the case but just so happened to maybe(surely in the movie's narrative) be innocent but just happens to have the patter and habits of serial killer movie villain. One thing I do like is that final minutes explains why the Captain is super cold to what would have been his best detective. That was still unclear to me until that final scene in the coroner's office, although the first time through I thought Frank Sobotka shot her.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Terrible story, propped up by the performances of great actors. Makes you wonder how shit like this even gets made in the first place.

Who owed who favors here? Why would Denzel and the others even sign up for a story that is so drawl and mundane?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Will echo everyone else's opinion. Potential that went nowhere, Denzel and Leto are good, Malek seemed like he was trying to hide his teeth everytime he spoke? Took me almost an hour to get used to whatever acting style he was trying to do (which definitely didn't come across as hot shot fast rising cop).

Surprised how many people were baffled by the ending scene, seemed really clear to me. Doesn't make the movie any better though

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Terrible story, propped up by the performances of great actors. Makes you wonder how shit like this even gets made in the first place.
There's a lot of this in Denzel's list of movies. I doubt he lacks options when it comes to picking movies, so I would assume he picks movies for a variety of reasons, and quality of script probably isn't at the top of the list a lot of the time.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Who owed who favors here? Why would Denzel and the others even sign up for a story that is so drawl and mundane?
Apparently this shit was written way back in like 1993. I'm assuming it got made because of China Virus and nobody writing. So, they dusted off an almost 30 year old script.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently this shit was written way back in like 1993. I'm assuming it got made because of China Virus and nobody writing. So, they dusted off an almost 30 year old script.

they coulda payed a homeless person a gram of meth to spend an hour rewriting the last quarter and had a 10x better movie

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Had great potential with the cast, but was a tension thriller with no tension. More waiting in a car watching Leto please. Go fuck yourself. 3/10

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Will echo everyone else's opinion. Potential that went nowhere, Denzel and Leto are good, Malek seemed like he was trying to hide his teeth everytime he spoke? Took me almost an hour to get used to whatever acting style he was trying to do (which definitely didn't come across as hot shot fast rising cop).

Surprised how many people were baffled by the ending scene, seemed really clear to me. Doesn't make the movie any better though
It wasn't that I didn't understand, it was that I didn't believe what I was seeing: After all that bullshit, it was like "THIS IS THE ENDING YOU CHOSE? AND THAT IS WHY HE REALLY LEFT?"
Oh No What GIF by Identity
sad d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
finally got around to seeing this, what an odd movie. It totally feels like a 90s "detective deconstruction oddball" movie, with a crazy cast. Nothing really works, the characters are totally "movie characters" and never feel like real people ever, but it does give some weird (lesser) vibes of Usual Suspects, Se7en, LA Confidential, etc.

Its super bizarre that this movie got made, its an extremely slow paced, slow burn movie with zero action or even tension, just 2 detectives showing how impossibly hard it is to solve crimes.

enjoyed watching it for the 90s nostalgia but yeah its probably not really for... anyone. i still can't figure out why it got made, its like the exact opposite of what audiences want in 2021 - fast pace, high tension and stakes, lot of fast snappy talking, lot of twists and unexpected shenanigans. This movie has none of that lol