True Detective

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah the characters and buildup in Season 3 were amazing. The payoff.... was something out of a bad law & order episode.

And that's with special help he hired from literally the who's who of FX greatest hits.

He had the best cop writers in the business just to get to that ending. The special team was brought in towards the end of S3 production.

This time Nick Pizza isn't involved beyond an exec producer credit in name only per his contract. Fully backseat, so we'll see what HBO can do with it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I actually kind of like the ending of season 3 because it was much less evil than it was leading up to be, which is what I expected given the first two seasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

1676501537327.png

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Season 1 was so good, but it had this supernatural feel to it and you were waiting for some big mindfuck about the spiral and shit

and then it never happened. All metaphorical bullshit. Not to say that made it worse, probably made it better, but man what a fucking tease.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Still can't be worse then season 2. I think season 2 felt so terrible because season 1 is so good.
S2 would never be considered "great", but if it came out first it would have been "pretty decent". Colin Farrell elevates that show as does Vince Vaughn to a lesser degree. Following S1, however, just destroys it.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
S2 would never be considered "great", but if it came out first it would have been "pretty decent". Colin Farrell elevates that show as does Vince Vaughn to a lesser degree. Following S1, however, just destroys it.

The performances in S2 were unfairly criticized. It was just a popular hatewagon at the time spearheaded by people like Quentin Tarantino who amplified the voice of hate for S2 tenfold.

Remove all the celebrity bashing of the season, and it's pretty decent and the tension was there.

Nick fucked the Episode 4,5,6 arc up really bad with one of the characters. It could have been a great season with the existing plot and cast it already had, and that's been widely acknowledged by critics at this point.

What happened at the time was Nick Pizza was too proud to bring in help. Season 3 he had his mea culpa statement and HBO head of programming confirmed Nick Pizza would not be handling all of the writing duties. He brought in some of the biggest names in cop drama to help out, and turned in a halfway decent arc.

It's still a shame to watch Season 2 knowing he had this glarring problem mid-season that he was too proud to solve.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The performances in S2 were unfairly criticized. It was just a popular hatewagon at the time spearheaded by people like Quentin Tarantino who amplified the voice of hate for S2 tenfold.

Remove all the celebrity bashing of the season, and it's pretty decent and the tension was there.

Nick fucked the Episode 4,5,6 arc up really bad with one of the characters. It could have been a great season with the existing plot and cast it already had, and that's been widely acknowledged by critics at this point.

What happened at the time was Nick Pizza was too proud to bring in help. Season 3 he had his mea culpa statement and HBO head of programming confirmed Nick Pizza would not be handling all of the writing duties. He brought in some of the biggest names in cop drama to help out, and turned in a halfway decent arc.

It's still a shame to watch Season 2 knowing he had this glarring problem mid-season that he was too proud to solve.
It's a shame because the plot of season two was a lot more interesting than three to me. That being said season 3 was obviously better over all.

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

let's not pretend season 2 didn't have some awful fucking dialogue... it's like blue balls in your heart.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah performance didn't have anything to do with it, the bar singer and the writing was so bad a billion dollar cast couldn't save it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tell that to the fivehead Tarantino who criticized Vince and Colin Farrel down to their wardrobes.

Szlia

I stand by my original take: in season 1 you have one character that is odd and speaks in a strange way and it works well, in season 2 everyone is odd ans speaks in a strange way and it does not work.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is there going to be a season 4 or you fucks just bumping this thread for no reason other to give everyone blue balls?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Season 4 starring Jodie Foster and some butch looking black lady comes out sometime this year allegedly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Season 4 starring Jodie Foster and some butch looking black lady comes out sometime this year allegedly.

And no Nick Pizza for the first time in the series history. Which is the only reason its bumpable after a mid passable season 3.

Season 4 turns over a new leaf entirely.

• 2Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Tell that to the fivehead Tarantino who criticized Vince and Colin Farrel down to their wardrobes.

I had no idea that Tarantino had even watched it, and wouldn't care if I had.

I still thought S2 was a crushing letdown, with ludicrous rambling dialogue that apparently no-one other than McConaughey could make sound profound rather than stupid.

It's ok to like stuff that other people don't - it doesn't mean there's some secret conspiracy behind why they are all wrong.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It wasn't that McConaughey made the campy dialogue sound profound, it was that Harrelson's character was there to say "Do you have a severe learning disability?" whenever he threw out a line like that. McConaughey did have better delivery and sold those lines a lot better but he sold that entire character better, and that weirdness and that dialogue was part of that whole package.

There was no Harrelson character in S2, it was all just characters delivering these cheesy lines with no straight man there to say "What is wrong with you?"

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL I remember when that first season was airing people were going nuts looking for hints and clues in the episodes. Hidden symbols, witchcraft, voodoo, reading into all sorts of other shit and all it ended up being is a simple murder mystery in the end. Eather way S1 was classic in my book simply because of McConoghay and Harrelson.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was no Harrelson character in S2, it was all just characters delivering these cheesy lines with no straight man there to say "What is wrong with you?"

I kinda liked what Farrell did with his character, but the other ones had shitty writing, bad lines and were ultimately boring. Vaughn character could have been awesome, but they tried too hard making him someone he wasn't meant to be.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like