Unconfirmed -- Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

So apparently target placeholders have been pretty reliable/accurate in the past and the reddit neckbeards are saying an announcement might be within the next couple days.

This dude goes into detail on if this is a legit thing.

Could be fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sulrn

Deuces
It was pointed out in another thread - Bethesda does not have the writing capacity to be able to do a ASoIF game justice. While I'm all for a darker elder scrolls lite game for modders to play with, I'm pretty sure that's all this ends up being if it's actually true.

The closest thing Skyrim had to involved writing was what - Dawnbreaker? Fallout 4 was Far Harbor? Neither being exactly compelling stories.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously the reason you give it to bethesda isn't for the story, it's for bethesda's mod community's extreme attention to detail in rape mechanics.

• 16Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 16 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fortunately Bethesda also produces, so there may be hope it's another studio with their name on it. (Course it wouldn't be open world then most likely either)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well it isn't like they have to invent the story. They have the books and the TV show to draw from. Adding a ton of small events that you write into an already fleshed out story is much easier than doing everything from scratch.

This is very expected though. Just go back to 2001 when LOTR released and the popularity it gained. For the next 4-6 years tons of games started coming out building on the story of middle earth. Most/all featuring side events that happened along the timeline of the main story.

I have no doubt that when the GOT tv show exploded in world wide popularity 2-3 seasons into it lots of AAA publishers/developers started having creative meetings around RPGs, RTS and MMO possibilities within the GOT world and timeline. Undoubtedly George R.R. Martin, just like the Tolkien estate, will grab the biggest money piles thrown at him for licensing. Bethesda (zenimax) being someone who can deliver on both money for the license and a backlog of games that fit with the type of game that fits with the GOT world along with past game sales that would put $$ in the eyes of anyone with a chance for royalties.

With the TV show expecting to end in 2019, a AAA rpg starting the hype now and releasing in 2018 a year before the final season would make perfect sense. I fully expect more than one GOT related game at E3 2018.

Sulrn

Deuces
I have to admit, I forgot that they do occasionally act as a production company - some of their productions actually have a decent narrative too! :oops:

As far as coat-tailing a story... the LOTR and ASoIF are very different in terms of "world openness". Tolkien left an entire world with crumb trails abound (ie. where are all the other major players during the war of the ring that never get mentioned since the Hobbit / Simarillion). GRRM, not so much. Westeros and Essos are fairly well defined and you can either have some meaningless side-story filling in gaps (Looking at you Cyanide Studios) or something completely irrelevant with no traction. The only hope you really have is to go backwards or forwards in time and come up with a completely new story line (highly unlikely).

• 1Worf

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have to admit, I forgot that they do occasionally act as a production company - some of their productions actually have a decent narrative too! :oops:

As far as coat-tailing a story... the LOTR and ASoIF are very different in terms of "world openness". Tolkien left an entire world with crumb trails abound (ie. where are all the other major players during the war of the ring that never get mentioned since the Hobbit / Simarillion). GRRM, not so much. Westeros and Essos are fairly well defined and you can either have some meaningless side-story filling in gaps (Looking at you Cyanide Studios) or something completely irrelevant with no traction. The only hope you really have is to go backwards or forwards in time and come up with a completely new story line (highly unlikely).

My sincere hope is they don't toss it in the same timeframe. I can't see it being great covering the same timeframe.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have it set in the days leading up to/of Baratheon's war for the crown.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Well, HBO is already talking about a prequel show so any game may have to steer clear of those depending on how involved HBO may be in the game.

spronk

FPS noob
what if its just a remaster of skyrim and they say it takes place 2000 years after Game of Thrones

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Imagine a GOT universe story done like new vegas. Oh man.

(i know bethesda publisher obsidian dev)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If someone can translate the political intrigue of GoT to a video game...good for them. But, uh, good luck. I'm not sure there's really anything else redeeming about the GoT universe. It's almost completely the characters and narrative.

I love the Malazan universe, but please don't make a video game out of it and ruin it more than the last few books did.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The big question is will they finally include nudity and sex in one of their games or will they leave it up to the modders as usual.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
They will also have to remove invulnerability for children!

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Completely fake. Those models are actually attractive and we all know Bethesda can't make a good human face for the life of them.