TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
As if there are options that don't?
rrr_img_30151.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It's kind of like a dare almost, try to live without cellphones and email you wretched masses, because nothing is going to change.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
It's kind of like a dare almost, try to live without cellphones and email you wretched masses, because nothing is going to change.
I can live without cellphones and email, but let me tell you one thing for sure, whoever is reading my emails and listening to my calls is going to be one bored mother fucker.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I don't think there is any physical person that listens to anything they just store it and when their hearts desire they can look at all the meta data and some internet data like pictures emails video any kind of file you transfer they can look at it, and just having this device that stores everything and most likely if not now eventually the phone calls too, it all just sits there as a massive information database for whatever they deem it's purpose.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
http://www.politico.com/multimedia/v...er-60-sec.html

President Barack Obama's chief defense of his administration's wide-ranging data-gathering programs Friday: Congress authorized them, with "every member" well aware of the details.

Not so, say many members of Congress - Democrats and Republicans alike.

Typically, members of Congress "don't receive this kind of briefing," Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) told POLITICO Friday. They wouldn't have known about the programs unless they were on an intelligence committee, attended special sessions last held in 2011 or specifically asked to be briefed - something they would only know to do if they were clued in by an colleague who was already aware.

Durbin said he learned about the two programs himself only after requesting a briefing under "classified circumstances" after being urged to do so by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.).

Congressional leadership and intelligence committees had access to information about the programs, he said - but the "average member" of Congress likely wouldn't have been aware of the breadth of the telephone and Internet surveillance.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC News - Edward Snowden was NSA Prism leak source

A former CIA technical worker has been identified by the UK's Guardian newspaper as the source of leaks about US surveillance programmes.

Edward Snowden, 29, is described by the paper as an ex-CIA technical assistant, currently employed by defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

The Guardian said his identity was being revealed at his own request.

The recent revelations are that US agencies gathered millions of phone records and monitored internet data.

A spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the matter had now been referred to the Department of Justice as a criminal matter.

The Guardian quotes Mr Snowden as saying he flew to Hong Kong on 20 May, where he holed himself up in a hotel.

He told the paper that the extent of US surveillance was "horrifying", adding: "We can plant bugs in machines. Once you go on the network, I can identify your machine. You will never be safe whatever protections you put in place."

He added: "I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things? I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded."

Mr Snowden said he did not believe he had committed a crime: "We have seen enough criminality on the part of government. It is hypocritical to make this allegation against me."

Asked what he thought would happen to him, he replied: "Nothing good."

Mr Snowden said he accepted he could end up in jail. "If they want to get you, over time they will," he said.

He said he also feared the US authorities would "act aggressively against anyone who has known me. That keeps me up at night".
Hmmm, this won't end good for the guy

tl;dr

couldn't possibly care any less. is the point of this thread that some of you are actually offended?

pro-tip: don't be a terrorist in america.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Members of Congress who pass the required background investigations (lets presume for the moment they all pass) all have access to the background material for the laws that they passed.

Senator Paul and any others acting in shock and outrage are either lying or are incompetent...quite possibly the latter sad to say.

You see the material cannot reside in these doofuses office, they actually have to go to a secure facility in order to view the material. In their case the facility IS IN THE SAME BUILDING, but they have to go slightly out of their way to go look at it.

Now you would like to hope that prior to voting on a bill that addresses classified material and intelligence that they would take the time to go and access this stuff in order to learn what it is they are voting on. However they never actually read any material, they rely upon their 'staffers' to read and tell them what their opinions are and to pull relevant sound-byte worthy quotes out so they can make impassioned speeches that hopefully get picked up by the media.

But the staffers cannot access the material and furthermore the deliberations on the issue of classified material cannot be reported in the media so....

Politicians are good at only one thing : getting elected. It is very rare that you will find one that is capable also of governing.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Members of Congress who pass the required background investigations (lets presume for the moment they all pass) all have access to the background material for the laws that they passed.
Typically, members of Congress "don't receive this kind of briefing," Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) told POLITICO Friday. They wouldn't have known about the programs unless they were on an intelligence committee, attended special sessions last held in 2011 or specifically asked to be briefed - something they would only know to do if they were clued in by an colleague who was already aware.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I dont know whats scarier, the data collection or that most of you thought this wasn't happening already for the last 20 years

Arakkis

N00b
No. There is a huge difference between gathering a list of phone numbers dialed from public pay phones and archiving the total content of all electronic communications into and out of America for later use. Additionally, this program was set up because the FISA courts were taking too long and the NSA wanted the information without all that pesky oversight. Finally, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft have long held that they only turning over data when required to by a court, which is clearly not the case. Yeah I kn ow I shouldn't be surprised that politicians and corporations lie, but this is criminal.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
In light of the recent revelations regarding the NSA?s program designed to keep Americans safe, I write this to implore all of you to contact your representatives in Washington to close the huge and looming gap in information gathering. Given the reprehensible leaking of information regarding the NSA's data gathering efforts, electronic communication will now be eyed suspiciously by terrorists, who will be looking for alternative methods of communication.

This gap has been identified, and a win-win solution is within our grasps.

As all Americans know, phone records, electronic communications, and financial transactions are all filtered through the NSA, who is ready to jump on possibility of domestic terrorism. Armed drones stand ready for deployment in urban areas, ready to mete out justice to domestic terrorists without lengthy and costly due process. The Free Press is given special scrutiny as well, as again our safety depends on their silence. With all these measures in place, is it any wonder that the need for increased border security is nonexistent? The true threat comes from those already in the United States. The last real barrier in protecting America is, ironically enough, the United States Postal Service

Please urge your representative to consider a bill that would allow the USPS to open all correspondence and photograph or otherwise record the contents of mail being processed by the USPS. I understand that the USPS already does photograph the front and back of all correspondence, but the meta-data that is available from the actual content would prove invaluable to the efforts of the NSA in its information gathering. Not only would recipient and return addresses and dates of sending be available, but meta-data that could, in the future, stop a terrorist attack. I feel we have an obligation as Americans to protect our children. As this would be no different than the scanning of e-mails and other electronic communications, I again reiterate my fear that more traditional methods of communication need to be closely monitored.

Meta-data that is easily available with electronic communications could easily be collected and sorted. Among these meta-data total word count, specific word counts, and placement of words within the correspondences, painting a more complete picture for NSA analysts. Given Homeland Security?s warning regarding right-wing extremist groups, not only traditionally targeted phrases such as ?bomb? and ?al-Qaeda? could be collected from meta-data of USPS correspondence, but also phrases such as ?Tea Party?, ?9/12?, ?patriot?. As this is all meta-data, there would be no privacy issues that needed to be overcome.

Is it possible that with such information gathering available, the attack of an Embassy in Benghazi (even though this was a foreign incident, and as such outside of the NSAs jurisdiction) and the bombing of the Boston Marathon, may have been prevented even sooner than with the NSA?s electronic, phone, and credit card data gathering alone?

The win-win in this situation is that customers of the USPS would have their mail sent to them digitally via e-mail. Letters containing poison or chemical agents would no longer reach our elected representatives, as these nefarious packages would make it no further than USPS facilities. This program would obviously be well supported among younger demographics who prefer electronic communication to ?snail mail?, and whom generally allow mail to collect in their physical mail-boxes for days if not weeks. This delay in information gathering could prove disastrous from a National Security standpoint. Not only would this increase the efficiency of the USPS to deliver mail, but would also save the costs of delivery of those mail items. The savings from such a program could then be directed toward the always successful policy of arming rebels, who, upon overthrowing dictatorial regimes, become beacons of democracy and capitalism around the world.

I sincerely look forward to not hearing about the healthy, classified debate regarding this program, and fully support all our government?s efforts to keep Americans safe.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If that kid were as smart as he thinks he is, he would have sold all of that info to the Chinese and made a fortune. What a fucking idiot.

Mire_sl

shitlord
Pasted fromhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shor...rism-logo-mean

The Prism logo is slightly more opaque than the one used by the US government's Information Awareness Office, which boasted an all-seeing eye atop a pyramid, casting a golden light across an adjacent planet Earth. They might just as well have used the motto "We Spy on Absolutely Everybody". It's more than a little disturbing to think that someone of influence within the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency once looked at a rough sketch of that and said: "Yeah, cool."

The eye-on-the-pyramid scheme came from the Great Seal of the United States ? it's on the back of the dollar bill ? and is still beloved of conspiracy theorists all over the world. It's meant to be the all-seeing eye of God, but it's also commonly associated with freemasonry, the occult and a shadowy New World order presided over by the Illuminati. To deploy it in a logo for a creepy-sounding spy agency simply justifies the paranoia of people who think the world is run by lizard-shaped aliens. David Icke's next podcast will write itself.

rrr_img_30226.jpg

I got a kick outta that...