Things that grind your gears about shows/movies

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well most machine guns arent going to be accurate at the range, but in TV shows where the people are less then 50 yards away running from 15 guys loaded with fully auto weapons... Arrow is fucking terrible with this

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It rustles my jimmies when the cop show I'm watching isn't The Wire.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Can't stand movies where some big movie badass is put into some ridiculous role having to deal with kids or babies in some way and making themselves look like complete retards.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
It makes me sad that the article lists Terriers as one of his failures when it fits that mold and out of all the shows mentioned, makes the best use of individual episodes to continue the overarching plot.
Yeah I have no idea why FX cancelled that show. Maybe the network president owns a spaniel?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I have no idea why FX cancelled that show. Maybe the network president owns a spaniel?
Giving creative people money to do creative things only goes so far, eventually SOMEONE has to watch the show for it to stick around. A 0.3 rating and 750k viewers just won't work for an hour long drama, no matter how good it is. If it's any consolation Landgraf and FX made the unprecedented move ofexplaining the cancellationof the show to media people. There's also been rumors of Netflix picking it up, but those pop up for every cancelled show that was critically acclaimed.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well Arrested Development is coming back a long with a Party Down movie$$ now all I need is for Better off Ted to get picked up

Teger_sl

shitlord
the premise of land of the dead. why is john leguizamo trying to blackmail fiddler's green for MONEY? if he wanted money, couldn't he just take his tank and go to a fucking bank? where is he going to spend his money?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
When the bad guys are do everything right but when the finally capture the good guy they don't immediately put a bullet (or 12) into his head. They have some high tech underground cave fortress that everyone knows about and can get into/out of.

When they put their "secure" computer systems on the network and don't even get me started on these super hackers.

Car explosions. 'nuff said.

A hero (generally female) who gets trapped, knocked out, captured or beat up all-the-fucking-time. You think they would have started taking some precautions or something...

Melee fights. WTF is this WWE shit where they get back up and continue fighting? Shrugging off kidney shots like it isn't shit and showing fighting skills like the 3rd shojin master of high mountain white snow. Get hit over the head with a brick and get back up..

Total inability to get fantasy right... Succubus that are good/evil? And friendly with FAE? WTF? 30,000 year old vampires that act like teenagers. I have seen 30 years and no way could I ever act like I did when I was 18 again. After thousands of years I can't imagine anything happening on the teenage level being worth thinking about.

Beauty and the not-remotely-close-to-ugly beast.

When the good guys unhesitatingly kill entire battalions of bad guys but when they get to the leader they can't kill him because he has to face a trial.

Bad guys always have to confront good guys in person. I will never understand this.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Oh another thing that really bugs me are impossible technologies. In particular how "zooming" in on something somehow reveals information that would be impossible for the device to capture. Like a satellite zooming in on a license plate but that zoomed in view is from an entirely different angle.

Caliane

Yea, there was a wave of huge story arc type shows when Lost made it big, but many of them failed so they returned to the episode stands alone model which was common before. They do this because a lot of people don't follow a show week to week, and have trouble remembering the details of the prior week. But they more commonly weave in a vaguely dire story arc now than they did before because of the success of shows like Lost in providing a mystery that isn't resolved to keep certain people returning to the show.

At least that's the gist of an article I read a while back. Lost isn't really the genesis of any of this, it was just a milestone in market success that inspired copycats.
yeah. I tried to get into Justified at some point. but was late to the party. And it was impossible to watch, just picking up from a new episode. no idea who anyone was, why anyone was doing anything. I would have had to go back and watch it from the start.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah. I tried to get into Justified at some point. but was late to the party. And it was impossible to watch, just picking up from a new episode. no idea who anyone was, why anyone was doing anything.I would have had to go back and watch it from the start.
So do that. Totally worth it.

That aside, are a lot of people in the habit of jumping in to dramas halfway through and not catching up? I can't even imagine doing that, if I like an hour long show or am even somewhat intrigued I'm gonna jump in with both feet.

Caliane

Oh another thing that really bugs me are impossible technologies. In particular how "zooming" in on something somehow reveals information that would be impossible for the device to capture. Like a satellite zooming in on a license plate but that zoomed in view is from an entirely different angle.

Caliane

So do that. Totally worth it.

That aside, are a lot of people in the habit of jumping in to dramas halfway through and not catching up? I can't even imagine doing that, if I like an hour long show or am even somewhat intrigued I'm gonna jump in with both feet.
you can do it with many.
BSG definitely was more like season 2, and went back and watched season1 later.

Heck, even Lost. I started that end of Season1, or possibly even was season2.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i always loved those TV shows where a computer software's use of "enhance" can turn a low res CCTV image into a 1080p rez image with infinite zooming in and clearly shows the information they needed to know.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
The way TV writers always write their characters as fans of/obsessed with/constantly referencing shows that the writer watched in their youth, instead of shows the character would have watched in their youth. It made sense for JD & Turk in Scrubs to be obsessed with 80's sitcoms, since they grew up in the 80's, but why is Abed in Community, a decade later, obsessed with shows from the same time period, when he would have grown up in the 90's and early 00's? It's short sighted and lazy writing, and it makes the characters and the show feel anachronistic.