Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Really good movie for my first 4DX experience. Enjoyed both the 4DX and the movie, wasn't sure what to expect exactly when I sat down and saw this, lol:

View attachment 414543

It even snowed in the theater at one point.

I did that for Shang Chi, never again lol

I can't imagine what it was like for this movie - did you pass out when he went mach g?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I must have missed it but my friend said they did bring up why they couldn't use the F-22 In the movie? Knowing plot somewhat last week was why I was curious since the 22 is maybe the fastest combat plane

Also Glenn Powell aka Hangman was perfect for The Iceman spot. Really thought there was going to be a lot of drama with Maverick and Rooster but it was more Rooster and Hangman like Maverick and Iceman in the original

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mandriana

I must have missed it but my friend said they did bring up why they couldn't use the F-22 In the movie? Knowing plot somewhat last week was why I was curious since the 22 is maybe the fastest combat plane

Also Glenn Powell aka Hangman was perfect for The Iceman spot. Really thought there was going to be a lot of drama with Maverick and Rooster but it was more Rooster and Hangman like Maverick and Iceman in the original
F-22 isn't a plane the navy uses. Would've been using the F-35 instead.

• 1Like

Homsar

I know it was already brought up a page back, but friend said they did bring it up in the film since it's much faster than the f-35

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Right, but Top Gun is a Navy school, the characters are Navy pilots, and the F-22 is an Air Force plane.

There's not really a way to do that.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed this movie, no real complaints.

Only minor complaint is that a lot of the shots were closeups or from the perspective of the plane's wingtip, which I thought didn't present how much footage came from physical planes. I guess I wish there were more wide shots of the dog fighting, but at the speeds they were going it'd probably be too small to pick out what was going on.

I kind of want to read from someone who knows the military whether the mission, as stated, is suited for this kind of approach. I imagine that the premise of the movie started with "we need some canyon / volcano flying and dogfights in F-14/F-18s in a situation we can't just dronestrike" and this is what they came up with, but I'm curious how realistic it is.[/quote]

Homsar

Right, but Top Gun is a Navy school, the characters are Navy pilots, and the F-22 is an Air Force plane.

There's not really a way to do that.
I get that, what I'm saying I heard they brought it up in the movie. I would assume Maverick knows how to fly the f-22

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
About halfway through this, I've enjoyed a lot of the recaps by some experienced pilots.

The mission is addressed (the high-G + laser pod + high G egress) as well Tuco Tuco - plausible and consisted of things they train for at Fallon.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Enjoyed this movie, no real complaints.

Only minor complaint is that a lot of the shots were closeups or from the perspective of the plane's wingtip, which I thought didn't present how much footage came from physical planes. I guess I wish there were more wide shots of the dog fighting, but at the speeds they were going it'd probably be too small to pick out what was going on.

I kind of want to read from someone who knows the military whether the mission, as stated, is suited for this kind of approach. I imagine that the premise of the movie started with "we need some canyon / volcano flying and dogfights in F-14/F-18s in a situation we can't just dronestrike" and this is what they came up with, but I'm curious how realistic it is.
Haven't seen the movie yet, but F/A-18 pilots (and others) definitely do fly through canyons to practice. The one near us when we were out there is called Star Wars canyon. Planes will fly from China Lake, Fallon, and Edwards to practice there. They'll fly as low as 200 ft off the ground, which is mental.

I think 2019 was when one crashed at the parking lot, too. Went too low into the turn, hit the wall underneath it, and burst into flames. Killed the pilot and burned a bunch of spectators. It's easy to see how it happens.

00bzg6l_bf5f4fe4709679447e0c993826ed0f4ac6f849e2.jpg

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is what a movie experience should be.

I caught myself hanging onto the chair arms with more grip than usual. That is as close as I get to being in the cockpit. What was odd is that I have a fear of heights that could have easily triggered in the movie but there was no thought towards that. The intensity of the movie negated any thoughts of height. The script was near perfect. The dialogue was better than the first movie. In fact, this movie either improved on, or maintained in quality every aspect from the first movie. The things I truly enjoyed.

1. The relevance of time that the movie portrayed masterfully. It felt like it had been 40 years later.
2. The flight scenes were incredible.
3. Character interaction felt genuine
4. Given this day and age of Hollywood, There was no bullshit forced agenda. I did not feel like Hollywood was pushing an agenda in this movie,=.
5. Val Kilmer. I was always a fan of his work. The situation was well handled.
6. As a teenager, a special shout out to my favorite plane, the F-14 and a Surprise bonus to my favorite Helicopter, the Mi-24.

This is a must watch in the theater. I will buy the eventual 4K Steel book special 2 movie set when it comes out, but this movie has to be enjoyed in a good theater.

I had one minor pet peeve. Having been in the Navy, I kind of wish as the movie faded out, they would have given thanks to the men and woman of the United States Armed Forces. They might have put it at the end but it should have been at the start of the credits.

10/10

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
You guys have talked me into seeing this. Going tomorrow. Can't wait. Tom Cruise is probably my favorite actor.

• 3Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry 36 years. Odd I swear I heard 40 years referenced in the movie and did not blink.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Sorry 36 years. Odd I swear I heard 40 years referenced in the movie and did not blink.

That wasn't what the wat was for lol

I wat...was curious how a movie shot 30 years later masterfully portrays that passing of time? You know the wrinkles on Tom cruise are real, not cgi?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The interaction between the first movie and the 2nd movie was well done. It was both passive and active and weaved together nicely. Also it helps that I was a teenager when the first movie came out, so my experience is biased around my own time.

• 2Like

Homsar

Not seeing this movie in theatre is a massive mistake, the sound of the jets was just incredible

• 3Like