Twin Peaks

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Me and the BF are making our way through the first two seasons for the first time. At first i didn't know what i thought about it but it's just so weird and they're great at making you hate certain characters.

We made it to the end of Season 1. I was expecting something more from the S1 finale. Was pretty disappointed that after all that buildup, exactly what I thought was going to happen happened... Going to be awhile before we start season 2, if we do.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We made it to the end of Season 1. I was expecting something more from the S1 finale. Was pretty disappointed that after all that buildup, exactly what I thought was going to happen happened... Going to be awhile before we start season 2, if we do.

Well, i still wanna watch season 2. I figured there's 22 episodes to make up for the poor finale of season

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The backstory behind it is that Lynch was pressured by the network not to solve the Laura Palmer case, to stretch it out. So when season 1 ended, people felt pretty let down and there was a backlash. So the network pressured Lynch to make a decision in S2 that makes it feel disjointed. He was also not directing the beginning of S2, and he came back towards the end, you can tell when he came back.

I'm guessing Showtime is smart enough not to fuck around with Lynch so I don't think we will have too many of those kind of problems this go around.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why do networks gotta be so dumb? There's a reason we have directors, they're not always right either but c'mon.

Either way I'm really curious about the reboot, even if 15 episodes of s2 is crap it's gotta be watched.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm guessing Showtime is smart enough not to fuck around with Lynch so I don't think we will have too many of those kind of problems this go around.
Lynch was pretty pissed with how everything went down with the second season, so I'm sure he wouldn't have come back unless he was sure that shit wasn't going to happen again.

Very much looking forward to the new episodes. Season two was rough to start but picked up towards the end when Lynch re-gained control.

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah season 2 can probably be skimmed through, although the ending is insane. Really looking forward to what he does with total control this go around.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
But I hear it's like 15 episodes of crap :p
It is. If you liked s1 get ready for the finale. It will blow your fucking mind. The ending is... just watch it.

Yeah season 2 can probably be skimmed through, although the ending is insane. Really looking forward to what he does with total control this go around.
Lynch has only gotten stranger over the years. I expect this will be closer to Fire Walk With Me.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finished up rewatching the original series. I read through some people's interpretations of that final episode, and I differ on a few points. idk, I will have to watch Fire Walk With Me and The Missing Pieces to make a determination. I think that most of what happens in the other place isn't meant to be taken literally, or even figuratively. Like, people have this theory about time working differently in the other place so that's why things like the coffee freezing/becoming sludge happen. I don't think it is something meant for interpretation really, beyond the fact that this place is completely inhospitable.

Also, I always thought that when the giant says "one and the same" he was referring to himself and "the arm". It never occurred to me that he was talking about himself and his other self (the waiter). I'm still not sure which is right. I mean, of course the giant and the waiter are the same, that's obvious, but the framing makes it look like he is also talking about thearm.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So this Sunday, this is airing with a two hour premiere, and then according to it's Wikipedia we are also getting two additional episodes to stream on release. So after the early release of episodes 3 & 4, everything afterwards will air weekly starting June 4th.. All 18 shows in one go, ending in September. Apparently the exec's at Showtime loved the season, calling it "pure heroin". I suppose that's expected, but I am incredibly stoked for this.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I rewatched Fire Walk With Me last weekend. I still couldn't give you a brief, clear synopsis of what happens in that movie. The most likely scenario that I have seen put forth is that the first half is Cooper's dream.

I also started watching The Missing Pieces, but I just stopped. The mythology around the show is cool, but there comes a point where it's too much. And then you get to the really abstract things, like the planet made of creamed corn, and it's just too much. I get that it's supposed to be an abstract representation, but geez.

I'm pretty excited about the premier on Sunday even though I probably won't watch it until the following week.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm glad you mentioned Fire Walk With Me... Completely forgot to watch it. Fuck, I'm so behind on movies and TV shows.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watched Fire Walk with Me many years ago before I saw the series. It's a weird movie. I would have gotten up and left my friend's place 15 minutes in if I hadn't been too drunk to drive at the time. But halfway through the movie it really started to grab me. By the end I (and everyone else in the room) was just sitting there in stunned silence. I'm really glad I drink too much.

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
FWWM is pretty disjointed till they get to Laura and is mainly just a more in depth prequel, they never seemed to resolve Chris Isaac's FBI character just disappearing with the trailer but I see Harry Dean Stanton is in the new series so they may clear that up. Not to mention the whole ring sub plot, David Bowie's rambling about Cooper, and that whole security camera scene, some of it just might be Lynch being Lynch making surrealist stuff with no inherent meaning which he did a lot of.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I've heard the dream theories, including Deer Meadow as a grim shade of Twin Peaks, a shared dream between Laura and Cooper from within the Black Lodge. The rest of Fire Walk with Me is clearly Laura's backstory as intended. Lynch's nonlinearity makes it an indecipherable mess.

Haven't seen The Missing Pieces, had no idea about a creamed corn planet. What in the fuck. Somehow not surprised (garmonbozia shit).

Lynch films have got their internal logic, some sort of rhythmic language that is very simple. It's less coherent and more intuitive, much like dreaming. Don't approach it as unraveling a plot. Think I've sussed Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, a couple others. The one that breaks my brain is Lost Highway.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, after listening to him talk a lot and reading about his process, I realized that you can't map every piece of symbolism to a meaning. Sometimes it's just imagery, sometimes it's just meant to evoke a feeling, but sometimes it really does have meaning. If you go on the Internet, there are people who have dissected every scene of Twin Peaks looking for clues or something pointing to the mysteries, it gets pretty weird.

The only way that I can watch FWWM and have it make sense to me is if the first half was Cooper's dream, lots of foreshadowing and dopplegangers etc.

Especially now that I'm older, that movie is pretty powerful, at least the part that tells Laura's story. It's fucking unthinkable what happened to her, and for god knows how long, and she was so damaged and it just destroyed her.

• 1Like