Underrated Superhero movies

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As soon as movies like Dredd or Hellboy are mentioned (in the OP), I have to assume he really should have named the thread "Underrated Comic Book Movies." Because those certainly aren't superheroes in the traditional sense that I think of them at least. Losers, Constantine, hell half of the movies mentioned here aren't really superhero movies, they just happen to have come from a comic book. So I have to assume that's what Astro really meant.

Another vote for Unbreakable here. I remember taking a bunch of friends to see that, and everyone (including myself) feeling let down when the lights came up at the end. Upon further viewing though, I love the movie. My favorite scene is the one where he stands in the subway with the Enigma-like music playing and touches all the people, seeing the horrible things they've done and deciding who he is going to stop. That scene still gives me the chills every time I watch it (partly because the music fits it perfectly).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As soon as movies like Dredd or Hellboy are mentioned (in the OP), I have to assume he really should have named the thread "Underrated Comic Book Movies." Because those certainly aren't superheroes in the traditional sense that I think of them at least. Losers, Constantine, hell half of the movies mentioned here aren't really superhero movies, they just happen to have come from a comic book. So I have to assume that's what Astro really meant.

Another vote for Unbreakable here. I remember taking a bunch of friends to see that, and everyone (including myself) feeling let down when the lights came up at the end. Upon further viewing though, I love the movie. My favorite scene is the one where he stands in the subway with the Enigma-like music playing and touches all the people, seeing the horrible things they've done and deciding who he is going to stop. That scene still gives me the chills every time I watch it (partly because the music fits it perfectly).
while those films have comic book characters, i did not want to restrict superheroes to just comic book adaptions. and yes the soundtrack to unbreakable is awesome and that scene is great. weirdly enough my favorite scene of the movie is the scene where Mr Glass's mom buys him a comic book and makes him go outside and get it. there is some great acting in that scene.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I get your point, because something like Defendor isn't necessarily a comic adaptation (as far as I know anyway). So we need another term then, because Dredd is not a superhero, but is a comic. Losers qualifies because it is a comic, but something very similar like The Expendables doesn't, because it isn't a comic. So what do we call it?

sole

Molten Core Raider
Defendor, Constantine, and The Punisher (thomas jane) were all great films, and they should be left the fuck alone. A Dredd sequel would be awesome however.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Thomas Jane punisher short from a year or two back was awesome i wish they would let him make another that was just two more hours of that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I get your point, because something like Defendor isn't necessarily a comic adaptation (as far as I know anyway). So we need another term then, because Dredd is not a superhero, but is a comic. Losers qualifies because it is a comic, but something very similar like The Expendables doesn't, because it isn't a comic. So what do we call it?
well i dont want to call them action heroes because that opens the flood gates for an infinite amount of movies. superheroes while not being technically accurate still conveys the message to everyone that the movie must contain costumed people kicking ass in an extreme scale. matrix does count as a superhero flick, but that movie is most definitely not underrated. somebody like rambo meets the superhero criteria, but we all know he is not a superhero. just an angry, practically immortal motherfucker who liquefies brown people by the truckload.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i watched unbreakable for the first time in over 10 years again, it's a good movie if you look at it from Mr. glass' perspective(jacksons) cuz bruce willis/his character/his family/his kid are very boring and a bore to watch.

what ruined it for me was the last few lines of text
where bruce willis turns in mr glass and he is in the mental ward
hell i don't even like sam jackson, i think he ruins most movies with his pulp fiction character, cuz that's the only character he's played that's worth a damn, but he does pretty well here giving
a super villian
a story, actually probably the best one from that perspective.

don't get the wrong idea on this mnite train tho, we (friends) tried to do a m nite viewing... and after signs/the village i couldn't get to lady in the water, it was just too horribad.(airbender was never an option, i don't even know anyone that owns that bluray)

but yea unbreakable... focus on mr glass/ forget the last 10seconds of narration text/ and stop thinking about "with a twist" and it's pretty good.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I disagree with almost everything you said in that post, but movies are always a matter of opinion so I'm not going to belabor it beyond saying that Bruce Willis' character, and the portrayal of his journey, was incredibly well done in my opinion. Even the twist was actually very well done, it just fell flat upon initial viewing for some reason I still can't figure out.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I really liked Push. The movie itself was shit, but the characters and dialogues were interesting enough and the utilization of each person's superpower was very unique.

It might have been a great movie if the script and the direction of the movie were given to a different writer and a director. I still think it should've been given a sequel of sort.

Caliane

I really liked Push. The movie itself was shit, but the characters and dialogues were interesting enough and the utilization of each person's superpower was very unique.

It might have been a great movie if the script and the direction of the movie were given to a different writer and a director. I still think it should've been given a sequel of sort.
yeah, I'll be honest.
I enjoyed Push. As well as Jumper.
(and Limitless while we are at it.)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Limitless is a drug movie. Jumper was truly a shit movie with no redeeming quality. Hayden Christensen is a movie destroyer.