The Sci-Fi Book Thread

nxoc0.jpg

moseby_sl

shitlord
Excellent SciFi reads

Dan Simmons - Hyperion series, Illium, and Olympos. The best Sci FI you will ever read hands down.
Orson Scott Card, Enders Game. The others in the series, and the Bean series are good books, however it is like comparing Dune to its Sequels, they all pale in comparison.
Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers
Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies. Market Forces and Black Man were ok books
Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light, this is perhaps one of the best books of all times, and is on par with the likes of Hyperion as far as quality of the read.
Peter F hamilton - The Commonwealth Saga (excellent space opera), Fallen Dragon, The Night's Dawn series are all reasonably good books.
Hannu Rajaniemi - The Quantum Thief
Larry Niven - A Mote in God's Eye, and to a less extent The Gripping hand. The ringworld series are also good.
Herbert - Dune, skip the other books, none of them even remotely compare.
John Scalzi - Old Mans War is excellent the rest of the seriers are ok.

There is one series with a good amount of space combat, but it' name fails me. I will put it in here once I remember.

If you Like Halo read Greg Bear - Cryptum

fresh

<Gold Donor>
The first two books from the void series by Hamilton, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained are both really good. I thought that the last three got increasing dull. The fantasy stuff was just super dull. I do however, want to be like Gore Burnelli when I grow up.

I am currently reading Alastair Reynolds new one, Blue Remembered Earth. It is very different than everything else I've read by him, and not really in a good way. Its more about family politics than spaceships.

Fiddler

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hamilton's Great North Road ended up being pretty good, especially after how drawn out the Pandora's star series got to be. I just got finished reading In Fury Born by David Weber, pretty decent pulp Sci-fi and a good stand alone if you don't have the time to read his Safehold or Honor Harrington series.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Currently reading Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis for a sci-fi literature class. It's different, somewhat slow, and in a WWII context which sounds abhorrent to me by definition. But it's actually pretty decent. I like her writing style, and she's extremely adept at portraying anxiety, for what that's worth.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Currently reading Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis for a sci-fi literature class. It's different, somewhat slow, and in a WWII context which sounds abhorrent to me by definition. But it's actually pretty decent. I like her writing style, and she's extremely adept at portraying anxiety, for what that's worth.
I liked those, but they are very drawn out. If you liked them, you should try 'The Doomsday Book' by the same author - IMO that one is her best.

T-rex_sl

shitlord
Herbert - Dune, skip the other books, none of them even remotely compare.
Do you mean the just the book or the whole series? For the sake of clarity, Dune, Dune Messiah, and God Emperor of Dune are great. Children of Dune must be read for the benefit of God Emperor but it is worth it.

Frank Herbert has many more worthwhile reads. I particularly liked the Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment duo and The Santaroga Barrier.

moseby_sl

shitlord
Do you mean the just the book or the whole series? For the sake of clarity, Dune, Dune Messiah, and God Emperor of Dune are great. Children of Dune must be read for the benefit of God Emperor but it is worth it.

Frank Herbert has many more worthwhile reads. I particularly liked the Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment duo and The Santaroga Barrier.
I meant read dune, and skip the rest, all of them sequels/prequels unless you are very bored, and have alot time to kill.

Another really good read is The Parafaith War by L. E. Modesitt, Jr, there are a couple of other books that tie into the same time line as this book, but you would be hard pressed to call them a sequel.

Vinkus

Golden Knight of the Realm
Otherworld by Tad Williams is the best cyberpunk I've ever read. Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson is solid, but it's harder to find a sympathetic character.

T-rex_sl

shitlord
I haven't read anything by Tad Williams, but I'll probably pick those up if I see them anywhere.

My favorite "cyberpunk" novel is definitely Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling. There are also a few short stories in the same universe which are equally good, and there is a publication (Schismatrix Plus I think) that comes with the novel and the short stories.

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ditto on the previously mentioned Armor and The Gap.

Someone mentioned Space battles and I'd suggest David Feintuch's Seafort Saga books. Basically Horatio Hornblower in space, though a bit of warning, the books can get kind of depressing, as the protagonist is regularly kicked in the balls and stomped in the face, though he absolutely never gives up. Kind of like a Captain America in a space ship.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I read all four books it has to be 3,000+ pages. Those books are LONG and could have used some substantial editing. Good but LONNNGGGGGGG.
This. So much this. I made it about 3/4 of the way through the second book and just gave up. Awesome story/setting and cool characters, but sorely in need of a better editor.