The Official Guitar Thread

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I can't for the life of me get my high strings perfect on my older guitars when I set them up but for some reason i get pro on basses when it comes down to it. I'm at no Noodleface level of playing but I'll definitely echo his sentiment. Turn some screws and see what you come up with; the guitar tech at your local store isn't going to charge you extra for an extra quarter turn of a screw and unless you just go nuts and strip things out or completely unthread a block you're not going to irreversibly damage anything. Your guitar is yours at the end of the day and the more you know how to fine tune it to how you want it to feel the better you play.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh, I may have been playing for almost 20 years but I probably have the skill of someone who just picked up the guitar. I only learned to setup my guitars after a tech charged me $65 and when I brought the guitar home pieces started falling off.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Thanks to the Rerolled Rockin' bros decided to tackle the setup myself and solved the fret buzz and tuning problems. I usedFender's Setup Guideand checked out a few YouTube videos. I still need to get a radius gauge and maybe a strobe tuner. Hardest part was adjusting the height of the pickups, damn screws wanted to strip out. Running 10's now, but thinking about slightly heavier strings on the low E and A.

UlsRdtO.jpg

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never thought I'd have to say this, but I can't haul my Classic 30 around (for a while, still), and want a smaller amp. Volume isn't so much a concern (loud's OK), but I want to keep it under 25 pounds. The front runners right now are a Vox AC4C1 or Marshall Class 5. Any one have experience with those, or alternate recommendations that I should check out?

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
My band just released an album, I thought I'd toss it up here if any of the peeps in the guitar thread like alt metal. The song titles are all pretty Chinglishy due to them all being Chinese originally.

Give er a listen. Or don't. And stuff.

Incisors | Incisors

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I ended up buying a Vox AC4C1-12, and it's going back to the store. The tone just sounds off to me, and the Vox chime kinda grates on my nerves after a while. I swapped the stock tubes for a set of JJ's, and while that made a little difference, it wasn't enough to sway me. A Celestion Blue Alnico sounds like it would improve the amp considerably, but I really don't want to double the price of an amp that I'm not already in love with. I got to fiddle around with a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25 the other day, and I think that's going to be my next amp. The matching slant cab isn't out yet, though, and Mesa Custom is running about two months out, so I'm just going to wait until the first of the year and re-evaluate.

I made the switch to Everly B52's today after my first real lesson, and they definitely have more mojo than the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's that I've been using. I didn't think there could be that much difference, but it's truly astounding.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have any experience with Larrivee guitars. Going out to a dealer about an hour away to play a L-03 and L-03R. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't gotten to play around with it a whole lot yet, but the settings recommended in the manual have all sounded pretty metal. I put a Throttle Box in front of it, and it was definitely a wall of sound. I rolled the mids off the pedal and got it sounding pretty killer, but I don't think that's going to see much use with the new amp. I'm in lesbians with it so far!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just put some el-cheapo Celestions in my reissue Bassman. At least one of the "factory" speakers (one had obviously already been replaced) was starting to take a shit. It's strange, I never realized that the original speakers had too much bass, because it sounded reasonably okay at apartment volumes, but then they sounded terrible at band volumes. The Celstions are going to take some getting used to, but I like them a lot so far.

a2KrQTN.jpg

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A good speaker can really bring out the maximum potential in an amp. My Peavey Classic 30 sounded pretty good with the stock Eminence, but the Celestion G12H30 really brought it to life. A new set of tubes helped round it out even more.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
That amp had EL34s in it when I bought it. Fender was too cheap to put a bias pot in it too. Shit was all wrong. The guy I bought it from was playing harmonica through it though, so he wasn't even aiming at the same target that I am.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have a favorite guide for making your own cables? I just made my first batch, and one of them is showing a short (albeit very dimly) even after chopping and changing connectors. The soldering looked nice and precise on both sets of connectors, so it's down to a funky tester (George L Pocket Tester) or bad length of cable, I think. My soldering experience is non-existent, though, so there might just be something simple that I'm missing.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider

I ended up picking up a Larrivee L-03r. Really an amazing guitar for the $1400 price range. No frills, just sounds and plays great. I played it next to some similarly priced martins and it blew them out of the water, not even close. I've had it for about a week now and am extremely happy with my purchase.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
If I run a 5150 into another 5150 and then run that second 5150 back into the first do I even need to play or be present on stage anymore or will the resulting shred inherent in the amps just play its own show and allow me to just hang out with women?