The Pokemon Thread

Needless

Toe Sucker
rrr_img_8028.jpg

Will it have shiny pokemon? pleaseeee
Are there any that don't have shiny pokemon? legit question, i've never cared enough to hunt for them unless i accidentaly run into them

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think most people here just want to see the franchise evolve beyond what it was 15 years ago. The core mechanics are sound but Nintendo has been really conservative with the franchise which has caused it to become stale. Hopefully this version changes that but it's still no substitute for a full fledged console RPG.
Eh, I've been playing White, after not having played since Emerald, and it certainly doesn't feel stale to me. Maybe if you've been playing every single release since Red and Blue, it will seem stagnant, I don't know.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I find theres a large enough gap inbetween generations that it doesn't get stale. So long as you don't buy the inevitable follow up game with that generation.. like black2/white2

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I haven't really played a pokemon since yellow/red though my kids play the shit out of them, but I picked up Y last night and its nice. The graphical overhaul was super needed. Its pokemon, so its either your bag or not your bag, but I'm enjoying it.

I have a feeling I'll enjoy it a lot more once I give my kids their christmas presents of two pokemon 3ds' with copies of the game, because then I'm going to beat the living piss out of them at their favorite game and laugh my ass off while I do it.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
My eyes hurt so much from staring at the screen today. This game hooks you up with strong pokemon quickly. I don't understand a lot of the features like that soccer and punching bag shit. Is that like a replacement for calcium and iron? You just train like a boss?

Sean_sl

shitlord
I kinda really want this but I know I should wait until Black Friday to buy a 3DS XL. Also I'd have to cancel my Watch Dogs and Black Flag CEs to pick it up before then.

Argh.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh - I know the feeling - debating it, but after the wife's PC replacement I'd have to tap into my investments to get it, so just gonna have to wait... next month is my birthday so probably get enough gift cards and such to make it cost next to nothing anyhow though.

Fadaar

That guy
Had no intention of picking it up but a friend dragged me along to Gamestop today when he bought his 3DS and X... so I got a 3DS and Y. Been meaning to get one for a long time, guess now is as good a time as any. This is also the first Pokemon game I've bought/played since the original Red/Blue came out back in what... 1998? Think I was in 7th grade then.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just caved and bought this. Pokemon 3DS XL + Pokemon Y should be waiting for me at Best Buy in the morning. I'm eagerly awaiting the neck and eye strain from staring at a DS again.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Alright folks, I'm going to suggest, if you feel like the battery life on your 3ds or 3ds xl is shitty (because it super is) this replacement battery. It is pricey (100 dollars, BUT thats with FREE shipping from Hong Kong which costs about 30 bucks so that helped me justify the purchase) but it is a killer replacement battery.

[HLI-3DSLL] Buy Mugen Power 5800mAh Extended Battery for Nintendo 3DS LL and Nintendo 3DS XL with Battery Door

They're in extremely high demand, but if you order now it'll ship on the 23rd of this month. They say 10 to 15 days shipping, I got mine in about 8 days.

Now, yes, its pricey. But the regular 3dsxl battery lasts a whole measely 6 hours before it has to be recharged, thats with the screen light turned way down and 3d turned off, and it can only be recharged about 500 times before its worn out. This Mugen battery last between 12 and 16 hours, 10.5 hours if you have literally everything turned on, wifi, 3d and screen brightness maxed. You can go from recharging twice a day to once a week with this sucker. The Mugen batteries aren't some cheap cop out, either. They have the lowest return rate in the industry, they produce 3rd party batteries for all sorts of portable devices.

Here's some review action on the thing.

Hardware Review: Mugen 3DS XL Battery Replacement Grants 20 Hours Of Staying Power - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life

The one I'm linking is for the 3ds xl, but they also have one for the 3ds.

Now, the other minor downside besides price is that it does make the system a bit thicker. I don't personally think it makes it unweildy or no longer portable, but it is a bit thicker than stock. Probably twice as thick. The battery comes with a special back to replace your regular 3dsxl back, and you can pick the color so it matches your 3dsxl.

I bought one to try out because I'm buying my kids 3ds' for Christmas and they will fucking annihilate that tiny little battery that comes with the system in no time. They'll play that shit obsessively and recharge it two and three times a day on the weekends and so I wanted an alternative. So, I bought one of these batteries to test out how the shipping worked, how the batteries performed, etc. before going all in on two more for the kids.

I got the battery Friday in the mail (took about 8 days total once shipped from Hong Kong to my front door). It was about halfway charged out of the package. I plugged it in and charged it up overnight (because the battery is much larger, it does take more time to fully charge, between 8 and 12 hours the first time but, after the first 4-5 cycles probably closer to 8) and then I had the system turned on literally all day yesterday, from about 1100 am all the way to midnight before the system started flashing warning me the battery was low. That's how good these batteries are compared to the stock battery that comes with the system. It basically turns your 3ds battery life into a battery life very similar to an Ipad, which has an amazingly long battery life.

So anyway, if you're looking for a good 3rd party battery solution from your 3ds or 3ds xl, this Mugen battery is the way to go. High quality, long life, few downsides.

added: one quick point. The thicker 3dsxl case with the extended battery goes a long way to relieve that claw grip cramping you get in your hands trying to hold onto that tiny sliver of a game system. May not be a big problem to some, but playing the 3dsxl cramps the shit out of my hand after a bit, but the extended battery size gives the system a bit of a meatier feel, a heft to it, and it rests much more nicely in the hand, and no cramping. Really a big plus.

Added2: Just one more thing. From that video link above, some battery life test results (this is with EVERYTHING turned on and maxed, screen brightness, wifi and 3d)

We test the 3DS XL Mugen Battery expansion in a live test with other DS, 3DS, and 3DS, XL consoles. Review of the Mugen 3DS and 3DS XL battery:

The results of the battery test are:

3DS XL (Mugen Battery) 10hrs 32mins
3DS (Mugen Battery) 10hrs 15mins
DS XL 4hrs 55mins
DS Lite 3hrs 45mins
3DS XL 3hrs 40mins
DSi 3hrs 10mins
3DS 2hrs 45mins
Most people don't play with 3d on at all, which will significant extend the battery life either way, but as you can see, even with it turned on maxed out, the Mugen battery gets 7 HOURS more life than the 3ds xl stock batteries will. Its a big difference. Especially if you're playing all those JRPGs like SMT4, Pokemon, etc.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
My eyes hurt so much from staring at the screen today. This game hooks you up with strong pokemon quickly. I don't understand a lot of the features like that soccer and punching bag shit. Is that like a replacement for calcium and iron? You just train like a boss?
The Super Training is a replacement/supplement for EV (effort value) training - it's hard to explain but basically they are hidden values (although you can see them during Super Training now) that cap out at 510 with 255 the max in one stat. Then they are divided by 4 I think and that number is added to the Pokemon's stat total (which means you'd never want to raise a single EV past 252 because 255 doesn't divide by 4). So say you train your pokemon to have these EVs - 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Hitpoints - at level 100 your pokemon would get an added 63 Attack/63 Speed/1 Hitpoint added to their stat totals.

Before Super Training, you had to train your pokemon's EVs by killing other certain pokemon that awarded EVs that you wanted. For instance, killing an Abra gives 3 Special Attack EVs. So in a normal game your pokemon is getting random EVs from the pokemon you kill, but it may have a bunch of EVs in stats that don't matter for that particular pokemon - like Special Attack for a Physical attacking pokemon. Honestly it doesn't really matter unless you are battling competitively and want your pokemon to be the absolute min max'd possible.

Effort values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Now with Super Training, you can train your pokemon for the exact EVs you want without battling in the overworld and it also gives an easy way to reset EVs for pokemon.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
First Pokemon game iv played since Red/Blue. They are definitely going after nostalgia by giving you the original starter Pokemon near the beginning.