Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

calla_sl

shitlord
again, you dont play vg to race to 55, you play vg to try out all the different dungeons using a bunch of alts. moorgard has done a nice job communicating and stuff but he's also made this game incredibly easy. race to 55 and you'll be bored b/c the end game in vg is pretty shitty

Jx3

Riddle me this...
So herp derp, I was using the wrong log in. Oh well, time to relearn how to play my shaman. Need to find mah Summon bear button

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any recommendations for where to go at 25+? I'm just started playing my DK again after several years, so I am very rusty (and my abilities seem fucked up).

Malkav

French Madman
Damn you guys made me want to check it out again.
Loading my old SOE press account, this thing always comes in handy.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
trengal's keep/cis
Damn, I was hoping for something new- those were the places to be back when I put the game down years ago. No biggie. Does anyone have a link to a good leveling guide or a site that lists zones/levels/quests/loots?

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
What would be a class that has good solo ability and could fit easily in any group?
I was enjoying Paladin but it seems that the class doesn't bring a lot to the group when not tanking and most of the groups I see pop up already feature tank and healer.

calla_sl

shitlord
What would be a class that has good solo ability and could fit easily in any group?
I was enjoying Paladin but it seems that the class doesn't bring a lot to the group when not tanking and most of the groups I see pop up already feature tank and healer.
any dps class i suppose. i think the casters are easier to solo with as long as you learn to kite.

Anything. Pally is just as good as being a dps as any of the other tanks really, same goes with any class that can 'kind of' switch roles. The classes tend to only really be good at their main role, and anything else you just do as best as you can do and let the group carry you along.

As for soloing.. Vanguard is shit for soloing, but here's why any class will work. The adventuring content of the game is basically split in half. Half of it is for groups, and half of it is for soloing. The solo content is boring as fuck, kill 20 bats, kill 50 wolves, kill 5000 spiders, whatever. It's also designed to be easy, and any class can do it if you take your time and you can play well. So better or worse classes, it doesn't really make any difference, even the shittiest class can still solo because the solo content is all wussy mobs that can be killed with your eyes closed.

Then the other half of the game is group content, and that stuff is just too hard no matter what class you pick. Yeah there are a few exceptions, a few dungeons have easier mobs than usual, and a few of the classes are insanely overpowered (DK and Disciple), so they can solo in these places. But still, soloing in group content is generally a waste of time too because it takes ages to kill stuff and no matter what class you pick, you still can't do the more interesting content anyway. It's not like EQ unfortunately, because there are no mobs you can solo that have anything of value, and it takes so long, it's never good XP either.

So basically, if you want to mostly solo, play some other game for sure. Get SWTOR or The Secret World, they have really good solo content. Their group content is not as good as Vanguard and their worlds are not as big too, but apparently we can't have everything.

Martyr_sl

shitlord
yeah Vanguard has done a great job with providing content for every type of group / solo style you wish to play.

I almost forgot about the fact how nice the game divides mobs into 5 types.

1 dot = almost sure ohk =P some mob pets and stuff
2 dot = standard mob for solo, this seams to be the most spreaded type
3 dot = harder mob for two or three players
4 dot = full groups
5 dot = Raid mobs?

While its true that you can solo with every class, I remember I could solo 4 dot mobs with my cleric. It took a fucking lifetime to kill the mob, but he could do it. My ranger bud couldn,t, i had to help him.
So it was sometimes useful and challeging to solo group quests as a cleric.

edit: I think some mobs have even 6 dots as far as i remember, but rare and only bosses

netherbian_sl

shitlord
Always loved this game but couldnt justify it against all the other options. Now that im bored as shit with everything else, however, I started up again the other day. Name is Netherbian, 22 Disc. Always looking to group so shoot me a tell if you want to group.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I just tried to login with the 4 or 5 different accounts that I may have used at some point. Each one I login to doesn't have my characters from way back. Sad face.

I had an account that I hadn't logged in for 5 years and my characters were still on there. If you are definitely sure there should be characters on the account, then you could make a support 'ticket' with SOE and they'll help you out.

Although either way, starting a new character is often nice to do anyway. Because it teaches you how to play again, and the lower levels are kinda fun anyway. For me at least.

yeah Vanguard has done a great job with providing content for every type of group / solo style you wish to play.

I almost forgot about the fact how nice the game divides mobs into 5 types.

1 dot = almost sure ohk =P some mob pets and stuff
2 dot = standard mob for solo, this seams to be the most spreaded type
3 dot = harder mob for two or three players
4 dot = full groups
5 dot = Raid mobs?

While its true that you can solo with every class, I remember I could solo 4 dot mobs with my cleric. It took a fucking lifetime to kill the mob, but he could do it. My ranger bud couldn,t, i had to help him.
So it was sometimes useful and challeging to solo group quests as a cleric.

edit: I think some mobs have even 6 dots as far as i remember, but rare and only bosses
Yeah 6 dots are the top, you get them in dungeons and raids. I can actually solo 6 dots sometimes with my Dread Knight, but again, it's not really worth it because it takes ages and it's dangerous. In EQ, if you had a strong solo class like a Necro or something, then it was worth trying to solo the Arch Mage or whatever because you could maybe get yourself an item worth 3000 plat or so. Vanguard just doesn't work like that. There are very few items worth a lot of money, and most of them are crafted or not soloable anyway (eg: Finch items from the drop boxes).

So really it's best to just play whatever class you like, and solo whatever you can without making life hard for yourself. If something is too hard, just find a group and you will blast through it fast and it will be far better xp, and far more fun.

The dots system works kind of like this:

1 DOT - very easy, usually dies in a few seconds

2 DOT - standard soloable mob, usually quite easy to kill unless it's higher level than you. Any class should be able to solo these mobs.

3 DOT - Many classes can solo these, some can't. Groups should be able to kill them in a few seconds.

4 DOT - the standard group mob, most dungeons are full of 4 dot mobs everywhere. Some classes can solo these, but they are a longer and harder fight for anyone. Groups should be able to kill them quite easily, if it's alone.

5 DOT - the stronger group mob, most dungeon nameds will be 5 dots. It's not MUCH harder than the 4 dot, but they are still pretty tough. Again, some classes can solo these but it would take a long time and it would be dangerous. Groups should be able to handle them just fine though, if it's alone.

6 DOT - the big bad boss of dungeons, and raid mobs. One or two classes might be able to solo these, in some cases, but it's an extremely hard fight and takes very long to kill. Groups should be able to handle it, but you need to try to get it alone. Some of them have companions/pets that you can't separate, but you need to get rid of any roamers first. If it's a 6 dot in a dungeon, it's basically guaranteed to have pretty nice loot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played in a couple of years but when I did...

Bard was my main character, there wasn't much to it, you just click a premade song and spam 3 hotkeys to fire off your abilities. Me and another bard were almost always the top DPS spots in our raid, except for a few cases where you had to run away from AEs or something. I still liked the bard even though it was pretty simple/boring to play most of the times, the groups DPS would just be so much higher than when I played non-bard alts. Also the bard was a fuckinghorriblesolo class. Yes you could solo but the mobs took so long it wasn't worth it, if you were kiting. If you were just melee DPSing it before you died, it took forever because you have to regen to full every time.

Disciple was by far my most favorite class, and I ended up playing it more than anything. Can solo tons of shit, and survive things most other classes can't while still doing enough DPS to make soloing worth it. Awesome farming class, and if you duo with a tank, the amount of shit you can kill goes up by a lot.

Wizard and Psionist were great kiting solo classes. Psi was my favorite just because they had all those other weird abilities/mez.

Necro was a fun class, and I liked the pet abilities thing, but the soloing felt really slow in the mid levels and I kind of gave up on it.

Ranger was a good solo class at lower levels, but mid level it definitely slowed down...still a pretty fun class all around I thought.

Blood mage was pretty fun just because it was so unique. Decent soloers, but nothing to brag about. Mine ended up parked in APW as a summon bot once I discovered the joy of the disciple.

Dread knight was a decent solo class if I remember right, but I never really got in to tanks that much...always had more fun out doing tanks as a disciple :p

I'd love to get on and dick around once in a while but the station launcher never gets past the first "Loading Graphics" thing.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just started playing again and I'm deciding which character I want to bring to end game. My highest at the moment is a DK, but he is still low atm (25). Anyone with end game or DK knowledge want to comment on: 1. the soloability of DKs through the levels up to end game; 2. DK group utility and desirability; 3. end game/raid evaluation; and 4. just general info, like how much fun they are to play beyond early levels, etc.

calla_sl

shitlord
1. dks are one of the best solo classes in game.
2. a tank is a tank. won't really get far in any sort of content w/o a tank in the group/raid
3. dc is a good debuff. tanks are always needed
4. thats all relative. if you have fun playing your dk, keep playing. raiding guilds wont turn you away b/c youre a dk, they'll turn you away b/c you either suck or youre a douche.