Valve adds paid modding

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Well seems I have no reason to buy certain games anymore.....like Bethesda games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This might be the dumbest move valve has ever made.

They're getting greedy I guess.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Making it possible for modders to make some money from doing so doesn't some like an inherently bad thing. Steam, Valve, etc benefit greatly from modding and the people doing that work get fuckall. The problem is them taking 75% off the top.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I would rather pay modders directly than pay Valve 75% for something that was free. Fuck that they won't get a dime for mods from me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
8xeha9b.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Making it possible for modders to make some money from doing so doesn't some like an inherently bad thing. Steam, Valve, etc benefit greatly from modding and the people doing that work get fuckall. The problem is them taking 75% off the top.
Charging money for mods seems like a violation of pretty much every EULA on the planet, since they tend to explicitly forbid making a profit by altering the software, but those don't carry that much weight, so whatever.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I do wonder how people would've reacted at this if the modder got a much bigger cut. It's hard to buy that Valve is doing this for the good of modders when a majority of the money is going into Valve and Bethesda's pockets. It looks less like rewarding modders and more like Valve just carving out a new revenue stream for themselves.

But overall, I don't see this as too surprising. Gabe has talked a lot in the past about wanting to reward content creators, which we've already seen in TF2 and DotA2. This is them basically taking the TF2 hat model and applying it to other games, but I think the backlash is understandable. Not only is this move a lot more transparent than previous things Valve has come up with (eg market for cards and emotes), but mods are something that have been free for decades. The ironic thing is for as much as Valve has done to combat pirating with Steam, this is a move that will likely push people back to pirating as they look for copies of mods that used to be free. And how does Valve police that really?

I suppose the one upside to this is it might encourage more developers to start include modding tools in their games.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I only had a few hours of sleep, so let me rant a bit:

Valve is monetizing something they don't offer support for past the 24 hours after you bought and the "support" consists of getting your money back and I'd be surprised if it's full refund instead of just steam wallet money. There's zero quality control, which is terrible, as shown by the mobile market. Saying that you can report infringing mods is bullshit, you can't leave yet another aspect of selling them to the community - policing that you sell legal content. For this system to be fair and not to be ran to the ground by those seeking to exploit it, modders have to play whack a mole with those trying to make 100 $, while Valve has no responsibilities. I repeat: if you are a modder for a game that has paid workshop, you have to deal with another layer of bullshit to not be exploited. Now don't get me started on mods that were made by several people, or spawned off of other people's stuff.

There is also no guarantee that what you bought is even going to work together, unlike TF2/Dota 2 where the stuff is rather small and self contained. Who is going to give you your money back when the mods update and break the delicate chain you created, not to mention how is this shit supposed to work without SKSE/Mod Loader, which exist for almost every game that's heavily modded. The workshop is extremely limited when it comes to the breadth of tools most games get on top to make mods work. I'm sure whoever made this decision will get nice review in Valve for making them money, but it's 50 shades of bullshit. The cut modders get is the smallest part of the problem, but to see somebody charge 75% cut for what amounts to adding a cash sign next to your stuff is not helping.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm mostly wondering how this will impact the collaborative nature of the modding community. Now that there's profit involved, they've all essentially been put in competition with each other. Why share my work with another modder if that results in a mod that might undercut my own?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm mostly wondering how this will impact the collaborative nature of the modding community. Now that there's profit involved, they've all essentially been put in competition with each other. Why share my work with another modder if that results in a mod that might undercut my own?
Or just package a part of their mod with yours
Nwn2 did this all the time

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah this is just one huge clusterfuck. Sometimes Valve's model of having no functional leadership simply leads to people going "hey, this is a great idea, I bet we'll make buckets of cash!" and then no follow through on actually considering the broader implications.

Paying for mods seems like a stupid as shit idea across the board to me.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
First thing I thought was "I wonder how /r/pcmasterrace, an entire community that WORSHIPS Gabe Newell, is handling the news." Exact expectations were met.... place is literally on fire.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This doesn't sound like an absolutely terrible idea, the execution however seems to be way way fucked. They probably should have worked with Nexus and other mod sites to port an "official" list of the best mods, have a curator/greenlight system, have a lot of failsafes, and obviously, not take 75% of the fucking money. And even then, making money out mods that might not only break one copyright, but several(like any game mods that converts stuff into another franchise stuff, say lotr, starwars, all the anime shit and so on) sounds like the stupidest fucking idea. How are they not gonna get tons of complaints from the original creators of the content for reusing it in games and getting paid for it, did none of the lawyers, and I assume they have a lot at Valve, figure that out?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All I know is if I had to pay for XCom Long War, I'd murder as many people as Valve as I could. As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing is innocence there, only degrees of guilt.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
pWOgvYM.png

The internet is not amused. This whole shit show is just being handled so poorly. As others have said, mods are already being stolen en masse--and there is no incentive for many to share work now, at all.