Umbrella Revolution - Hong Kong Protests

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Clicked thread thinking there'd be zombies overrunning Hong Kong.

Disappointed.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They obviously don't know how to protest. You're supposed to loot and shoot cops and shit.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hong Kong Police Threaten 'Consequences'

The demonstrators have given Hong Kong chief executive CY Leung until the end of Thursday (local time) to step down or face a significant escalation in the standoff. Communist Party-run newspaper People's Daily warned of "unimaginable consequences" if activists ignored calls to go home.

iannis

Musty Nester
So this is an actual "Chin" pout?
900x900px-LL-2efa7844_South-Park-nice.jpeg

iannis

Musty Nester
From what I understand the leaders of the protest have already been clear that, should the army come out, no one is interested in a fight. They will disperse peacefully. The tianamen protesters fought.

But that's actually worse for the army than a fight.

I have no idea if that applies to the local police forces though. Those police forces are half the reason for the protests to begin with. It started with students protesting how bad their governor is, and escalated because of a heavyhanded response to an otherwise minor protest. Which means the students are probably right. Their governor is pretty crap. If he forces his bosses to send the army to clean up a local, easily handled, mess -- it doesn't seem like they'd reward him with keeping his job.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From what I understand the leaders of the protest have already been clear that, should the army come out, no one is interested in a fight. They will disperse peacefully. The tianamen protesters fought.

But that's actually worse for the army than a fight.

I have no idea if that applies to the local police forces though. Those police forces are half the reason for the protests to begin with. It started with students protesting how bad their governor is, and escalated because of a heavyhanded response to an otherwise minor protest. Which means the students are probably right. Their governor is pretty crap. If he forces his bosses to send the army to clean up a local, easily handled, mess -- it doesn't seem like they'd reward him with keeping his job.
My understanding was that they were supposed to have free and open elections in 2017 and now the central Chinese government is trying to limit it to only approved candidates. A bunch of young students started protesting this, then it escalated from there. The central figure in all of this is a 17 yr old kid who can't even vote. The whole thing is organized with a peer to peer network that doesn't touch the cell towers, so it's almost impossible (short of blocking frequencies) to stop them from communicating with each other. It'll be interesting to how this plays out, the most optimistic is that they allow open elections there that could act as template to opening up elections all over China, with the most negative being Hong Kong losing it's special status and losing all rights to vote.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, gonna be really interesting to see what the Communist Party leadership chooses to do. Do they let truly free elections happen in Hong Kong, possibly stirring up protests in the rest of China? Or do they clamp the fuck down and kill the golden goose that is Hong Kong, and cause a large chunk of the economy to flee because the rule of law and the like are no longer going to be respected.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2014/10/...es-and-dresses
Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung's daughter Chai Yan Leung made some very questionable comments on Facebook earlier today.

Seemingly responding to negative comments about a necklace she wears in her profile picture, she wrote:

This is actually a beautiful necklace bought at Lane Crawford (yes- funded by all you HK taxpayers!! So are all my beautiful shoes and dresses and clutches!! Thank you so much!!!!) Actually maybe I shouldn't say 'all you'- since most of you here are probably unemployed hence have all this time obsessed with bombarding me with messages.

iannis

Musty Nester
Imelda Marcos back from the dead?

You have to respect, "Shut the fuck up and sit down you disgusting poors". That sort of frankness is refreshing.

Northerner

N00b
As much as the media would like this to get interesting, it isn't going to. There's exactly zero chance of the central party blinking and everyone knows it.

HKers might get a few concessions and/or the local government might even get ganked by the mainland but no one is suddenly going to grant HK free open elections.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In order for Cantonese to live, Hong Kong must Prevail!

you must fight old Chinese lady

Szlia

The 'funny' part is that we are in 2014 and that democratic system for 2017 is supposed to be a part of the transitional '1 country 2 systems' running from the 1997 retrosession to 2047. That's 20 years of beating around the bush out of a possible 50.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I agree with Northerner. The beast that is Chinese political ideology isn't nearly weak enough to die from this. I think it is a philosophy that will find itself ultimately on the losing end of history, but by no means will it die in our lifetime. Though I suspect they will try not to over-react... by too much.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
seems like America funded it via ngo's to push to democratize (undermine chinese nationalism and totalitarianism) china

The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a U.S. non-profit soft power organization that was founded in 1983 to promote democracy. It is funded primarily through an annual allocation from the U.S. Congress, within the budget of USAID, the U.S. agency for development assistance, which is part of the U.S. State Department. Although administered as a private organization, its funding mostly comes from a governmental appropriation by Congress but was created by The Democracy Program as a bipartisan, private, non-profit corporation.

China
Democracy and human rights advocacy
Of the 28 Asian NGOs the NED funds, 18 are related to China. Most of these grants go to organizations promoting democracy, human rights, or in the case of Hong Kong, Xinjiang and Tibet, local interests against and independence from China. Democracy organizations funded by the NED that target China as a whole are Human Rights in China, the China Strategic Institute, and the Laogai Research Foundation. The NED also promotes the Republic of China as a "model of democratization"
China Accuses U.S. of Fomenting Hong Kong Unrest Washingtons Blog