Tribes of Midgard (diablo-like survival PS5/PC)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

This launches tomorrow and I've been seeing a lot about it but nothing on here. I am intrigued by the concept as a good action RPG is a fun time and I do think I'll enjoy some of the rogue-like aspects of the progression. Lord knows me and my buddies played the hell out of Risk of Rain 2 and that's loosely in the same genre. Seems to be seasonal type content as well:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

it hit my radar of survival base builders, as I look for the "perfect" one. but, hadn't looked too closely at it.

heres ACG's review. a bit mixed.

$20 price tag btw. and has micro transactions

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know if theres random matchmaking? The 10 man servers sound cool but I lack the friends...

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, there's matchmaking. I've enjoyed a lot of what I've seen on streams today. Bikeman and Silentsentry playing now (well past their sponsored segment).

During their sponsored segment they played with a couple others. Afterwards Bikeman matchmaked into a fresh game with no other players, and when Sentry yolo'd into matchmaking it put him in Bikeman's game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Definitely been interested in this a while but wanting to see a few more opinions. Of course I say that but I'm sure I'll impulse buy it this evening like all the other shit I never finish on my PS5.

Caliane

watched a streamer for a bit. Decided to bite the bullet.

This is definitely interesting.

its sort of like a don't starve together. A more guided experience then I was expecting. dont starve, with a prefab base you need to defend, from nightly attacks.

I was doing solo queue.. planned match making sure would make it easier.
you do need to coordinate. everyone going their own way is a recipe to lose. almost need a dedicated, runner to get waypoints. dedicated jotun slayers. dedicated camp hitters. dedicated town upgraders.
And communication on what npcs, etc is getting souls. spending souls is important.

Its remarkably fast paced. not combat. i mean, Games are several hours. (or less on losses.)
only made it to day 7 so far, so not really sure what a "win" looks like or how long it would take. but this is a game, where you do it all in one sitting.
saga mode anyway. Survival may act more like a survival base builder as you think, or dont starve. playing a world for weeks/months.

Last edited:

Caliane

tips from limited play.

step 1. find land of pools biome. get silver. use silver to upgrade to t3 pick/axe. pick/axe upgrades increase durability, and souls collected per harvest. the second there, the most important.
step 2. fix quarry and woodworking shed.
step 3. find the jotun, ID its element.
step 4. target the mats needed for opposing element. material list in UI. can tell you where it can be found. linnurm-land of pools, unsunken-ash shore, unfrozen- frigid highlands, etc.
step 5. build archer/gates. and upgrade them.

Jotun have crazy hp. you need to hunt them down, not wait for them to arrive. elemetnal bonus damage helps alot. bringing extra weapons so you can keep attacking when one breaks..

ranger is better then fighter class.

Last edited:

Caliane

I'm not sure on this games long term. Short term was decently fun.

But, its a bit repetitive. And the grind for season rewards is kindof crazy. not sure how long a season is going to be.

Base game probably should be slightly easier. But then have larger, RNG elements that cause more craziness, that you need to react to on the fly. right now, theres no real unexpected events. the challenge is all laid out. the map is proc gen yes. but its not like theres unique biomes that only spawn sometimes, or anything.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Seasons seem like they are going to be 4 months, with a mid season patch 2 months in. The road map they released was September for Saga 1 midseason, then Saga 2 in November, with a midseason in January

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Been watching solo play with various classes and they seem to be trucking along no problem.

You guys just bad or are they excellent? =D

For $20 and having full controller support it looks like a purchase once I get through the ascent.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Been watching solo play with various classes and they seem to be trucking along no problem.

You guys just bad or are they excellent? =D

For $20 and having full controller support it looks like a purchase once I get through the ascent.
Be ready for horrible menu performance/controls. Shits all over the place. Rest of game runs pretty solid though with no control issues while actually playing.

Caliane

ok, so I haven't played this since those first few months. burned out on the grind/fast paced repetitive nature of the "saga" mode.
Just randomly read the patch notes for the most recent update, coming the 16th. Apparently a survival mode was added at some point.

and THIS 2.0 Survival mode update is going full on. house/town building, etc. I'll give it another look.

"Survival Mode
has been fully rebuilt from the ground up to transform it into a more relaxed but equally exciting
Tribes of Midgard
experience."

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Picked this up at launch then quickly put it down, no persistent base and characters sucked because of how long it took to get anything worth a shit. Is this solved with a new mode or something? Caliane Caliane

Caliane

Haven't tried it yet, but that seems to be the idea. to make "survival mode" act like a more classical survival building game like others.

old survival mode just acted like a variant on "saga" mode. which was the default roguelike thing.