Trumbo starring Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren

spronk

FPS noob

Never heard of this, about Dalton Trumbo who was blacklisted in the 1940s for being a suspect commie sympathizer. Also has Louis CK and the guy from Office Space/Justified and a bunch of other famous people. Release date Nov 2015 I guess? Probably limited release.

Bryan Cranston has already won an Emmy, Golden Globe, and Tony. Just needs an Oscar to EGOT out.

I thought this movie was gonna be about Jumbo or Trump
frown.png

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A movie about Hollywood, this thing has oscar written all over it. Can't wait.

Brad2770

That looks pretty damned good. I love things from that Era. Glad to see Michael Stuhlbarg.

Szlia

Saw it today in a film festival and I think it just got released in the US. The movie is solid with a great cast, it's entertaining and engaging from start to finish. I feel the movie is a bit at odds with its closing statement though (see spoiler below) and there is something that bothers me a little in the heterogeneity of the material: there is some archive footage of the era, and then there is also some fake archive footage, there is also some film clips, but also re-shot film clips, you have some actors that are look-alike (Kirk Douglas), some others that absolutely do not look like the person they portray (John Wayne), some are low key, but some are acted like in an SNL skit (Otto Preminger). Then you have the untouchable that are only in archive footage (Reagan, Kennedy, McCarthy) and, even more strangely, the invisible: Stanley Kubrick! These are minor reservations though.

The film closes by a late speech by Trumbo where he says basically that everyone was the victim of their time, but if the films gives redeeming qualities to some of the people who gave names to the investigators, chiefly the actor Edward G. Robinson, it does not do so with the anti-communist people (the exception being John Wayne). I am not sure that was the spirit of Trumbo's speech.