The Sci-Fi Book Thread

Discussion in 'Book House' started by Intrinsic, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Mudcrush Durtfeet Active Member

Mudcrush Durtfeet
    Ratings:
    +68
    Last book is a big let down really. No answers for the interesting mysteries.

2. Evernothing Well-Known Member

Evernothing
    Ratings:
    +529
  3. Ukerric Bearded Ape DONOR

Ukerric
    Ratings:
    +178
    About 4 times a year, I delve in indy writing, and I usually end up disappointed, but my Q1 foray was not.

Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon book 1) goes into a setting that I absolutely adore: the Dungeon Keeper type games. It's basically Dungeon Keeper, told from the twin perspectives of the Dungeon Heart and one of the adventurers that go daily in it. It embraces completely all the tropes of the DK and CRPG genre with gusto (the "tutorial wisp" telling the DK that no, the dungeon monsters have to be called "mobs", the keeper that only gets an "X" when he tries to discern the level of adventurers more than 3 ranks above it, the local chef telling the adventuring party that getting the mint and garlic that grow at the entrance of the dungeon "is now a daily quest"). It's complete with a goofy leveling system for adventurers (called "cultivators", because they "cultivate their quintessence").

It shouldn't work, but it does somehow. There's some writing problems, notably with Dale (the adventurer) whose persona isn't consistent, and Dani which is too cartoonishly the girlfriend and completely underused. Ignoring completely abilities is also a disappointing plot hole, but I think it's a deliberate choice of the author because he is extremely self-conscious about the tropes he uses.

I can recognize enough of my bias to avoid giving it a warm recommendation, so a cautious one if you have an ebook reader.

Now, waiting for book 2, tentatively scheduled for next month. I wonder what Cal is going to do now that his dungeon includes cats in addition to bunnies. And how it's going to end up with this:

15823120_1640717962889329_8171045388352275708_n.jpg

(probably inaccurate. I mean, there's now displacer cats available to kill that mini-rex instead of elemental bunnies with Avenger affix)