Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Like I said, Valheim is certainly a good game and definitely worth $20. I've just been trying to figure out what is "hooking" people to a game that has already been done 100 times prior, especially when some of those games handle these systems even better(and some worse, obviously). To make an analogy, imagine WoW has been released, it's during TBC, DAoC is just past its peak perhaps, Warhammer Online is out, Ultima has seen its heyday already, FFXIV has just come out, and EQ finally releases - that's what Valheim feels like to me. Certainly a good game, certainly something that people can find fun in, but at the end of the day, it just feels like I've already done this game 1000x and I'm kind of left wondering why I'm not just playing WoW.

The progression system is probably the main reason. It's a fresh take on risk vs reward. It's got elements of base building, exploration, combat, masculinity and fantasy.

I think they designed it so you largely feel rewarded just leaving your base. Foraging and wood cutting and exploring all tickle those dopamine receptors in a unique way. Enemies tend to have more bark than bite and the game has a great dynamic where it leads you into wanting to take something new down, makes it seem just difficult enough and just rewarding enough to keep things interesting. The boats are pretty well done, they do require a little patience but only a surprisingly little. The gear progression is deceptively simple, but every ore has a relatively unique way of acquiring it rather than just spreading the same vein model around with slightly different colors like most games are doing. This means each tier is essentially a new game, a new puzzle to solve. The tiers really don't seem punitive either. After acquiring enough Bronze, i was a little dismayed imagining what I would have to do to get Iron but it was surprisingly fun in how they mixed things up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Aim your crosshair at the edge you want to snap to - aim at the edge of the wall, floor tile, the center beam of the roof tiles. etc.
Alright so building in this game is fairly annoying. Is there a hotkey or something Im missing to auto align walls and roofs and shit because they just do not snap to each other correctly or easily.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This game was fun until death mosquitos.

Whoever thought those were a good idea can eat a whole sack of dicks.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This actually pissed me right the fuck off.

I just wanted to be able to break rocks to get them out of the fucking way, but I'm forced to kill some boss just to get access to pickaxes?

so my scrub sister started playing on Tuesday. Two hours in, barely getting her Flint Axe and one piece of leather armor she "accidentally" summoned the boss and called me over for help. By the time I got there, the boss was already down to 40%.

I mean, if you're posting on this board you're probably at least somewhat good at video games, so just go there and spend five minutes (including travel time) to whack the thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard

And their damage is actually nerfed from what it was. Imagine how fun it was when we found a Plains in Bronze gear and Troll Hide armor because we thought that was the next tier. We did get some sick food though!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing that a hardcore gamer is going to get out of valheim, is a shorter experience because the content ends eventually.
This is exactly what I need out of a survival game. Content and goals provided by the game. Which is why I finished Subnautica twice.

if it's just "lol just don't die" and there's nothing to actually do but chase the tech tree, I'm bored within refund time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Survival games have two modes for me:

Kill All The Bosses

or

Kill All The Other Players

I personally like the latter, but balancing PVP/Base Defense/LAG is always a mess in these games.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
And their damage is actually nerfed from what it was. Imagine how fun it was when we found a Plains in Bronze gear and Troll Hide armor because we thought that was the next tier. We did get some sick food though!

Yea I stumbled in to the plains the same way. Spent like an hour clearing a goblin camp once I saw them drop the dark ore or whatever.

Finally carted it all back home and I can't smelt it in my smelter. REEEEEEEEEEE time to look elsewhere I guess.

Caliane

More on the "I wish it was more like terraria" thing.

That deer boss should have a 25% chance or more to spawn during thunderstorms, after you build your bed. and he'll leave after the storm ends, if you fail to kill him. auto spawning bosses, or accidently summoning them in Terraria, is a great element. I can't speak on the later ones, but the deer boss should def work more like the Eye.

Chase the tech tree. yeah. I like sandboxs. but, thats also a problem Kenshi has. its research paper system is a bit weak. its weird. you end up raiding ancient sites just for research paper to unlock research, which you don't really need if you are already raiding those sites. some mods add dynamic 4x elements. the tech research should be enabling you to go take on the dangerous locations, not the other way around.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm starting to get frequent attacks on my base

guess it's moat time

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Workerbee

Molten Core Raider
This actually pissed me right the fuck off.

I just wanted to be able to break rocks to get them out of the fucking way, but I'm forced to kill some boss just to get access to pickaxes?

Technically, you can draw a Troll wielding a tree to a copper node and he'll mine it for you if you position yourself well before he smashes that tree down. Same for Core & Fine wood.
So you don't necessarily need to defeat ANY bosses to mine copper&tin, you do need to beat Treant Elder to mine iron though.

Are you actually already in the Plains Biome naturally by progressing through the game as it was meant to or did you wander in there aimlessly because you were lost?
Anyway, I'd suggest you practice your bow skills. A guy I play with on my server basically one-shots the Sqitoes with the bow (Huntsman bow, no upgrades), but his Bow skill is like 50. First shot before anything notices you counts as surprise/backstab/ambush shot which means it does triple damage. Use it. Oh, we use wooden arrows because we're cheap bastards.

Btw, whomever found that village full of Draugr spawners, that village is great for farming Intestines for sasusages. Also good spot for practicing Bow skills ;)

so my scrub sister started playing on Tuesday. Two hours in, barely getting her Flint Axe and one piece of leather armor she "accidentally" summoned the boss and called me over for help. By the time I got there, the boss was already down to 40%.

I mean, if you're posting on this board you're probably at least somewhat good at video games, so just go there and spend five minutes (including travel time) to whack the thing.

Is your scrub sister hot?

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
You can make a moat around your base and fill it with tamed boars and wolves.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

God damned, I'm feeling so attacked right now! (LOL)

But seriously, there's a few reasons. 1, I thought I saw someone post that they had to kite it with a bow forever (?) so I figured it might actually be difficult. 2, I'm a little (autistic?) and there's a FUCKING ROCK in the middle of my starter house because someone (me) starting throwing up walls, and I ended up tunnel-visioned on PUNCHING THE ROCK (also LOL). And 3, I owe Utnayan Utnayan some drunk gaming, and I was wondering if I should stop playing until I have a chance to log onto the FOH discord, get drunk, and be a fucking retard.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This game is only $20. I've never really had an affinity towards survival games, but this one is getting a lot of positive reviews. Is it worth playing? And should I try to play with a couple of friends being that I'm not really experienced in these types of games, or will I be fine on my own?

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless your intent is to PVP or something, you will be fine by yourself and/or with friends. It's pretty forgiving at the start, while you figure things out. There's no real tutorial or anything, it just sort of leads you into gameplay.

For PVP, you'd likely be joining a server and I would imagine it would highly depend on how old/active that server is to how quickly you get corpse camped.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is only $20. I've never really had an affinity towards survival games, but this one is getting a lot of positive reviews. Is it worth playing? And should I try to play with a couple of friends being that I'm not really experienced in these types of games, or will I be fine on my own?
IMO the game is so much better with friends, plus some of the mechanics really favor doing things with multiple people such as carting copper out of the black forest when you have more than one pickaxe to wear down.

Also having multiple players doesn't trivialize combat either, some areas are very cramped and you can't just plow through a dungeon with five guys spam attacking.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Even though I sucketh at building, am only about an hour into the game, IMO yes. To have a Morrowind approach to leveling (the more you use it, the more it levels), survival game, with big bosses? All for $20?

IMO, it's a no brainer. The "play with friends" option is just icing.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I have noticed with several people, sometimes the dungeons "lock out" some?

There are limits in dungeons?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have noticed with several people, sometimes the dungeons "lock out" some?

There are limits in dungeons?
What kind of limit are you talking about? we had up to three people inside them.
Sometimes it's just sync issues and waiting 2 minutes worked it out for us.