Time to bail on Adblock?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Adblock (Plus) got sold, and yesterday there was an announcement of a new "limited ads program", where they are going to allow only non-invasive ads. Which, to be honest, I'm kind of fine with? I'm fine with sites making some money over non-invasive banners and other things, but any pop ups or autoplays with sound and nope, fuck you. However, not really comfortable with an unkown gateway keeper who gets to decide that (But I might be too paranoid.). Anyway, not get all excited yet, but thinking of swapping toUblock Origin.(Make sure you get the origin version, the Ublock isn't really supported anymore, some fiasco with the developers splitting.)

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I think they've always allowed some advertising. I know in the options on my Chrome version there is a check box to allow "some non intrusive advertisements". I saw this yesterday and figured I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts getting stupid I'll start looking for a replacement.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I've been using ublock for a while now. Works great. Blocks everything and no messing with lists or "non-invasive" ads. The allowing of some ads has been in ABP for a good while now.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Either best or worst business decision ever.
Oh for the guy who made it? Best choice. For the company who bought it? It really depends how much they push the envelope. Consumers are pretty complacent with products that are cheap and work well, even if they are clearly inferior to other products that are even cheaper. Heck, sometimes consumers will continue to use something simply out of ignorance; AOL still makes millions each year because people maintain the dial up service while they have cable/Fiber ISPs, and this is quite a large number of people (To be fair, older folks.)...In any case, as long as its not broke, most people won't fix it--brand loyalty for "thoughtless" consumption issuper, superstrong.

As long as they don't kill the golden goose with stupidity, the Ad agency who bought it has access to millions and millions of users with who will stick with it due to complacent brand loyalty. That's potential access to huge revenue generation.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been using ublock for a while now. Works great. Blocks everything and no messing with lists or "non-invasive" ads. The allowing of some ads has been in ABP for a good while now.
I'm also using uBlock Origin. Working great so far.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am all for this helping the ad providers tone down their ads if that is what it leads to. It's like a reverse arms race. They are now going to try to be as non-intrusive as possible yet still get you to click them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
FYI adblock has an option: "Allow some non-intrusive advertising"

You can just disable it...

for now...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ad blocking arms race I guess. Everyone got up in arms that apple allowed ad blockers in the ap store. A guy wrote one and put it on the ap store. In a few days it was in the top 10 of aps. He took it down and wrote about it because it was blocking ads on his own site. Duh.

I hope it stirs up internet advertising that is loud and obnoxious and has no bearing on anything I would ever buy. Some tech writers see it as the beginning of a new system. Like PC users have done it for years, apple does it and now we have to reinvent the internet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's a good idea. If everyone starts using adblockers they will just start serving the content as well as the ads from the ad servers and that will be the end of ad blockers. If you read shit on the internet you really shouldn't be blocking the ads that pay for it but I can see why people do once the ads get really obnoxious (pop-ups, autoplay videos, etc.). Of course some sites have that kind of shit as content as well (ESPN.com).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Instead of fixing it because more people block ads, they make ads more annoying and louder and pay off content providers. Someone needs to break the cycle.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I try to let ads through when I use a site frequently. I mostly have it because torrent/stream/whatever sites will often toss up windows. Pop-ups/unders and anything that autoplays sound are the worst. Banners don't bother me if they're silent. I've been fine with AB for quite a while. If I have any issues I'll look at that ublock.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I let a select few sites through before but now I say screw it, block them all. Dirty bastards trying to get their hands in everything.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
adblock, the one that got sold, is not the same as Adblock Plus. ABP is still solid.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I do have to say it might be confirmation bias but after the last couple days I feel like I see considerably less obtrusive ads on the few sites I go to on my ipad with chrome and no adblock installed.