The Robots are Coming (DoD to replace one fourth of soldiers with bots by 2030)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There is some poor Serbian locked inside that unmanned vehicle.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Something like half of all jobs are supposed to be automated or replaced by robots by 2030. It will be interesting to see that how we as a society deal with the limited amount of jobs available.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Something like half of all jobs are supposed to be automated or replaced by robots by 2030. It will be interesting to see that how we as a society deal with the limited amount of jobs available.
As someone who works in robotics this is pure bullshit.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, I could kinda see it, even if I think it's alarmist and wrong. You might say, "How do you automate a waitress?"

And then you should go to a Wal-Mart self-checkout line.

The trend is to increasing automation. Tax laws which encourage the manufacture and purchase of new hardware over the maintenance of workers don't help that trend a lot. When it's cheaper to buy a new machine than it is to hire and train a new worker... well.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not even that I think the trend to automation is a bad thing. On the whole I think it's a very good thing. But I do think that it's causing forseeable consequences in our society (already) which we'd rather ignore than plan for. As the tools get more powerful and intricate, the consequences of the choice will become more severe as well.

iannis

Musty Nester
Bush talked about it with his whole "Information Economy" thing. I never understood what he actually fucking meant by that.

As it turns out, neither did he. But at least he recognized the political nature of the problem that's brewing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
chart-of-the-day-robots-taking-jobs.jpg

The Future Of Jobs: The Onrushing Wave - Business Insider
Would love to see a chart for the total number and % of workforce that is a accountant, tech writer, machinist, commercial pilot, actor and firefighter. There's no fundamental changes to automation that I expect in the next twenty years to dramatically increase the ability to automate those jobs (Though improved tech will continue to make those more automatable), so if 94% of the accountant jobs are going away I'd expect the current trend to show that.

iannis

Musty Nester
89% technical writers.

Tuco.

Tuco.

ARE YOU MAKING SELF AWARE MACHINES? DO THE WORDS "SKY NET" MEAN NOTHING TO YOU?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Robots Taking Jobs From Every Sector of the Economy

There's links to a bunch of articles that this article references at the bottom of the page

Increasingly sophisticated scheduling software has eliminated the need for many office assistants and secretaries; Labor Department statistics show a loss of 1.1 million such jobs in the decade between 2000 and 2010.

Other job categories were hit just as hard. The number of bookkeepers fell 26%, word processors and typists, 63%; travel agents, 46%; and telephone operators, 64%.

Online services like banking have wiped out many teller jobs; self-service checkout lanes have whittled away at cashier jobs.

Utilities have installed smart meters that eliminate the need for meter readers.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's kinda bullshit though. I can tell you, automated HR software is bullshit. It honestly is horrible. If you've ever had to deal with actual people and writing an actual schedule you should realize that while it is not difficult, there is a trick to it, and it is more a matter of art than science.

They're saving money by not hiring these people, but they're losing effectiveness and productivity with the terrible terrible bullshit schedules that a make sense to an algorithm. That solution is undeniably cheaper, but it significantly impacts the quality of service.

And to make matters even worse, it validates a sort of laziness among those doing the jobs who aren't replaced.

This is the sort of problem I'm talking about when it comes to automation. There are good implementations, and there are self defeating implementations. It doesn't HAVE to get better. But because the automationischeaper, it allows bad work to exist for that much longer. It even allows it to propagate.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
No way auditors are getting replaced by software. The whole point of auditing is having judgment and rendering an opinion. (auditor here)

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
you'd still have supervisors to look over the results , but I imagine the grunt work in nearly any paper pushing job is vulnerable to automation.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Time for pro-human politics. Business owners should be in big trouble if they don't hire at least 1 human per robot.

bigtrouble

agripa

Molten Core Raider
you'd still have supervisors to look over the results , but I imagine the grunt work in nearly any paper pushing job is vulnerable to automation.
I imagine it will displace enough workers to threaten social unrest in some countries.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No way auditors are getting replaced by software. The whole point of auditing is having judgment and rendering an opinion. (auditor here)
It's not replacement, it's efficiency leading to reduced hours. Voice recognition software for auditing calls, for instance, is already here. It provides a list of exceptions for an auditor to listen to and all recognized phrases in a call flow are categorized as within acceptable parameters and given in a report. So instead of spending 30 minutes reviewing a call, you spend 8 seconds listening to a segment the computer didn't catch and log it in a report with a bunch of check boxes that was already generated.

Fyro

Golden Squire
While we are at it, not technically robots, but the teachers of the 21st century are being phased into online classes. A fucking machine can do the grading. It's staggering the amount of kids that learn through online classes, without any interaction with a teacher.

As a teacher I see the benefits and the many downfalls. Especially the downfalls of online only classes for minors that don't have the initiative of a fucking sloth.