The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

Leon

<Silver Donator>

That scene to me closed out the Marlo chapter perfectly.

Marlo wanted the recognition. My name is my name!. But out on the streets he's already no one after taking a low profile for a little bit.
Meanwhile the corner boys are talking stories on how Omar went down surrounded by 8 or 9 guys for his final stand.

It's a close call too, a gun and a knife, and he didn't even see the knife until the end. The game is passing him by like it passed by many of the others before him.

But his face after the scene, and the fact he just left the reception early, shows he belongs there. His fate will most likely be a tragic death, but he didn't want to take the stringer approach and get out of the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
How does it feel to be so wrong? I think you are remember JFC and not Deadwood. The dialog was the best part of the show.

For sure. I've watched all 3 seasons a handful of times and I can't really recall a time when I thought the dialog dipped from stellar.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.

I've thought about that quote many times

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't get a chance to watch this show while it was originally on. Wife and I started watching through all the seasons a while ago. Just got started on Season 3.

I have to say though, Season 2 was a huge letdown after Season 1.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The change is most jarring from season 1 to 2. The fall of Frank Sobotka, though... hot damn.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
After you finish S01 all you want is more of the same. When they switch gears in S02, it jars you a little bit and causes you to miss how great a season it is in and of itself. I agree, it does take some reflection to realize the genius of S02.

iannis

Musty Nester
S2 is jarring the first watch. But you do come to appreciate it.

There's almost no better way to announce, "hey derps, none of this happens in a vacuum"

Although I still think the iggy character went a bit far into caricature territory. But then again, dumb white trash does dumb shit by definition. So I guess it's believable within the context of the season and show.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2 on first watch was a instant favorite season for me. Grew up around baltimore, and white and the story just slammed right home in the feels.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not really sure why everyone says that S02 was jarring. It started to show who was pulling the strings and how.

How exactly is delving deeper into the inner workings of the plot "jarring"?

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I'm not really sure why everyone says that S02 was jarring. It started to show who was pulling the strings and how.

"There are white people in Baltimore?"

It's a jarring realization bro.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider

Because s2 is almost a different show at first. Nothing to do with plot.

I liked that Simon said fuck you to everyone by starting a new arc.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It wasn't a new arc and it had everything to do with the plot.

He wasn't saying fuck you. You was telling a complete story.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
We're talking about two different things. Yes, the entirety of the Wire is one story. The plot.

When you first start watching s2 and the opening credits are different, the song is different, there's brand new characters, so on. That's what I was getting at.

Making a drastic change from what is expected during the second season of a new TV show. I liked it.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Also remember, season 2 was 2003? ish...not as much social media presence as today.

Going a full year off then having the story shift was "different" at least, and I could see how it would jar some people.
It just hadn't really been done like that, and it's hard to remember (for me at least) how I felt at the time now that I can binge watch them so quickly together.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Khane's right, though. I worded it wrong. It wasn't a new arc, 'shifting to the docks' is more accurate.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The streets
The docks
The stats
The schools
The news

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user