The Shining (1980)

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Shining (1980)

Tagline: He came as the caretaker, but this hotel had its own guardians - who'd been there a long time

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Cast: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Scatman Crothers, Danny Lloyd, Barry Nelson, Joe Turkel, Anne Jackson, Barry Dennen, Tony Burton, Philip Stone, Lia Beldam, Billie Gibson, David Baxt, Manning Redwood, Lisa Burns, Louise Burns, Robin Pappas, Alison Coleridge, Burnell Tucker, Jana Shelden, Kate Phelps, Norman Gay, Paul Desbois, Vivian Kubrick, Derek Lyons, Alan Harris, Peter McNamara, Guy Standeven, Reg Thomason

Release: 1980-05-23

Runtime: 144

Plot: Jack Torrance accepts a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel, where he, along with his wife Wendy and their son Danny, must live isolated from the rest of the world for the winter. But they aren't prepared for the madness that lurks within.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Environmental storytelling before 3rd gen, 16 and 64 bit video games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you want to go down a rabbit hole of crazy (and not so crazy) Shining + Kubrick theories LOOK NO FURTHER

It's slow and awkward at times and some of the people are probably just crazy but it's full of really neat bits including a host of the visual gags and oddities Kubrick included in the film.

jack playgirl.png
playgirl cover shrunk.JPG

Damn Torrence, maybe don't show up to your first day of work with a copy of Playgirl?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there are so many rabbit holes that this movie opens up. lots of different theories about certain things on youtube. Rob Ager does a few. Stephen King hated this movie so much he directed his own which was a massive piece of shit even though it was a much closer adaption. its a really good movie. the intro (from Berlioz?) sets the tone perfectly.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
One of my favorites from my favorite director. If you haven’t bought this yet you are missing out.

The Shining (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital)
One of the few movies far better than the book.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definitely one of those rare instances where a film strays widely from the book it's adapted from, but both the film and the book are fantastic. I've been to the hotel the book was based on several times. Very cool experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
there are so many rabbit holes that this movie opens up. lots of different theories about certain things on youtube. Rob Ager does a few. Stephen King hated this movie so much he directed his own which was a massive piece of shit even though it was a much closer adaption. its a really good movie. the intro (from Berlioz?) sets the tone perfectly.

Agree that the opening credits scene for this movie is perfect and easily one of the most haunting I've seen. Think your link is broken, here's a working version:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Agree that the opening credits scene for this movie is perfect and easily one of the most haunting I've seen. Think your link is broken, here's a working version:

nah, link is fine, you just have to play it on youtube. its a slightly better quality clip.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
ahh heres a nice little rabbit hole.
hpwd he do it?

but wendy could see the ghosts without any mirrors, and danny too? does he explain dannys scratches as self-inflicted? danny and dick still had the supernatural premonition/telepathy ability, so there were clearly supernatural things going on in the movie regardless of kubrick's belief.

I'd say the book still had the better and more relatable premise regarding jack's alcoholism being the main weakness making him a monster, not the cabin fever/stress element in movie.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Does he explain dannys scratches as self-inflicted?

Danny is a victim of sexual abuse

While I still prefer the film as a haunted house story I do find this video's argument that Kubrick inserted an under-theme of Jack sexually abusing Danny to be convincing.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
but wendy could see the ghosts without any mirrors, and danny too? does he explain dannys scratches as self-inflicted? danny and dick still had the supernatural premonition/telepathy ability, so there were clearly supernatural things going on in the movie regardless of kubrick's belief.

I'd say the book still had the better and more relatable premise regarding jack's alcoholism being the main weakness making him a monster, not the cabin fever/stress element in movie.
the ghosts could very well be there, but if they could open the door for Jack, then why would they need to rely on him to kill everyone?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
in the book it's more that the ghosts are weak when not around danny, the main thing they try is possessing people.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I've seen this movie once as an early teen, maybe I was 12 or 13 . . . something like that.

It scared and creeped the hell out of me. The next morning I woke up being horrifically sick, vomiting and just wiped out. It was like the film had that strong an effect on me.

I haven't seen it again.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I've not seen Room 237, heard of it recently and it sounds dumb and boring. Heard about the Rob Ager stuff quite a while ago. Ager's stuff regarding set design is interesting. Going to watch Vivian Kubrick's making of soon and shit.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
One of the best horror movies out there. Seeing the real Stanley when I was in Estes Park was also fun. Wifey and I were engaged to be married and not married yet when we were offered to stay in Room 217. For $499 for the night. lol. Nope. (We had an RV parked at the KOA). But rumor has it it's an old school ghost that doesn't like non married people sleeping together and will jack all your stuff up in there.

We did the ghost tour and heard of some of the history. Good times.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database