The Perfect Burger Thread...

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I watch this guy's channel pretty often. Does a lot of copycat burger recipes from around the country. Some se disgusting but others look pretty good. I think he owns a burger place in California or something. The videos are nice because at least it kind of gives you a springboard if you're looking to try to make something different than the traditional American hamburger.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx isn’t necessarily wrong here. Griddle smash burgers are hard to beat. I know many of you will hate to hear it.
Absolutely. It's why Freddie's is a couple of months meal. The best one's you get have the most lace. Turtle pecan frozen custard Sunday afterwards. Only problem is their fries are too shoestring style. Fuddruckers has probably the best for a burger joint, but the jalapeno cheese sauce probably gives them an unfair advantage.

They're a good example though what place that does a difference have a burger. Growing up in Texas Fuddruckers is an institution, dad used to take us there all the time, we had one in College Station that we would constantly go eat at we were on our lunch break. You order the burger by the size you want and it's grilled, and nice and meaty and you tell them how long it's cooked.

Sometimes you just want a steakier type burger, and sometimes you want the greasy, American cheese gooey flat top Burger.

They're both wonderful.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Absolutely. It's why Freddie's is a couple of months meal. The best one's you get have the most lace. Turtle pecan frozen custard Sunday afterwards. Only problem is their fries are too shoestring style. Fuddruckers has probably the best for a burger joint, but the jalapeno cheese sauce probably gives them an unfair advantage.

They're a good example though what place that does a difference have a burger. Growing up in Texas Fuddruckers is an institution, dad used to take us there all the time, we had one in College Station that we would constantly go eat at we were on our lunch break. You order the burger by the size you want and it's grilled, and nice and meaty and you tell them how long it's cooked.

Sometimes you just want a steakier type burger, and sometimes you want the greasy, American cheese gooey flat top Burger.

They're both wonderful.
yea i'm anti grill and grill grates b/c they inevitably make a bad burger

why? b/c if you slap a burger on a grill, it has to be thick or that shit falls thru.

thats why i advocate for the griddle, two things that cannot be achieved w/ the grill is that

1. you cook the burger in it's juices, whats the point of having a nice 80/20 chuck if all that fat/flavor is just gonna hit the coals? youre not smoking, but if you use a griddle you keep all those juices cooking the burger

2. the difference between a burger and a damn good burger is the maillard reaction, we all know about it and if you cook on a griddle you can smash the burger, is it just cool? no it creates more surface area for meat to contact the griddle and more maillard reaction = more yumyum.

also another option available to a griddle and not grill is the option to use a burger dome to cook/melt cheese (and other fufu aeromatic shit)
8777c57a6d0b9587155cd511427c4947.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
one thing i want to try out is home made burger buns, homemade buns have to be better than storebought shit, right?

so far i have 3 i want to try

i consider chef jons burger buns probably the one ppl copy most, i've seen different variations of this

this is a potato burger bun

this is the weisman burger bun he borrows from the japanese fluffy bread technique of tangzhong

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i'm anti grill and grill grates b/c they inevitably make a bad burger

why? b/c if you slap a burger on a grill, it has to be thick or that shit falls thru.

thats why i advocate for the griddle, two things that cannot be achieved w/ the grill is that

1. you cook the burger in it's juices, whats the point of having a nice 80/20 chuck if all that fat/flavor is just gonna hit the coals? youre not smoking, but if you use a griddle you keep all those juices cooking the burger

2. the difference between a burger and a damn good burger is the maillard reaction, we all know about it and if you cook on a griddle you can smash the burger, is it just cool? no it creates more surface area for meat to contact the griddle and more maillard reaction = more yumyum.

also another option available to a griddle and not grill is the option to use a burger dome to cook/melt cheese (and other fufu aeromatic shit)
cuisinart-melting-dome-tout-2f8118af05384465968fecc0675a2023.jpg
That's why both flatop and steak house style burgers each have their place. Both are delicious, just depends on what mood you're in.

There used to be a place over the Harvey canal in New Orleans. Actually two places now that I'm remembering my childhood.

First was Chelsea's. Named after the granddaughter of the guy who started Brennan's, famous Louisiana restaurant. It's kind of like Freddy's, but was just literally a drive-thru for frozen custard, hamburgers, hot dogs, and cajun fries, that might be where they were possibly started.

The only three flavors of ice cream that I was chocolate, vanilla, and the flavor of the day. My mom used to get a calendar from them, and it had whatever flavors were supposed to be throughout the month. It's the best ice cream I've ever had in my entire life.

Make straight A's on your report card, it was going to Chelsea's and getting a cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a turtle sundae.

Their burgers were the very thin flat top type deal, maybe they weren't as amazing as I remember but I have a lot of fun memories associated with that place. Was just one of the places that we always visited growing up.

Other place was Ruby Red's, not too much further down the road. Dark hole in the Wall restaurant / bar. They did thick burgers on gas grills. You got a bucket of peanuts when you went in, and you just throw your shells on the floor. We didn't go there very often but I guess sometimes when my parents wanted a burger like that we'd go for dinner. The burgers were always excellent, despite being different.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Usually hate getting burgers when I'm out. sometimes they suck, generally a lot of money for what it is.

Luckily enough after 2 years here found a tiny run down ancient drive in that probably predates sonic as a company. Dont think this place Petes was there the whole time, but man. Great slightly crispy seared juicy double cheeses with the veggies.

Shame it's still kinda expensive for what it is. Great huge fried mozz sticks, chicken fried steak sandwhich. Hell even have fish/shrimp etc but I'm scared and have no reason to order them when I have the best burgers I've had in the while right there.

Need to try Sonics new garbage, I always hated em. Really just need to scrub the dust out of my cast iron and give smash burgers a try myself. (I'd love a very thick succulent burger but I fuck it up w/ my stove top attempts)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Usually hate getting burgers when I'm out. sometimes they suck, generally a lot of money for what it is.

Luckily enough after 2 years here found a tiny run down ancient drive in that probably predates sonic as a company. Dont think this place Petes was there the whole time, but man. Great slightly crispy seared juicy double cheeses with the veggies.

Shame it's still kinda expensive for what it is. Great huge fried mozz sticks, chicken fried steak sandwhich. Hell even have fish/shrimp etc but I'm scared and have no reason to order them when I have the best burgers I've had in the while right there.

Need to try Sonics new garbage, I always hated em. Really just need to scrub the dust out of my cast iron and give smash burgers a try myself. (I'd love a very thick succulent burger but I fuck it up w/ my stove top attempts)
Gotta find the whole in the wall places. The fast food chains are hit and miss. I love Whataburger, but I know which locations based on my work travels that are decent enough to stop at and the service is good as well as the quality.

If I'm working on project in an area for a one. Of time and want a hamburger, I'll typically ask my client where to go. Most times they steer me in the right direction. That's just some mom and pop doing or dive bar. Sometimes it's flat top burgers and other times it's the steakhouse style.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Griddle with thinly sliced white onion, mustard and American cheese is about as classic as it gets. Put onion raw on burger while on the grill, smash, flip when ready, put cheese on and steam with cover. Definitely S tier burger.