Univ. of California to be First College to Give Scholarships For Video Game Players

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Can't be worse than giving scholarships to legally retarded football players.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Most people in esports seem pretty retarded too to be fair

But more people tune into twitch to watch LoL than many, many college sports that get scholarships already. Like ... almost any that aren't football, basketball, baseball.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This was only a matter of time considering that 75% of the kids in lecture halls are playing LoL anyways.

Also we're right next to Blizzard HQ so the Heroes of the Storm scholarship will probably start soon as well.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What... what scholarship is worth someone's ability to lane effectively? Like, in real life. What does that translate to, except other mobas with lanes? Are they going to have special situations for junglers?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think to qualify you'll need to be either a top tier player or a non white or Asian male who completed the tutorial mode.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This was only a matter of time considering that 75% of the kids in lecture halls are playing LoL anyways.

Also we're right next to Blizzard HQ so the Heroes of the Storm scholarship will probably start soon as well.
HotS already has their Dorm tournament which hands out scholorships

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Why do they always announce it only for specific games instead of just making gaming success a reason to ask for one ? PR stunt...

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Because "Riot Games will be supporting the move by funding a new PC cafe on campus for all students to use.".

Hmm so it's pretty much like regular sports scholarships. You get a free ride for playing on the team. Although, given the eSports practice schedules I've seen (like 8+ hours a day) wonder if it would be feasible to do this a get a tough degree like engineering, CS, physics, etc.

Cybsled

Shit tier college. Considering the biggest ESports tournament in the world happens annually a couple of states over, they should be offering a DOTA2 scholarship ;p

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Hmm so it's pretty much like regular sports scholarships. You get a free ride for playing on the team. Although, given the eSports practice schedules I've seen (like 8+ hours a day) wonder if it would be feasible to do this a get a tough degree like engineering, CS, physics, etc.
If it is like a regular sports scholarship they will have limited hours of practice per week. That is assuming the NCAA gets their greedy hands on this and thus the practice hours rule will be invoked. They can always just do what my coaches did and say this practice/film/lift session is "optional"...and we have the "option" to play you.

We become retarded from playing that dain bramage is a real bitch. Fuck CTE!

Pinch_sl

shitlord
The ongoing joke at UCI was that the school could afford a science library or a football team. They still don't have a football team.

Too bad they didn't pick dota.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Personally, I think someone who can game effectively will be better academically. Maybe it's just me. Kudos to them. It's obviously not the other way around normally because so many schools need to skew the books on football players.