Unique and different ideas for systems in games

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I thought it would be a neat idea to make a thread where people could post unique and different ideas for game systems. Not full games themselves. Just systems, such as methods of crafting things, inventory management, etc. Things that no games really have implemented, but that you think would be really cool. Given we have some game devs here might be some ideas that can make it into their games too.

I'll start with one I brought up in another thread:

Stackable items in an inventory, if each stackable item can be uniquely different despite being the same item, should open up an extra inventory window where all of those items can be stored with all the unique things in it. I've not seen inventory work like this before for stackable items. Usually, you get the excuse of "We can't stack this because even though the item is the same, the item properties can differ". Legion incubators in Path of Exile is a good example of this -- stackable, but only ones that are the same level. Why not have a stack of 40 incubators in your inventory and when you open them another window comes up with each incubator shown.

Another idea I had come to mind was an idea around your equipped items not being something like "boots", or "helmet" or "armor", but instead those slots would be solely cosmetic things. The actual stats from your "gear" would all come from some kind of grid, for example a "Rune Grid" or otherwise a bunch of items that you put together that all gave their own stats, but also gave stats if you grouped them together in certain ways. For example, assume you had a rune grid in a 8x8 section. You have 64 things you can equip, but say these runes can be different colors, and have different symbols. You could then have set piece runes, etc. And if you had say 5 reds touching each other you get a certain bonus, etc etc. Lots of ways you could really make equipment something you managed to great detail similar to how you would manage a skill grid system. Would be an interesting way to play with equipment and allow a player to equip a lot of things, and make it work. Tedious depending on the game, though. But most of all, it won't turn into a goofy system where your equipped items actually have no visual look, but instead your look is solely based around your cosmetic items. IIRC, last epoch did this with totems, but its very basic, and is in addition to your gear on your avatar.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users